How Does Multiplayer Work

Check Your 6 brings you in the middle of the World War II battles, with a turn-based strategy game that carries the spirit of the dogfights.
canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

How Does Multiplayer Work

Post by canuckgamer »

The feature that is most important to me is multiplayer. I see it is turned based WEGO and there is not PBEM. If it is WEGO then I assume that both players enter their orders and after both have clicked finished that the program resolves that increment of time. How much real time does a turn resolution cover? Do the players connect up through a Slitherine server similar to the PBEM Field of Glory 2? If this is the case then my friend and I were thinking that we could run Skype while we play. I also assume that you could save the game at any point and continue at a later time. Thanks.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Re: How Does Multiplayer Work

Post by lordzimoa »

Hi,

We do not use Slitherine`s PBEM or servers, we will have real time online MP and Hotseat and that is powered by Gamesparks and their servers (part of Amazon), to read more about what it all can do go here:

https://www.gamesparks.com/product/

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

I checked out the link to Gamesparks and there is a lot of information that I didn't understand. I did see a Pricing link at the top of the page. Is there going to be a charge to game owners to play multiplayer online? I certainly hope not. Thanks.
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

At least it has 'hotseat'. If this game can be played in 'window mode' then 'Team Viewer' could be a viable option for mp over the net.
Michael T
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Michael T »

So is MP going to be free or is there a subscription cost? I think potential customers need to know this information beforehand.
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

If I have to pay a fee to play online I won't be buying it. I don't mind paying for additional planes as they move to other periods of the war as I think that is fair. All the games I own can be played either by PBEM or online and there is no fee. Hot seat is inconvenient and cumbersome and I only play single player to learn a game. I asked this in a previous post and there has been no reply from the developers so I am not optimistic.
Spartan07
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Spartan07 »

We really need an answer as to how this works. It’s very important.
Mike
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

As per 'hotseat', I surely hope that is not powered by Gamesparks. Traditional 'hotseat' is always a good option to have as long as it is done right...meaning not having to access the internet. Lan is also a very good option, 3rd party servers not so much for small genre games. I will say, however, Slitherene's PBEM system is outstanding.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

I'm pretty surprised that this game doesn't use Slitherine's super excellent PBEM+ for multiplayer. It is fantastic, it works, and it's familiar. Why use anything else?
demyansk
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by demyansk »

I agree, wth, the multiplayer doesn't work with the Slitherine login, I know I should have bought it with Steam to get a refund!!!!!
Yogi the Great
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Yogi the Great »

I have to admit that this should have been made very clear to purchasers that the Matrix/Slitherine pbem does not work on this game.

While I bought it expecting to play against the AI for the most part I like most more or less assume that all games purchased from Matrix/Slitherine would use that system. For those that do plan to use pbem it does enter into the purchase or not to purchase decision.
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

I agree with these sentiments. I will certainly not use any system associated with Amazon, for various reasons related to how that company operates.

I think that the multiplayer situation should have been absolutely clear from the beginning.

Pity as the game is quite good.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

If this is not fixed, my last direct Slitherine matrix purchase. I will buy off Steam and then get a refund for these type of situations. I would like a refund now - if possible.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I was really looking forward to this game. Was going to be my first real wargame purchase in over a year. But it appears amateurish to say the least. If this is the direction PC war gaming is taking then I will be sticking to console games for a while yet. It reminds me of the Empires in Arms fiasco of years ago. A great board game turned in to PC trash.
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Due to the quick switch of turns it made more sense to use a real-time MP solution. This is not the only Slitherine game that is not using our PBEM server, needless to say, and "PBEM: No" is indicated on the product page.

I am not sure how a subscription fee was even brought up in this thread. Of course there is no subscription fee to play multiplayer and there never will be. You can register yourself an account from within the game, and use it straight away, and that's all that is needed.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Finally an answer. Hooray.

Return to “Check Your 6!”