Can you choose battle size in Empires?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

slithpile
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Can you choose battle size in Empires?

Post by slithpile »

I've been greatly enjoying FOG II. But I tried the Julius Caesar campaign and gave up immediately. The first battle is too big. I don't enjoy battles that large and IMO battles that large don't play to the strengths of the FOG rule set and UI.

So my question is: in Empires, can you choose the size of the battles you fight? Or is the battle size decided for you by the circumstances of the larger map layer?
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Can you choose battle size in Empires?

Post by HeinzHarald »

slithpile wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:58 pm I've been greatly enjoying FOG II. But I tried the Julius Caesar campaign and gave up immediately. The first battle is too big. I don't enjoy battles that large and IMO battles that large don't play to the strengths of the FOG rule set and UI.

So my question is: in Empires, can you choose the size of the battles you fight? Or is the battle size decided for you by the circumstances of the larger map layer?
You are talking about exported battles? In that case after exporting you can edit a text file and change the ageod cost/budget that FoG2 uses to create armies (before loading the battle in FoG2) and presumably get smaller battles that way. Haven't tried it myself though.
slithpile

Post by slithpile »

Thank you. If anyone gives it a go let me know if it works (both exporting to FOG II and importing back into Empires).
sage3
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by sage3 »

I have the same problem. I don't like large battles as they take too much time away from the strategy game. I think a battle I can play in about 10 minutes is perfect, and a 20 minute battle every one in while is okay. Editing the export file every time I fight isn't a good solution. I've played around with some of the script files, but don't know javascript well enough to do this. Personally I think there should be a battle size scale slider that also adjusts the number of sub generals as well as number of units. I could see small - med - large type values that just works on a multiplier for the conversion.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Well, a good portion of units in Empire export to one unit, others to two. So I would say that past 20 units per side in Empires, you are going to get a big battle in FOG II. Rule of thumb, but with a bit of experience, you'll find what are the values that are acceptable to you, no need to tweak anything.

Also, you can concentrate on difficult battles only. Don't feel forced to play all Empires battles in FOG II !
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”