Surprise Over Brooklands

Check Your 6 brings you in the middle of the World War II battles, with a turn-based strategy game that carries the spirit of the dogfights.
UP844
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Surprise Over Brooklands

Post by UP844 »

Has anybody been able to win this scenario playing with the RAF?

I played it at least half a dozen times: the best result I have obtained so far is shooting down four Bf 110 (including the air-to-ground expert), but a lone Bf 110 managed to overfly the factory and destroyed it anyway.

The light AA units are nearly useless: since the attackers are flying at TAL 1, their range is reduced to 2 hexes and they manage to fire one or two times per game (I never saw them causing any damage).

The best placement I devised for the RAF fighters is at the south edge of their deployment area: from there, they move diving 1 level per turn (gaining an extra hex) and then make a Split-S to position themselves at 6 'o clock of a 110. Even with hit chances of 42+%, however, their LMGs very rarely kill a 110 with a single burst and when they manage to intercept the 110's the latter are only three turns away from the factory :cry: .

Any better ideas?
UP844

Re: Surprise Over Brooklands

Post by UP844 »

I made another attempt and this time - surprise! :mrgreen: - I was allowed to set up on the south-west edge of the map instead of the north-east one.

Starting behind the 110's if even worse than starting in front of them, as you have to pursue them (which are flying at speed 4, so you can only gain 1 hex per turn) instead of approaching them with your combined speeds. I only managed to fire twice with two Hurricanes without even scratching the paint of the Jagdbombers, then one (1) of them (and not even an ace or the ground attack expert :shock: ) destroyed the factory with a single attack :( :( :( .

Return to “Check Your 6!”