ROME CHARGES INTO BATTLE! Battle Export System

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

ROME CHARGES INTO BATTLE! Battle Export System

Post by Daniele »

Check lionheartx10 playing Field of Glory: Empires and testing the Battle Export System!

MojoAmok
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: ROME CHARGES INTO BATTLE! Battle Export System

Post by MojoAmok »

Going by this one video, it looks like semi-competent FOG 2 play will get better results for the player than the FOG:E auto-resolve feature. Lionheart is a very watchable Youtuber, but that wasn't deft play and he still managed to get a rather decisive victory despite not really understanding some of the core FOG 2 mechanics and controls.

Well...I suppose that was inevitable if my guesstimates of player dominance vs. AI in FOG 2 are correct.

What would be some good ways to alleviate this and have us export to FOG 2 without it being easy mode? Perhaps have a harder setting where the AI receives extra troops in an exported battle? Obviously, I don't expect changes before release given how close we are, but maybe a post-release patch or a mod.
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: ROME CHARGES INTO BATTLE! Battle Export System

Post by loki100 »

I'd broadly agree, you can also slip around the effects of the Empires frontage rules via FoG2 (though you may still get some very interesting and challenging battle maps). Worth stressing, again, Empires has not been balanced for use of FoG2, its balanced for its internal battle system. There are too many variables when you use FoG2 but player skill, knowing how the FoG2 AI plays and the differing ways that frontage applies can all convert a hard to win battle into a relatively easy one (or possibly vice versa).

Now since at the moment Fog2 comes into play with you vs the AI then its all a matter of taste. I think like a lot of people I started doing a lot of conversions then more or less reverted back to using Empires unless the situation looked really interesting in terms of the force match up.

Good thing is there are plenty of balances in Empires, so you still get a challenging game, even if you make a lot of use of Fog2 (and are good at it). So say for the sake of argument, FoG2 makes it easier to win battles, well set the overall game difficulty one notch harder - you're get caught out by all the mechanisms that punish ill-judged expansion or simply catch up with a long standing Empire. Your tactical wins will get partly swamped in the wider strategic challenge.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”