Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

500 AD global campaign - Year 512 battles are up

Post by Nijis »

500CEwest.png
500CEwest.png (220.74 KiB) Viewed 7324 times

Cheers, all --

The Age of Migrations is coming to an end, but the great settled empires were badly wounded by the influx of invaders from the north. The imperial order in both east and west is shaken. Can the ambitious monarchs of western Europe, Rome, Persia, India and China restore their realms' former glory, or will they battle each other into the dust, clearing the way for a new, yet-unseen world power to be born?

So, I'd like to start a campaign using the Tides of Conquest system (described in this link, here: viewtopic.php?f=477&t=85060.)

Ideally players could use the Tides of Conquest app, although if you want you can just DM me your realm's orders. I'll do a new upload of the ToC app tomorrow. If you have an earlier version installed, you'd need to uninstall it. I've tried in this build of ToC to make the UI more intuitive, and I'll gladly help out anyone who has difficulty installing or using the system.

The game will also the army lists from Age of Belisarius, plus jomni's Silk Road mod.

Currently signed up
The Sassanid empire - Najanaja
The Roman empire - XLegione
The Romano-British kingdom of Dumnonia - Ludendorf
The Ostrogothic kingdom of Italy - Kabill
The Franks - Ironclad
The Visigothic kingdom of Spain - RexHurley
The Wei - jomni
The Gepids - shadowblack
The Himyarids - Vardus

(Expressed interest in battles: kongxinga, Najanaja)

Open major factions (for which I'd very much like to have players) would include:
The Roman Empire
The Hunas of central Asia
The Gupta empire of northern India
The Wei dynasty of northern China
The Liang dynasty of southern China
The Rouran confederacy of Mongolic tribes

Minor factions (optional) can include...
The Saxon invaders of Britain
The Vandal kingdom of North Africa
The Pallavas of southern India
The Yarlung dynasty of Tibet
The Himyarids of southern Arabia

The system is designed to let minor powers be competitive with empires in their home turf, so these should not be overmatched by the Goliaths.

You can also try your luck as one of the migratory hordes that's just about to burst onto the scene
The Sclaveni federation of Slavic tribes
The Avar confederacy, currently stirring in innermost Asia
The Ashina clan, soon to be rulers of the Gokturk empire
500CEIndiaAndCentralAsia.png
500CEIndiaAndCentralAsia.png (260.4 KiB) Viewed 7324 times
Attachments
500CEChinaAndMongolia.png
500CEChinaAndMongolia.png (246.44 KiB) Viewed 7322 times
Last edited by Nijis on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: 500 AD global campaign using ToC system

Post by Kabill »

I quite like the idea of giving this a go, but I am already playing in two campaign games and don't want to be greedy with them. So if there's space, I'd like to play, but I'm more than happy for others to take priority.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: 500 AD global campaign using ToC system

Post by Nijis »

I don't see too much risk of running out of space - it's designed so that I can fit more people in fairly easily. I can even add more provinces mid-game: Lombards, Berbers, Jurchen, etc. It would be great to have as many campaign-experienced people on board as possible, for advice and feedback.

Also, if any modders wanted to do 6th century Abyssinians, Nubians, Koreans, Vietnamese, Pyu, Mon, or early Japanese armies, I'd be very grateful.
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: 500 AD global campaign using ToC - recruiting

Post by Ironclad »

This app looks a really impressive piece of work so I'm interested in the campaign (although playing tournament games at present) and also trying it out for my single player use. I did try your initial version without suceess and I'm aware that the improved v2.0 is out now with some accompanying help guidance so need to see how it works for solo play. Frankly when I first saw the details I thought like at least one of the commentators that it looked the ideal solution to enhancing the campaign function within the game itself.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Thanks! Would you like to sign up for a particular faction? I can probably get started playing as long as we have just a handful of human-played realms, even just the Romans and Sassanians, and I can use the AI for the rest until others join up. I can also take orders by email/DM.

