The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Post by stockwellpete »

I have been doing some work on the army statistics this morning and this is how the "Enemies of Rome" results turned out . . .

Match up 1: Romans (490-341BC) v Gallics (390-301BC)

Romans won 12 matches, there was 1 tie, 4 matches were drawn and the Gallics won 13 matches

Match up 2: Romans (219-200BC) v Carthaginians, Hannibal in Italy (218-217BC)

Romans won 15 matches, 1 match was drawn, and the Carthaginians won 14 matches

Match up 3: Romans (285-387AD) v Germanic Horse Tribes (260-492AD)

Romans won 11 matches, 6 matches were drawn, and the Germanic Horse Tribes won 13 matches

Match up 4: Romans (425-492AD) v Western Huns (376-454AD)

Romans won 18 matches and the Western Huns won 12 matches

The fifth match-up was a Roman civil war battle. So not a bad set of match-ups with just the last one tipping towards the Romans by a ratio of 3:2.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

The new army ratings statistics are available now . . .

viewtopic.php?f=501&t=84955
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Great job on another completed season :)
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by edb1815 »

Yes thanks to Pete for running the show and posting the stats! :)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Aye. Thanks Pete and Anders.
Richard Bodley Scott

pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

Thanks for all the hard work. Looking forward to the next season.
harveylh
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by harveylh »

My first time in the digital league and I had a lot of fun. Great job done by Pete and all the people who helped him. And kudos to all my opponents who finished their games with me in a timely fashion.

Harvey
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
Herode_2
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Herode_2 »

Same here, first time, and I really appreciated this tournament. Thanks to our tournament organizers, and thanks also to my fellow opponents !
I'm looking forward season 3 - where I'm planning to play the "Herode_2's revenge" branch ;o)
NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by NikiforosFokas »

I want also to thank Pete, hidde and every person who played with me.
For Byzantium!!
gamercb
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by gamercb »

Thanks for running the season Pete and sorry for the lateness is offering my thanks and my latest comments, been away with no internet.

I one of my battles this season, I had the situation where I initially ran away to avoid a bow mounted army to draw them into a position that was more advantageous to me. I actually thought they would thrash me. I then turned and sprung a trap on them which balanced the odds. We were both close to breaking as time ran out, but I was unable to get the last few percentage I needed as when my infantry charged the cavalry, they just evaded. Not the fault of my opponent as we no longer have any control over whether a unit evades or not. Could this be part of the reason for the rise in draws?

I also pick armies I want to play, not because I think they may be the best one to win the league.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

The battle you have described sounds like it was very interesting to play in. Roughly half the draws we are getting are fairly similar to this and I don't regard these matches as a problem. I am not someone who thinks all draws are a negative thing and I regard them as just one possible outcome when a match is played. However, about half the draws now are much more sterile affairs where hardly any scoring takes place after numerous turns, or where players agree a 0-0 draw shortly after the start, or where one player "turtles" their army in terrain near to their baseline against a better opponent. This is the group of matches that needs our attention. In Season 2 these types of draws accounted for around 5% of all matches played (all draws accounted for just over 10% of matches played) so the problem should not be exaggerated. 95% of matches are already well fought out encounters. With the new change to the scoring system regarding draws in Season 3, and the rule change that allows up to two re-starts by agreement in any match, I am expecting the number of sterile matches to fall considerably.
JayJayAwesome
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by JayJayAwesome »

Hi all you tacticians out there :D
I'm happy to have found this game, as is hits very much my taste.
Just like to say hello to everybody here and post some questions.

Is there going to be a 6th division in the classical antiquity if there are enough players?
Is there going to be a tournament or some kind of event in the break before DL-Season 3 starts?

best regards!
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

JayJayAwesome wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:41 pm Hi all you tacticians out there :D
I'm happy to have found this game, as is hits very much my taste.
Just like to say hello to everybody here and post some questions.

