How to install with Steam?

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

How to install with Steam?

Post by 76mm »

Hi, I just bought this game, and since it sounds like the modding is hosted on Steam, I thought I would try that. I bought the game directly from Matrix and downloaded it, but have not yet installed--should I install the Matrix version? Should I get aSteam key to install via Steam?
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: How to install with Steam?

Post by Cablenexus »

76mm wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:10 pm Hi, I just bought this game, and since it sounds like the modding is hosted on Steam, I thought I would try that. I bought the game directly from Matrix and downloaded it, but have not yet installed--should I install the Matrix version? Should I get aSteam key to install via Steam?
Great you bought the game already ;-)

I assume you already use Steam and know how to activate a key, the key itself you can find in the members area of the Slitherine forum.

You always get a Matrix/Slitherine key AND a Steam key. Sometimes the key used is the same.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Cablenexus wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 pm I assume you already use Steam and know how to activate a key, the key itself you can find in the members area of the Slitherine forum.
Nope, actually I only have one Steam game (CKII), and it was Steam-only, so I bought it through Steam. I've never activated a Matrix game through Steam. So in Steam I'm "activating" Agressors rather than "adding a non-Steam game" (which is another option)?m Do I install the Matrix version or download something from Steam?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

If you want to install via Steam, you don't have to install the stand alone version.
Just redeem a Steam key and activate in your Steam account.
Please check this forum post for on how to redeem Steam keys for your games through your Slitherine's Member area:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=72513

Then you can download it via Steam:
https://support.fanatical.com/hc/en-us/ ... -in-Steam-
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Last night I intalled the Matrix version; it worked fine, but I wanted to play this game integrated with Steam, so I uninstalled the Matrix version and tried to install via Steam. It seemed to install, but when I try to play I get a white screen and, after several minutes, an error message (file not responding...). I don't see any way to uninstall on Steam.

[EDIT] Figured out how to uninstall on Steam, did so and then re-installed. Same problem.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

Hello,
this is almost for sure a problem with antivirus/antimalware/blocker installed on your PC.
Please try to read this and this.
Please let me know if that helped you.
Pavel
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I turned off my anti-virus (Webroot) and started Steam as admin. Problem was not resolved. My patience with Steam is about exhausted at this point. I have Win10 Home, 64 bit.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

OK, one more thing I would like you to try is to check these paths and if they exist:
C:\ProgramData\Kubat Software\Aggressors Ancient Rome\
C:\Users\XXX\appdata\Roaming\Kubat Software\Aggressors Ancient Rome\ where XXX is your Windows username
C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Games\Aggressors Ancient Rome\ where XXX is your Windows username

Please let me know if they are all there.
If yes, please send me file aggressors.log located here C:\ProgramData\Kubat Software\Aggressors Ancient Rome\
We apologize for these problems.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

pavelk wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:31 am C:\ProgramData\Kubat Software\Aggressors Ancient Rome\ YES
C:\Users\XXX\appdata\Roaming\Kubat Software\Aggressors Ancient Rome\ YES
C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Games\Aggressors Ancient Rome\ YES
All those locations are there. Log file attached.

I have the same problem when I try to run the Matrix version as non-administrator, so my guess is even if I run Steam as admin, Steam is not running the game as admin.

Matrix version currently works if I run as admin.
Attachments
aggressors.zip
(12.29 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

The log seems to be ok (I dont see any issue with that.

Can you go to D:\Matrix Games\Aggressors\, right click on Aggressors.exe, go to properties and "Run as Administrator"?
Please let me know if that helped.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

pavelk wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:04 pm Can you go to D:\Matrix Games\Aggressors\, right click on Aggressors.exe, go to properties and "Run as Administrator"?
Please let me know if that helped.
The Matrix-installed version already runs when I run it as admin. It is the Steam version which does not work at all.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

76mm wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:08 amThe Matrix-installed version already runs when I run it as admin. It is the Steam version which does not work at all.
Ahh ok, it seems like the last time it was written to the log was when you were running matrix standalone version.

Can you please try to set the Aggressors.exe file (steam version) to run as admin similarly like it is described here?
If it doesnt help, please drop me an email to info@kubat-software.com and we can do one-to-one support via Skype.
We want you to run the game for sure!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Also besides running the game as admin (like it was suggested by pavelk) you might also have to run Steam client.

How to Run Steam as Administrator:

- Navigate your Steam installation file (By default, it is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam).
- Right-click the Steam executable.
- Follow the above steps to set it to Run as Administrator.
- Restart Steam.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

VPaulus wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 amAlso besides running the game as admin (like it was suggested by pavelk) you might also have to run Steam client.
Hi VPaulus,
thank you for helping us with this issue. I think that 76mm already tried that
76mm wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:36 amI turned off my anti-virus (Webroot) and started Steam as admin.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Yeah. Sorry I've missed that.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

No worries, I am happy you are trying to help us out.
I am pretty sure it must be the admin permissions...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

pavelk wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:15 am Can you please try to set the Aggressors.exe file (steam version) to run as admin similarly like it is described here?
If it doesnt help, please drop me an email to info@kubat-software.com and we can do one-to-one support via Skype.
We want you to run the game for sure!
I've uninstalled the Steam version and am working with the Matrix version. Do you know if I have to delete the Matrix version to re-install the Steam version to test this? I am getting a bit tired of un-intalling/re-installing.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

76mm wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:46 amI've uninstalled the Steam version and am working with the Matrix version. Do you know if I have to delete the Matrix version to re-install the Steam version to test this? I am getting a bit tired of un-intalling/re-installing.
I totally understand it. You dont need to uninstall Matrix version, they should be able to work side by side.
I am still happy to give you one-to-one support on Skype and figure out what is wrong so you have the Steam version running.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I'll try it a bit later, let you know how it works.
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

Hi 76mm,

Since you want to start modding, it's very usefull if you get the Steam version to work.

Please follow instructions in this thread. I sum them up for you.

- First of all there is no need to uninstall the Slitherine version, but it can help to delete the config file in the shared folder so it will be regenerated.

Default location is here:

C:\ProgramData\Kubat Software\Aggressors Ancient Rome (beware, the programDATA folder, not the programFILES folder, it might be hidden in Windows).

Delete the initial config file.

Install the Steam version via your Steam client, but make sure to start your Steam client as an admin. That way all games started within Steam start automatically as admin as well.
Maybe it helps to create any folders where access is restricted otherwise.

When installing the Steam version make sure the installation of the .NET files that might be installed in the background finished their job. This can take a while. Steam shows you a screen that it's installing .NET files. This can take minutes, the process might continue in the background. When you are sure it's finished, make sure to exit Steam complete (not just minimize it) and eventually restart your whole system (I advice this since you mentioned earlier you do not have many Steam games installed, so those .NET files can be the conflict here).

Make sure you start Steam client again. Right click Aggressors in your library and "verify files" for the game in the tab.
Wait till this progress is done.

Now start the game via Steam.

Return to “Aggressors: Tech Support”