Let me know how it goes playing the game in singleplayer. I've been able to have some interesting campaigns myself, but I also know how a campaign is supposed to play out. It's often hard to tell where people are getting stuck, and what I need to change.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

I'll come back to you on faction preference - looks like I'd be spoiled for choice at present. Happy to provide feedback once I've had a chance to try out the app in single player.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Given there doesn't seem to be a flood of people looking to join, I'll put myself forwards proper. Need also to look at the factions (don't have the new DLC yet) but I don't have time to start right now in any case as I'm busy with work things.

I did have a quick look at the system last night and it looks pretty good. I'm wondering, if you include AI players, how you'd run battles between AI and human players? It looks like you could run all these manually, since there's an option to make the AI generate orders for a turn, and so battles could still be handled between players as in other campaign games. But you might have something else in mind I guess.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Great! Very glad to hear from both of you. Let me know when you're ready.
I'm wondering, if you include AI players, how you'd run battles between AI and human players? It looks like you could run all these manually, since there's an option to make the AI generate orders for a turn, and so battles could still be handled between players as in other campaign games.
Exactly. I'd run the AI to generate orders for the AI realms. For AI vs AI battles, I would just generate random battle results. For player vs AI I would take the AI myself, or find a third-party player. Assuming that the players are running realms in same part of the world, I don't think this would be more battles than I can handle. If it turns out to be lots and lots of battles, I'd let the players choose one battle per turn to be against a human and do the rest with random results, if that works.

Also, I noticed that I had linked to a slightly obsolete version of the manual. It should be June 7, not June 4. The updated one is here. Sorry about that...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0c1bxdt68 ... 8.rtf/file
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Nijis wrote: Also, I noticed that I had linked to a slightly obsolete version of the manual. It should be June 7, not June 4. The updated one is here. Sorry about that...
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0c1bxdt68 ... 8.rtf/file
Just after I had finished copying your manual download through various formats so that I can get it in a form that pdf conversion has complete text (ie is not missing the extended right hand bits of your original spreadsheet). :?

Edit: Actually it didn't take long as I could remember the sequence after experimenting last night. There is probably an easy way to do it, but as non-computer nerd this is mine (using my Libre Office, which has a useful pdf conversion facility). Steps:

1. Download appears in Libre Calc. Save.
2.Use File menu - Preview in Web browser. Save.
3. Select all
4. Copy to Libre Writer. Save.
5. Use File menu - Export as pdf. Save.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Ah - sorry about that. I'll try to do a version in pdf shortly and replace the rtf that's there now.
Najanaja
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Najanaja »

I'll sign up.

I don't mind which empire I lead to destruction.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Great! Would you like to try Sassanians? They're kind of the geographical fulcrum of it all...
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

I'd like to try the Dumnonians, if that's ok.

*Cracks knuckles*

'Roman empire finished in the west my foot.'
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

You are now King of the Dumnonians! This is what happens when you go pulling random swords out of rocks. Welcome!
Najanaja

Post by Najanaja »

[quote="Nijis"]Great! Would you like to try Sassanians? They're kind of the geographical fulcrum of it all...[/quote]

OK - I'll dust off my sand shoes...
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Finally had time to look at the new army lists. Very torn.

Part of me is actually inclined to go with one of the Chinese army lists (probably Liang). But if we're short of players and it looks like most of the action is going to be in Europe, maybe the Franks (or maybe Ostragoths?). As implied I'm happy to be flexible about this to maximise scope for inter-player conflict.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Excellent! Najanaja is the Sassanians. I have a good fesenjun recipe if you want to get in the mood....

Kabill - you could definitely try the Liang, or do Ostrogoths and switch if more players join. Because provinces will always defend themselves, I don't think switching will cause any problems.
rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by rexhurley »

Potentially interested will need to read in more detail tomorrow when I have more time.

Hey questions at the moment in my mind is hmm what nation all so cool, how will games play out sizes etc but will read more first and go from there.

Regards Rex
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

If anyone wants to test drive a faction they're interested in, I'm happy to battle them with my Dumnonians. I've never used the Romano-British before, so this is a bit of an experiment on my part.
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

Update to my last, interest is Visigoths for now however before committing I had read it all, tried the app (fail on my part wont open or load, rar is winzip right?) if we send orders to you all good or a chore for you? And games when we have battles how long between each campaign turn, how long do we have to play and what are the force limits?

Cheers Rex

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”