Meerkat Army and other Questions

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Arty1234
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Meerkat Army and other Questions

Post by Arty1234 »

Just bought a Classical Indian Army and a Roman Army

I'm presuming
4 figures on a base is Heavy foot, 3 is Medium foot, and 2 is light foot?
How many figures do you have on a base for archers?
I'm presuming horses are 3 per base?

Finally I see that you can buy 15mm Meerkat soldiers (magister militum). I presume this is a bit of fun. but has anybody written an army list for a pure Meerkat Army?

I tried to buy a Mongul Army for 15mm with Magister Militum. they don't sell 15mm Mongul (I think). do you know who does?

Not sure ive posted this in the right section
Any help much appreciated
petedalby
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Meerkat Army and other Questions

Post by petedalby »

Hi - I can answer some of your questions:

You are correct on basing - although some people use 4 per base for drilled MF to distinguish them from undrilled. Archers will be MF or LF so 3 or 2 respectively.

Cavalry are usually 3 per base but Light Horse are 2. Cataphracts are typically 4 but you struggle to get all 4 on a base so 3 is accepted.

Can't help with the Meerkats.

On the Mongols - check out Tim Porters Wiki. Lots of figure manufacturers are featured.

http://www.madaxeman.com

Have fun
Pete
Arty1234

Post by Arty1234 »

I'm guessing people might substitute the odd base with meerkats for a laugh, but thought it would be a laugh to have a full army

I could base it on an existing army, then just substitute the Meerkats in, ie archers for archers etc. Not sure if Meerkat Camel riders are Elephants or Horses?

I think I have too much free time

I
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Some people can be a bit anal, but providing your Meerkats look like the troops they are supposed to represent, if they are spearmen they have spears, etc., I don't think anybody would mind too much unless it was a really serious competition.
I remember a guy did a Persian army at a competition in Burton and the figures were based on the Persians in the film 300, Rhinos and all. Not historical but great to look at
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
Arty1234

Post by Arty1234 »

Classical Indians only have Medium Foot soldiers, so would you use 3 Archers for drilled and 2 for undrilled?

If so how do you show that some archers are protected and other not? and some poor or average? or do they all have to be the same in each game

Thanks
Arty1234

Post by Arty1234 »

Are Heavy chariots distinguised by using 4 horses and light chariots 2?

Thanks
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

Arty1234 wrote:Classical Indians only have Medium Foot soldiers, so would you use 3 Archers for drilled and 2 for undrilled?

If so how do you show that some archers are protected and other not? and some poor or average? or do they all have to be the same in each game

Thanks
All medium foot are either 3 or 4 figures per base. 2 figures per base is for Light foot and Light horse.
If used at the same time the figures should depict protected troops with some light armour or shields, unprotected with no armour. Opponents should be able to tell the two types apart. If all your troops of that type are the same it is not as important as you must describe the troops fully as they are placed on table. As for the troops' moral there is normally little to show this in figure depiction but you, as said before, must describe them when placed and need to be able to tell them apart during the game so a different colour scheme would suffice
Arty1234 wrote:Are Heavy chariots distinguised by using 4 horses and light chariots 2?
See above, some 2 horse chariots may be heavy and some 4 horse light, depending on their battlefield use, but if you and your opponent can tell them apart its not a problem. Some, allegedly, had three horses
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
prb4
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by prb4 »

Are Heavy chariots distinguised by using 4 horses and light chariots 2?
Heavy chariots should have at least 3 figures on the base, light chariots 2 figures on the base.
The number of horses doesn't show if the chariot is heavy or light.
philqw78

Post by philqw78 »

I think perhaps you mean crew not figures Paul. Though at least one type of 'heavy' chariot has only one crewman
phil

Return to “Army Design”