Defensive realms

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

haircuts
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Defensive realms

Post by haircuts »

Haven't been fortunate enough to get a chance to beta FoG:E so was hoping someone would be able to comment on my question!

Will there be a chance to create realms that are defensively focused. I.e they are not aggressively expanding, creating empires etc., but are focused on a growing economy and manpower and playing diplomatically, defending against invasions etc.

Also not related question: are there nomadic factions? If so how would they be played?

Thanks and can't wait!
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Defensive realms

Post by Tamas »

Is it possible to make an inward-looking country viable in terms of survival and prosperity? Of course, thanks to the economy and the buildings (check the developer diaries!), a carefully managed economy can make the same returns as a not-so-well managed larger country's, and the way battles work (it is not merely numbers, but army composition and matching terrain that wins battles), allows you to stand up to countries larger than you.
There is no universal recipe of course, some small countries will have it easier than others, but it is definitely possible. I find it quite enjoyable to carefully manage my small nation's resources and population to get growing - even if I usually decid eto use that growth for conquest.

In terms of winning the game: yes, to a degree. The way Legacy Points (the victory points of the game) work, what's important is to do well compared to your original situation, not to be the absolutely biggest on the map. This is the ancient world and the time of upstart and falling empires, so conquest is pretty hard to avoid if you want to be the overall winner. But it is certainly not the only consideration.

If by nomadic factions you mean one where the player can just uproot and move their "country" around the map, then no. Some of the big migrations of the era are represented by historical events.
haircuts

Post by haircuts »

Thanks Tamas! Meant to reply over the weekend but was busy with some work.

That's just what I wanted to hear! I'd love to be able to find a relatively small enclave somewhere, the Caucasus or Sicily perhaps, and solidify power there. Let empires come and fall at my walls!

And with regards to nomads, I saw there are Sarmatians, so was wondering how they work. Whether they have cities, or they are herders with special mechanics. Thanks!
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

I would suggest then you try Dacia, which is semi-isolated (less than others nations, but still) and have a custom set of 4 defensive buildings to help them.

Steppes Nomads, like Sarmatians, Skythians, Sakas have a custom feature where they have a 'herd' that can move on its own from a region to another (provided the region is within the plausible area where they historically lived, and with Nomadic population). This is a nice asset, rather productive, but I said 'under its own volition'. Meaning one turn it is in your nation, the other, into your neighbor country! :lol:
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”