Thematic and Nikephorian Byzantine formation depths

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

davidharvey1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Thematic and Nikephorian Byzantine formation depths

Post by davidharvey1 »

In the new lists first class thematic cavalry are allowed to fight as a single rank of cavalry armoured drilled bow* Lance swordsman, but elite Tagmata units have to fight in two ranks, one of Lance, one bow

The Byzantine military manuals point to exactly the contrary, that thematic cavalry usually fought in deep 10 rank formations of Lance and bow; while elite units fought in five ranks – as ever byzantine military doctrine was sufficiently flexible to apply either approach depending on the situation. This would point to thematic cavalry generally fighting in two ranks, tagmata generally in one; the military record would suggest some flexibility on either count

Am I missing something, I could be, but this does seem contrary to the historical record, with the list dictating transposition to the opposite to what the sources suggest happened;
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Thematic and Nikephorian Byzantine formation depths

Post by philqw78 »

It makes the Tagmata shock effect worse, but their shooting better if they lose a base, so I believe it is contrary to sensible. But it makes a BG 2 points cheaper than if they were all Bw*
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
davidharvey1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Thematic and Nikephorian Byzantine formation depths

Post by davidharvey1 »

So would the right answer be to raise hands, admit that with so many lists error is possible, and revert to the previous and historically accurate interpretation of allowing both Tagmatic and Thematic cavalry to be in two ranks or one. It’s one small humans error for FOG kind but a bigger deal for Byzantanist. Do hope that some one has gotten round to Choniates, Kinnamos and Birkenmeir and C12th Byzantines won’t have to be an ahistorical mass of mercenaries

Return to “Army Design”