Is there going to be a 6th division in the classical antiquity if there are enough players?
Is there going to be a tournament or some kind of event in the break before DL-Season 3 starts?

best regards!
It depends how many players enter Classical Antiquity next season. The maximum number of spaces will be 60 so there can be 6 divisions if the demand is high enough. Recruitment to Season 3 opens on September 17 and the season starts on October 1st.
SimonLancaster

Restarting League Games

Post by SimonLancaster »

I don't like this idea at all. We play on random maps and whatever comes up we should play on.. That is why it is random.

I just played my first mp league match v a phalanx army and got trounced. I set the second game up as per the instructions. The guy I am playing announced on turn 1 that we should restart the game because the terrain was hilly and had a lot of forests. Not good for his phalanx! I don't want to restart because I have some kind of advantage it would seem.. I need to use anything that I can get as for new players fighting a phalanx army can be daunting if you are not the Romans.

Apparently, in previous seasons of the Digital League there wasn't this opportunity to restart matches.

Okay, if two players agree to restart fair enough. But, it should not be deemed obligatory and should be seen to be quite rare in my book. Another player can say no and quite rightly so.

As far as I can see the guy I am playing didn't even set his army up and just believed we would restart.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Restarting League Games

Post by ianiow »

I think it would be better to post this in the 'Field of Glory II Digital League' section. It might be missed here.

For what it's worth I totally agree with you. Not all opponents will show sportsmanship/common sense and might cancel a battle even if the terrain is only slightly against them leaving you having no say in the matter!
Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Barrold713 »

A random map can contain some really preposterous terrain though, so although I agree it has to be a mutually agreed upon restart, there has to be a way to reconcile such a situation.

FightingPoultry and I just had this occur where we huge chunks of the map were rough hills surrounded by difficult slopes. After several turns we we at a stalemate and called it which is the first time I have ever conceded. I then sent an immediate replacement challenge.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

ianiow wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:47 pm I think it would be better to post this in the 'Field of Glory II Digital League' section. It might be missed here.

For what it's worth I totally agree with you. Not all opponents will show sportsmanship/common sense and might cancel a battle even if the terrain is only slightly against them leaving you having no say in the matter!
I thought both sides had to agree.
Richard Bodley Scott

SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

We select random maps so what happens if it is hilly and full of forests again? It becomes a bit ridiculous. Best just not to use random if that is the way someone is thinking..

Also it wastes time as I set the game up, wait for the invite to be accepted, and set up my army (which usually takes a few days as I am outside Europe) only for someone to ask for a restart.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I wish more players would read the rules . . .

Rule 4 - Players may agree to re-start a match within the first two turns if they believe the terrain is likely to produce a sterile match or a draw. The maximum number of re-starts permitted for a single match is two.

"Agree" is the operative word here. If there is no agreement to re-start then you stick with the original battlefield.

There was a thread up throughout the recruitment period explaining the rule change; all players got a "Welcome PM" explaining the rule change; and the Player's Guide has this about Rule 4, " From Season 3 onwards players may agree to re-start a match if they feel the terrain is likely to lead to a sterile encounter or a draw. Players may agree to a maximum of 2 re-starts. If one player wants to keep the map then further re-starts will not occur."

If that is not enough information then I don't know what is.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

SLancaster wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm We select random maps so what happens if it is hilly and full of forests again? It becomes a bit ridiculous. Best just not to use random if that is the way someone is thinking..

Also it wastes time as I set the game up, wait for the invite to be accepted, and set up my army (which usually takes a few days as I am outside Europe) only for someone to ask for a restart.
I sent you this PM today explaining about re-starts . . .

Sent: 06 Oct 2018 08:09
Recipient: SLancaster

Hello Simon,

A re-start is allowed if both players agree to it. One player cannot force another player to re-start a game. A maximum of two re-starts is possible. Do you want me to write to both of you to explain this rule?

stockwellpete (tournament organiser)

So why are you still misrepresenting the rule? :?

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”