The Dustbin . . .

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: The KO Final match status

Post by stockwellpete »

Adjudication for the Final

As bbogensc boycotted the final and did not accept the challenge from Ludendorf, the match has been adjudicated in favour of Ludendorf (voting 3-0).
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Winners post your result here . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Adjudication for the Final

As bbogensc boycotted the final and did not accept the challenge from Ludendorf, the match has been adjudicated in favour of Ludendorf (voting 3-0).
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournament results

Post by stockwellpete »

Final result

1. Ludendorf (Carthaginians, Hannibal in Africa 202BC) beat bbogensc (Carthaginians 262-236BC) on adjudication (voting 3-0)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournament diary and news

Post by stockwellpete »

So Ludendorf is the winner of the first FOG2 Knock-out Tournament. Although it was disappointing that a player should boycott the final, I do not think that it is too damaging for the tournament as a whole. Overall, I felt it was very successful with a lot of very close and exciting matches and it was a pleasure for me to organise. There will be another KO Tournament next year, not quite sure yet when it will be, but I think I will wait until we have a good range of medieval armies to use. :wink:
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

Thank you stockwellpete for organising the contest, and thank you everyone who I faced for making the tournament a civil and engaging experience. I enjoyed this tournament a lot, and I learned a lot as well. Definitely looking forward to the next one (no pressure Pete).
Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Kabill »

I'm sad there wasn't a proper outcome to the final - would have liked to have seen how the two Carthaginian armies did against one another - but congratulations to Ludendorf in any case (I feel less bad about you dismantling me in those pre-tournament friendlies now!).
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

A sad end for a player who had some strange issues.....
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Tournament diary and news . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

The 2019 KO tournament will open on Monday 1st April 2019. Recruitment will open during the week commencing Monday 18th March. There will be a maximum of 64 places available. I think the timing works quite well as we will be in Week 9 of Season 4 of the FOG2DL and a lot of players will already have finished their matches. If you have not entered the KO Tournament before it is a "sudden death" competition. You have to win to stay in it.
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: The Discussion thread . . .

Post by Jagger2002 »

I am relatively new to FOG2 and have played around 20 or so multiplayer games now. In all those games, only once have I had the hackles rise up on the back of my neck. My thoughts were that I would play the guy once more and if I got that vague feeling again, I wouldn't play him again. However I have played a lot more AI than multi-player and I know anything can happen in combat. So things have to be pretty outrageous to raise my suspicions. Yet even then, outrageous results happen fairly often vs the AI, so who knows.

I have read of a program which matches uploads/downloads as the mechanism to spot potential redoing of turns. It seems fairly foolproof to me if actually monitored. But if we wanted to remove all doubt, would it not be effective if the matching upload/download program would simply notify the players if there is a mismatch of uploads/downloads? So if both players know, due to an automatic notification, that a turn has been reloaded, then the reloading player should have a darn good reason for the reload. And undoubtedly, it is possible to have to reload due to computer or internet technical reasons. And once or twice, a newbie might forgot that they need to save a turn if they open to view a turn. However it shouldn't be a consistent problem and particularly, the reload should not be matched with outstanding combat results. So with players automatically notified of a reloaded turn, then the players themselves could self police the whole issue of reloading without having to rely on a vague feeling that something funny might be going on.

PS: Also when in multiplayer, the game should notify the player if they attempt to exit the game without saving that it will count as a reload. That would remind the newbie they need to save before exiting and provide assistance to any elderly players suffering from a senior moment.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jagger2002 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:02 pm I am relatively new to FOG2 and have played around 20 or so multiplayer games now. In all those games, only once have I had the hackles rise up on the back of my neck. My thoughts were that I would play the guy once more and if I got that vague feeling again, I wouldn't play him again. However I have played a lot more AI than multi-player and I know anything can happen in combat. So things have to be pretty outrageous to raise my suspicions. Yet even then, outrageous results happen fairly often vs the AI, so who knows.

I have read of a program which matches uploads/downloads as the mechanism to spot potential redoing of turns. It seems fairly foolproof to me if actually monitored. But if we wanted to remove all doubt, would it not be effective if the matching upload/download program would simply notify the players if there is a mismatch of uploads/downloads? So if both players know, due to an automatic notification, that a turn has been reloaded, then the reloading player should have a darn good reason for the reload. And undoubtedly, it is possible to have to reload due to computer or internet technical reasons. And once or twice, a newbie might forgot that they need to save a turn if they open to view a turn. However it shouldn't be a consistent problem and particularly, the reload should not be matched with outstanding combat results. So with players automatically notified of a reloaded turn, then the players themselves could self police the whole issue of reloading without having to rely on a vague feeling that something funny might be going on.

PS: Also when in multiplayer, the game should notify the player if they attempt to exit the game without saving that it will count as a reload. That would remind the newbie they need to save before exiting and provide assistance to any elderly players suffering from a senior moment.
I will draw this to the attention of the relevant folk at Slitherine.
Not sure this is necessary, as the only way you can exit without the game being saved or conceded is to deliberately crash the program using the task manager or other means. You can't simply close the program normally when in MP mode.
Richard Bodley Scott

NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by NikiforosFokas »

Wouldnt be possible for the server to autosave after a specific amount of time (maybe after 2 minutes) or after a specific amount of moves? I do not know much about technical issues (in fact I know nothing) but i think if it is possible will solve the problem of re-load the turn forever.
For Byzantium!!
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Recruitment is now closed.

Post by stockwellpete »

Please post your name and choice of army in this thread.

There will be a maximum of 64 places. It does not matter if someone else has also chosen the army that you want to use. There are no restrictions in this tournament. No mods will be in use in this tournament so please just pick an army from the standard lists. If you wish to enter but need to take a bit more time over your army selection, please just post your name with "army to follow" and then edit your original post when you are ready. Please do not post twice in this recruitment thread as it can throw the numbers out. :wink:

Please note that this tournament will run from Monday April 1st until Sunday 23rd June so you will need to be available for the whole of this period.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournament diary and news . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Monday March 18th - recruitment will open. There are a maximum of 64 places available.
Monday April 1st - First Round matches will start.
Monday April 15th - Second Round matches will start.
Monday April 29th - Third Round matches will start.
Monday May 13th - Quarter-final matches will start.
Monday May 27th - Semi-final matches will start.
Monday June 10th - Final will start.
Sunday June 23rd - the tournament will close.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Tournament diary and news . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

Recruitment is now open. Remember, there is a maximum of 64 places available.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Please sign up for the KO Tournament here . . .

Post by devoncop »

Devoncop......Jewish Revolt
Last edited by devoncop on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
IMC

Post by IMC »

IMC Galatian 280-63 BC

Cheers
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

pantherboy ... Indians 546-599AD
Last edited by pantherboy on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lydianed
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by lydianed »

lydianed - Gepid

EDITED
Last edited by lydianed on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tresantes
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Tresantes »

Tresantes - oh, let’s go with Pyrrhic and see if I can live up to the name!
SpeedyCM

Post by SpeedyCM »

SpeedyCM - Carthaginian Africa 202 BC

edited
Last edited by SpeedyCM on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Knock-out Tournament”