500 AD global campaign - Year 512 battles are up

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: 500 AD global campaign using ToC - recruiting

Post by Ironclad »

rexhurley wrote:For the future last exam tomorrow (well for now) yeah, programme loaded, app open with game save 15 loaded although I imagine that has changed now. Can you pm me please to let me kow how to process my turns I'm clicking on stuff but some guidance would be cool. And nice way for you to play without any GM bias like other options on the forum. Thanks for the efforts cheers Rex

Clicking more stuff I assume you can raise armies etc for the amount of resources you have, correct? Also to go conquer somehting you have had to raise an army first, correct? What about raiding can that be done anywhere anytime or must you have an adjacent force nearby? Umm is there a manual that is easily obtainable?...Dh push the help button you dumb old fart :oops:

PS: A Peloponnesian war would be nice :mrgreen:
Agree, great to have an app that one can play oneself - good way to get more into single player but the multiplayer looks great fun too. I like how nijis has detailed the battles available, really gives a nice flavour.

There is a downloadable manual, link is in a earlier post above. Its in spreadsheet form which i have converted to pdf so if you want to PM me your email I will send you a pdf copy.

I'm no expert having only played the odd turn but re your questions. Resources pay for actions eg movement, raids, conquests army builds, development. If you select the province with an army (tiny block above province square) and right click on a target province which doesn't have to be adjacent one you get a popup with options and costs of each. A raid would be one of these and cheaper than conquest. Any money left can be used for other actions including builds.

Btw to start, you click on the capital of your chosen nation and then click on the order - switch to (your nation) on the right hand side. Then you give orders by selecting provinces or armies as above. In multiplayer you don't process the order instead send the save file to nijis. In single player you process the order and action AI moves for other countries by clicking on top command on right. If that results in a battle for you to fight (some are resolved by the system) it tells you what are the sides and the terrain for that battle. Battles are fought using 1200 points and difficuilty level 2 (although in multiplayer I think players could agree a different points total). When you complete a fought battle using FOG 2 you then enter the (battle) rout results.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Ironclad's described it well. Just one thing - the difficulty level in singleplayer starts at 2 but increases with each player victory. The game should let you know at what level to play.

The Help button is a good place to get started, and also if you want to know why you CAN'T give an order in a province, open the orders console (left click on start province, right-click on target province) and hit "Show reasons for barred orders."

I'm always here to answer any followup questions.

I'm working on a scenario for the Immortal Fire time frame, which would include the Persian and Peloponnesian wars as well as the rise of Rome. I just need to add in city-states that are playable realms but don't fully dominate their own province.

For now, we just need to do the first turn's battles. Rexhurley said he would play the Huna raiders against the Sassanian garrison of Zaranj, so I will add that to the list.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Thanks for the clarification about difficulty level - looks good. Apologies for putting you into lower case. :)

Great about the forthcoming scenarios too - a spur for me to get on with the current one (220 BC) I'm playing.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Wot lowercase?!? :D

Let me know how the 220 BC scenario proceeds!

I've issued challenges on behalf of the Vandal raiders and the Anglo-Saxon host to Kabill and Ludendorf, respectively.

Password is 500ad.
XLegione
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by XLegione »

Hi mates, a little update, I'm started the battle : Sassanids (Najanaja) vs Romans/Armenians (XLegione)

I arranged the battle: Romans (XLegione) vs Ostrogothic-allied Dacians (Kabill) that, if I got in the proper way, should be Byzantine vs Gepid.

Ciao
XLegione
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Yep, that looks like the correct setup for the battle in Dacia.
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

A screenshot of the ongoing battle in Mercia. Dumnonian and Saxon warriors struggle to find crossing points as a careless unit of warriors is caught in the river. Whoever controls the river will have control of Mercia.

PS: No tactical advice, please.
Attachments
Battle on the River Why.jpg
Battle on the River Why.jpg (565.75 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Meanwhile, in the hills of Sardinia, where local Ostrogothic landlords are fighting off Vandal raiders, two lines of Germanic cavalry try to work out the tactical nuances of how best to collide with each other...
Screen_00000001.jpg
Screen_00000001.jpg (876.6 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

That looks way beyond the usual 1200 points. If player v player did you mutually agree to scale up?
Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Kabill »

Ironclad wrote:That looks way beyond the usual 1200 points. If player v player did you mutually agree to scale up?
Nah, it's 1200 each. Vandals almost exclusively get noble lancers which, at 64 points each, gets you 18 with a bit of change. I've got slightly more units because I bulked my centre out with cheaper spearmen (I worked all this out before choosing my army so I knew how much frontage I needed to overlap Nijis's line; hasn't helped much though!). It might look larger because there's little depth to our formations, maybe?
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

My army selection decision making isn't that sophisticated as you'll discover soon! :)
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Nor typically is mine! But given the Vandal army "choices" were something like 5-25 Noble Lancers and 0-2 Light Javelin Horse, it was helpful (and easy to work out) how many Lancers there would be. (It's a very silly list.)
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Ostrogoths rout the Vandal raiders, 22% to 53%.

