C-NaW: AI bug, need explanation

Commander - Napoleon at War is a turn based strategy game that brings gaming back to its roots - it's fun!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

blindsey
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

C-NaW: AI bug, need explanation

Post by blindsey »

I played the 1805 scenario as the Coalition on setting 6 (moderate Coalition) against the AI. I held off the French army along the Vistula river forming a line between Dansk and Warsaw and eventually turned their right flank with cavalry, though it was a fantastic see-saw battle that could have gone either way. I got behind the French line and destroyed their potent artillery and then rolled up the rest of their army. I used the English to start a second front in Northern Italy and I capture Paris in January 1810.

The problem: After killing the French artillery (and maybe all of their cavalry as well, I can't remember but think so), the AI never ever purchased another artillery or cavalry unit for the rest of the game. Not one, just tons of Light and Line Infantry units. I can understand that they may not have been able to purchase cavalry units due to a lack of horses, but what about foot artillery?

Is this a bug or is their an explanation? All responses appreciated.

By the way, I love this game... Thanks Johan!

And I disagree with Slitherine moderator's comment that there aren't lots of potential purchasers out there for Napoleon (and American Civil War) games. In the USA the ACW is the most written about topic of all times, there is plenty of interest in these times/wars and games about them of this period. There are plenty of us old war-gaming grognards lurking about! :)
macattack
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by macattack »

That doesn't sound like a bug.

The game design is based on historical circumstances and a big problem the French had was a lack of horses for cavalry. They depended on allies and conquests for much of their horse needs.

So you gobbling up their land reduced their horses down to a trickle.

As to light and line units, that is a matter of economics. The AI will go with the cheaper units it can buy in volume vs. a higher priced artillery. The infantry also has more utility.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Glad you enjoy the game - we dont have any developer support any more so we are limited in what we can do. Basically just try and get the game running on your PC but we cannot change anything.

Return to “Commander - Napoleon at War”