All my neighbors declare war to me ...

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

PDiFolco
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

All my neighbors declare war to me ...

Post by PDiFolco »

Started 2 games as Acheans then Carthage, each time in 10 turns all the neighboring nations declare war to me, whatever their previous relations (eg Numidia with +50 to Carthage declares war)...
I didn't do anything against them, even sent gifts sometimes..
Is that normal ?
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: All my neighbors declare war to me ...

Post by loki100 »

if they think you are weak - yes.

You need to convert the good relations to co-operation or alliance to protect yourself
Grim.Reaper
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Grim.Reaper »

I am no expert in ancient times....but did everyone attack other people for the sole reason they were viewed as weak?

Just seems there should be more to it...
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Grim.Reaper wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 pm I am no expert in ancient times....but did everyone attack other people for the sole reason they were viewed as weak?

There is more to it.

If you go into diplomacy after they declare war any try for peace you will see all the reasons why they declared war on you.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

Grim.Reaper wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 pm I am no expert in ancient times....but did everyone attack other people for the sole reason they were viewed as weak?

Well take the OPs example. The smaller Greek states are vulnerable as they share objectives. Carthage holds objectives for Numidia. So the AI is trying to grab its goals. The Gallic tribes are set up with overlapping objectives.

Solution, if you have +50 relations convert it to something more reliable. I've played 2 recent MP games with Carthage, in one I got a useful alliance out of Numidia. In the other they attacked, so I fought defensively till I could free my main army from the standard Sicilian war
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

loki100 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Well take the OPs example. The smaller Greek states are vulnerable as they share objectives. Carthage holds objectives for Numidia. So the AI is trying to grab its goals. The Gallic tribes are set up with overlapping objectives.

Solution, if you have +50 relations convert it to something more reliable. I've played 2 recent MP games with Carthage, in one I got a useful alliance out of Numidia. In the other they attacked, so I fought defensively till I could free my main army from the standard Sicilian war
Ok, thanks...I was just commenting based on the original response of being "weak" as the reason but is good to hear that it is based on other things as well.
rs2excelsior
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rs2excelsior »

I've noticed similar behavior. My current game as Rome, I'm ~70 turns in and I don't think I've been at peace yet, and very few of the wars I've been involved in were declared by me. Before I could finish off the Senones, I was at war with most of the rest of Italy--including one turn where I got 3 separate war declarations at once (they might have been allies, but I doubt they'd had time to get to a 50+ opinion alliance in the short time since things had started.

Then between wars my allies called me into (allies I went looking for since I was at war with nearly all of my neighbors at one point), plus my few offensive wars I've declared... it's been a ride so far :o

Now if you'll excuse me, I have three separate factions which all declared a civil war on me in the same turn which I need to deal with.
PDiFolco
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by PDiFolco »

loki100 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:37 pm if they think you are weak - yes.

You need to convert the good relations to co-operation or alliance to protect yourself
No time to do it, and even cooperation don't prevent AI to dow you, happened with Spain when playing Carthage...
Alliance chances are pitiful never more than 5%
Tssha
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Tssha »

Yeah, the dogpiling on the player gets ridiculous. Diplomacy never works, you simply have to fight everyone else to the death to survive (seriously, no nation comes begging to me for peace despite me being on the brink of defeating them? I mean, it's their funeral, I'll happily club them to death with their own arm once the other three nations stop getting in potshots). One game, I didn't even own any of the other nation's objectives, they conquered an independent province next to me and declared the next turn.

AI should at least be tweaked to dogpile less at the lower difficulty levels. Methinks they don't have a lot of options and the non-existent penalty to declaring war makes it an easy option. In fact, it seems like the only option they ever use.

I mean, a coalition war might make sense if you're a rising power like Rome, but when you're just starting out, you shouldn't have everyone and their mother declaring war on you. It's the kind of game environment that just feels broken, even if it isn't.
Gilmer
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Gilmer »

I had one ask for peace, but it was after stomping them for many years. We went back and forth, but I kept destroying large armies they built.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”