EDIT: Actually, probably we should use the standard tournament format in which the winner posts results. I'll keep this here anyway, though I was emphatically not the winner of this particular clash.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

The Ostrogoths and Franks are both backing rival sons of the Burgundian king Gundobad, now fighting for power after their father's untimely death. They have both marched an army to the mountains of Rhaetia, where the winner will be able to ensure the eastern part of the Burgundian kingdom becomes a client state...

The armies of the Ostrogoths and Franks meet in the basin of a great valley among the mountains, more or less perfect ground for both the Ostrogoth horse and the Frankish warbands. A combination of good fortune and hasty maneuvers allows the Ostrogoth force to begin the battle at the cusp of an extensive ridge spanning between them and their Frankish foes. Unperturbed by this strong position, the Frankish host marches forward with determination. Violence begins with light missile exchanges and skirmishing on the flanks, but the main struggle is quick to follow. Frankish warriors charge uphill, while Ostrogoth lancers gallop to meet them.

In places, the Franks hold their own, driving back their mounted opponents. But elsewhere, hampered by the climb, their warriors fail to make a significant impact on the skilled Ostrogoth horsemen, while the repelled lancers quickly turn about to re-enter the fray. As the battle wears on, the Ostrogoths are successful in driving back the Frankish cavalry on their left flank. This soon becomes decisive, as the Ostrogoth lancers wheel and charge the Frankish warriors in the rear of their formation. This attack quickly puts the Franks to flight, pursued by eager cavalrymen cascading down the Frankish line. Seeing their comrades routed, the more resilient Frankish troops begin to fall back, joining them in a swift exit from the field.

The battle concludes as a decisive victory for the Ostrogoths (11% routed) over the Franks (56% routed).
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

The Kingdom of Dumnonia has defeated the Saxons 8-48% in Mercia.

Geraint Llyngesic ab Erbin, the King of Dumnonia, met the invading Saxon forces at a small stream in the middle of the Midlands of England, just outside the capital of Tamworth. He had had to march far to get there; the Saxons and Angles had set off suddenly with the clear intent of conquering the kingdom, and only careful use of spies and swift messages from his allies in the region allowed him to beat the Saxon army to the important city. The region that would become known as Mercia was still divided between Saxons, Angles, and the various divided British kingdoms of the area... though the latter were by this time in a sorry state, and would have likely collapsed years ago if not for Geraint's continuing protection.

Despite this, Geraint's army was considerably less well trained, though more flexible, than its Germanic counterpart, consisting mostly of proto-feudal levies and a few units of militia trained in imitation Roman style drawn from the towns of Wales and from displaced peoples fleeing or alienated from life under the Saxon rulers. He had one trump card though; Geraint had a force of excellent mounted cavalry, including the semi-legendary descendants of the Sarmatian auxilia who had settled there under Rome so many centuries ago. These were still among the finest cavalry of Europe, though there were precious few of them; only two hundred and fifty of them accompanied Geraint to the battlefield.

The Saxon army, by contrast, lacked cavalry, but their well-trained and fierce warbands had repeatedly gotten the better of the Romano-British rabble as they steadily conquered and consolidated more and more of Southern England. Geraint knew that he would probably face defeat or at least a bloody battle if he met the Saxon army in the open, so his men rushed to man the river, seeking to widen their line and envelop the Saxon line. This was not the full extent of the King's plan however; he secretly hid two large bodies of cavalry in the woods north of the river, ready to pounce once the Anglo-Saxon army was fully committed.

The skirmish largely went against the Britons, though their limited light forces remained intact. The heavy infantry were forced to drive the skirmishers back behind their lines, and during the pursuit, a small band of Brythonic foot stranded themselves in the river. They were soon assailed by not one but two picked warbands, each captained by a senior Saxon noble. The King himself personally intervened in the battle, but it was to no avail, and the marooned unit shattered with the king forced to retreat and watch the rest of the battle unfold from the safety of the rear lines. Despite this, the rest of the Dumnonian army moved up as planned, and the Anglo-Saxons found the northern bank of the river firmly blocked.

The Anglo-Saxons were not fools however, and they did not immediately advance over the river into what was obviously a prepared trap. Geraint was forced to adapt his strategy. He sent his reserves across the river at the extreme ends of the line, the sub-Roman foot advancing steadily over the dangerous open ground, with the Brythonic levies making for a patch of rough ground a little way's south of the river and on the extreme right flank of the Anglo-Saxon army. Meanwhile, Geraint's elite cavalry forces moved right to envelop the Saxon left, and again, small bands of infantry began to brave the river crossing where the river was not entirely blocked.

Melee ensued on the left and right of the line. Luckily for Geraint, his gamble paid off and the sub-Roman foot and Brythonic foot by and large held their nerve, barring a few panics which were quickly recovered from with the arrival of reinforcements and flanking groups. The Brythonic foot and sub-Romans were organised into smaller, more manoeuvrable bands than their Saxon counterparts, and this and the rough ground allowed them to disrupt and then envelop the warbands. Finally, the cavalry arrived to rescue the embattled Dumnonian Right.

