CDR Question(s)

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

CDR Question(s)

Post by 13obo »

On CDR, I've re-read the manual many times, but wanted to see if my understanding is correct:

Your country's culture PER TURN is compared to TOTAL Decadence from start to calculate the CDR of your country? I.e. CDR = culture (per turn) / decadence (total).

This would explain why my citizens producing 5-6 culture each are not enough to offset the 0.5/1 decadence generated by provinces?
WhapXI
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: CDR Question(s)

Post by WhapXI »

I believe it's a running average of your culture from the last 25 turns that's tallied against your decadence score.

Also, note that decadence in a province does sort of level off after a while. Decadence accumulates in provinces, and 1/10th of the value is wiped away automatically each turn. So even if you are getting 0.85 decadence per turn per province due to nation size, it will eventually cap out at 8.5 per province (since both 0.85 and 0.85 will be lost and gained every turn). At this level, you only need two pops working culture to beat this. Combined with buildings and things it's actually quite simple to overtake the decadence. The real issues comes 200 years down the line when you're getting as much decadence or more from your nation's age than from all of your provinces combined.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

WhapXI wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:02 pm ... and 1/10th of the value is wiped away automatically each turn. ...
Heya thanks for the reply! I had no idea about this mechanism that doesn't seem mentioned in the manual but if existing would indeed make the concept a lot more understandable. Where did you see this value?

Edit: thanks for making an account just to reply to me! I feel very honoured.
WhapXI

Post by WhapXI »

13obo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:13 pm Heya thanks for the reply! I had no idea about this mechanism that doesn't seem mentioned in the manual but if existing would indeed make the concept a lot more understandable. Where did you see this value?
On the region viewer (where you see all the buildings and pops and such), one of the circles in the top left is the value of the accrued decadence. Hovering over it brings up a tooltip advising of decadence gain and loss, and the text mentions that it all decreases by one tenth per turn!

I too was very worried that decadence would become an insane and ballooning figure throughout the game.

This also applies to the decadence from buildings and stuff. If you have 0.25 per turn from a monument or something, this all still adds to the same total per turn, and will level off at an extra +2.5 decadence in total in the province before leveling off. Which is very much worth the +10 culture.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

WhapXI wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:37 pm On the region viewer (where you see all the buildings and pops and such), one of the circles in the top left is the value of the accrued decadence. Hovering over it brings up a tooltip advising of decadence gain and loss, and the text mentions that it all decreases by one tenth per turn!

I too was very worried that decadence would become an insane and ballooning figure throughout the game.

This also applies to the decadence from buildings and stuff. If you have 0.25 per turn from a monument or something, this all still adds to the same total per turn, and will level off at an extra +2.5 decadence in total in the province before leveling off. Which is very much worth the +10 culture.
Ahhhhh, you've cleared it all for me! Thank you very much. It's strange that this -10% decadence decay is never mentioned anywhere in the manual... Maybe it was added after the manual was created?

In any case, your monument example is also great but makes me wonder what's the point of adding decadence/culture simultaneously from the same building when it could just give 7.5 culture with (almost) exactly the same effect. Well, I guess not quite given that if CDR = C / D, then (C + 7.5) / D yields a slightly higher value than ( C+10)/ (D+2.5).
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

WhapXI wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:02 pm I believe it's a running average of your culture from the last 25 turns that's tallied against your decadence score.
The culture value is the average of: (your current culture + the average from the last 25 turns). So this means that your current culture has a larger impact on CDR than 1/25, but it is highly tempered by your history (once you've played a number or turns anyway).
findthesource

Post by findthesource »

13obo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:49 pm In any case, your monument example is also great but makes me wonder what's the point of adding decadence/culture simultaneously from the same building when it could just give 7.5 culture with (almost) exactly the same effect. Well, I guess not quite given that if CDR = C / D, then (C + 7.5) / D yields a slightly higher value than ( C+10)/ (D+2.5).
I think that the culture is multiplied by loyalty. So, for example, if the region has 50 loyalty, the monument provides only 5 culture per turn for the CDR calculation purpose.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”