Chaos ensued. On the right and left of the Saxon line, the army rapidly collapsed under the constant, merciless envelopment from the Dumnonian army. The Saxons began to waver, pulling back from the river to try and rescue their comrades, or even desperately charging Dumnonian forces as they began to cross the river themselves. The Dumnonians were more loosely organised, and in the deep stream, that gave them a decisive advantage over the Saxons, who rapidly lost formation. As the Saxon right collapsed and the left began to crumble into chaos, the Saxon army lost heart and fled en masse.

Mercia was saved from Anglo-Saxon domination in this battle, and Dumnonia emerged as the sole protectors of the various petty kingdoms there. Geraint permitted the Anglo-Saxons who had already settled in Mercia and who had not opposed him directly to stay in the area, provided they swore loyalty to him and promised to send troops in the event of another war with their southern brethren. It was a major victory and one that cost the Anglo-Saxon alliance dearly, but Geraint could not rest easy yet. There would be more battles with the Anglo-Saxon invaders in the future.
rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by rexhurley »

rexhurley (Hepathalites) defeats najanaja and his foraging Sassanids 14/44
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

The Romans have marched an army to Dacia to defeat a local post-Roman warlord who has recently declared himself Rex and reached out to the Ostrogoths for support...

The small host of troops raised locally by the Dacian warlord are joined by a sizeable force of Ostrogoth horsemen merely days before their encounter with their Roman invaders. Together, the allied forces look to take advantage of their speed by moving quickly to intercept the Roman troops. They meet in less than ideal conditions for both side: woods and hills dominate the landscape while a difficult stream separates the two opposing armies.

Seizing the initiative, the Dacians move to defend on side of the stream while the Romans cautiously send light troops to harry them. Meanwhile, on the left, an allied detachment of Ostrogoth lancers crosses the stream in a seemingly safe location, but they are quickly set upon by Romans hidden in the woods. Fighting breaks out on both flanks: cavalry and skirmishers clash on the left, while arrows and javelins are exchanged on the right. In both parts of the battle, the Romans seem to gain the upper-hand, with scores of men and horses falling to Roman arrows, and even as the Romans are eventually pinned on the left, on the right horsemen are ordered in desperation to march quickly across the stream and ready themselves for a difficult up-hill attack.

As the battled enters its second stage, however, it turns in the Dacian's favor. On the left, the skilled Ostrogoth horsemen finally managed to rout the bulk of the Roman troops. On the right, a staggered charge turns into a chaotic melee with troops routed on both sides. But, supported by light troops, the Ostrogoth horsemen manage to pin down and break through the Roman's line, allowing them to attack the flanks and rears of their formations. From here, the Dacian forces gain momentum while the Romans begin to crumble, and even as they consolodate their remaining troops for one final counter attack, a sound calls out across the field of battle ordering a swift withdrawal. The Dacians are left holding the field, bloodied but not defeated.

The Dacians triumph over their Roman aggressors 33-58
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

Are we going to have another turn soon?
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Waiting on one battle, Romans vs Sassanids in Colchis. I've been in contact with the players and it seems like it's one of those battles where the terrain makes a decisive win difficult, so it may be a few more days. As soon as those results are in I should be able to post the next turn within 24 hours or so.

Also, if you know anyone who's interested in taking a side, we have lots of slots for more players. I'll do another main-forum recruiting post.
XLegione

Post by XLegione »

Battle of Colchis

The armenian army led by roman general was able to defeat the sassanid army in a tough but victorius battle.

The terrain was the key for the success, woods in the both edges of the battlefield and a big rough/difficult hill in the middle with just few parts of open ground.
The armenians deployed a huge number of skirmishers archer and bowmen , the strategy was to get as fast as possible the hill in the middle. Perfect ground to hit the enemy without any risk to counterattack.
The superior mounted bowmen were held in reserve ready to attack in the weak point of the enemy deployment.
The second wing composed by light horse archers were sent to the right side of the enemy for disturbing action.
The sassanid army was not reactive and the armenians were able to get the hill without problem, now all the shooters were in good position to strike the enemy.
Every turn, the sassanid casualties mounted and when armenians light horse archers joined to the bowmen and skirmishers action, the sassanids committed the fatal mistake!
The main body of the Sassanid army was sent to the right side to attack the light horses, the left side was too much weakened and the armenians superior mounted bowmen attacked!
In few turns the Sassanid right side was destroyed by a storm of arrows, in the meanwhile the sassanid cavalry were not able to catch the armenians light horses.

The result was a brilliant victory for the roman/armenian army!
Final losses:
53% of the Sassanid army including killed, wounded captured and deserted
4% of the Armenian army including killed, wounded captured and deserted

P.S.
I know my english is not perfect, I did my best ;-)
Next time I can write the report in italian if you prefer :D :D :D

XLegione

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”