New FOGII (April 2018) Campaign Tournament (bbogensc)

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: New FOGII (April 2018) Campaign Tournament (bbogensc)

Post by Nosy_Rat »

The first battle against Galatian onslaught is concluded - in province 29 Dacia wins 56-25 (54-15 casualties).
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

Province 27 falls to the Galatians after a sudden breakthrough late in the day. 42-14%, 12% attacker casualties.
Province 38 falls to Galatia 40-10% with 8% attacker casualties. Galatia's new Seleucid allies prove invaluable to the fight.
Province 22 also falls as the Galatians finally break through again in the north. The Galatians and Dacians have now fought five bloody battles over control of northern Dacia. The fighting concluded with 65-39% in favour of the Galatians and 23% attacker casualties, amongst the fiercest fighting of the war so far.

That ends the battles. All other reports incoming are Dacian victories.
Last edited by Ludendorf on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Actually all the battles agains Galatians are now completed, as usual thanks to Ludendorf for the fast play.

Dacia is victorious in:
29 (posted above)
South Rome - 44-9% (49-12% casualties)
39 - 61-55% (58-25% casualties)
26 - 51-18% (52-13% casualties)

And sligtly less victorious everywhere else.
Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Kabill »

Wow, that's very quick for all those battles. I'm hugely behind on my games! I've updated the battle post with the results.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
gamercb
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by gamercb »

I have not been on the forum since my defeat by cunningcairn, so I would like to just say thank you to those I fought and to bbogensc and kabill for running the campaign. Perhaps I will get to fight some of you in another campaign.
Good luck to everyone.
Colin
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

gamercb wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:13 pm I have not been on the forum since my defeat by cunningcairn, so I would like to just say thank you to those I fought and to bbogensc and kabill for running the campaign. Perhaps I will get to fight some of you in another campaign.
Good luck to everyone.
Colin
Said this elsewhere but thanks for playing and maybe see you around in another game some time.

Battle results:

The Spanish achieve victory in all their battles, repelling the Ptolemaic attack in Cyrpus 31-62 and enjoying successes in all of their attacks in the East: 4-41 (Jewish 46); 6-42 (Jewish 47); and 5-44 (Nabatean 48)
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Update

While the remaining battles are underway, I figured it would be worth outlining some stuff regarding the continuation of the game.

Back when I took over running the game, I highlighted that I would likely only be able to do so until September. Well! It turns out we're actually quite far through September. In recent weeks, I've been contemplating trying to continue on with the game past that point - my workload for this year was actually looking a bit lighter than previously - but in the last week I've picked up a new role at work which, basically, makes this unrealistic.

On reflection, though, I think I will struggle with the games much more than running the campaign. In view of this, I am currently thinking about resigning as a player but continuing in the role of GM. My suggestion would be for another player to pick up Spain to avoid disrupting the game (for example, Morbio seems to have some continued interest in playing as he submitted orders for his remaining Syracusian fleets last turn, so might be interested in this).

It's worth noting that I might still end up in a position where I can't run the campaign, and I while I would do my best I would not be able to promise to keep to a strict schedule. But it only takes a few hours per turn to sort things out, which I think should be viable.

Given all this, I wanted to ask you all whether you'd be ok with that arrangement, i.e. that someone takes over playing as Spain and I continue to organise the campaign. I am also quite open to someone taking over the running of the campaign as well, but there was only lukewarm interest in this when bbogensc stepped down and I don't expect this will have changed much. Alternatively, if folks want to wrap up the game then that is also an option - I'd be in a position to play out one more turn if that was preferred.

In any case, let me know. Given that we're possibly in the final stages of the game, I'm sad I don't have time to finish playing it out in full. But things are as they are.
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

I'm ok with your decision Kabill, and thank you for taking on the workload and responsibility. It seems a shame for you to step down as the Spanish player, especially since you seem to be on victory road. You've certainly proven yourself a stellar player this campaign.

I might be willing to take on the role of GM if it means keeping the game moving, but it isn't a position I'm eager to take up. I get the feeling my life is going to get busier rather than quieter as things move forwards.

As for wanting to wrap up the campaign, I will as usual go with the majority. We have had a good run; this campaign has been running for a long time and I get the distinct impression everyone has gotten a lot out of it. On the other hand, we've still definitely got battles to fight and conflicts to resolve. My Galatians certainly have some skulls to crack in them yet!
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by nyczar »

Ditto. Thanks for taking up the responsibility and I am fine with you as a GM. I am brought back to my days of D and D where it was always fun just to run things as well. Perhaps we should recruit some newbie from the forum to take over as Spain? You see, I am in Nosy_Rats' sights and my senate is fleeing from one province to another to salvage what we can of Rome. If we had a newbie in the game, I could put to sea to apply the lessons I have so painfully had to learn and build back my (limited) glory.

I am of course joking, Morbio is a great choice for Spain. I do think however, we would need to have an after action report written by Lundendorf that describes the brilliant coop conducted by the Sicilian pirates to cut the head of Spain's leadership and take command.
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Dacia wins in province 24 with 41-14% (48-10% casualties) and in northern Rome with 51-23% (55-15% casualties).
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Eturia (Pyrrhic) 55% beat Dacia 60%
The Etruscans have finally have finally captured province 23 using their Pyrrhic allies in what can only be called a "Pyrrhic victory" by percentages although less so through final losses with 23% lost for Etruria for the loss of one army. Thanks to Nosy_rat for a nail biting game right down to the finish which could have gone either way.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

I'm fine with Ludendorf taking over as GM and Morbio taking the Spain.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

Kabill, thanks for the offer to lead the Spanish, my only concern is that I probably won't do justice to your fine army and I may lose your hard-won gains! I'd be happy to lead your armies for as long as you'd like, so if you gain some free time in the future then you can reclaim your throne!
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Finally last battle is over, in 25 Makedonian phalanxes defeat Roman invaders 60-43% (64-23% casualties).
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Thank Nosy_Rat. I'm going to process the results of the turn and get the next turn up tomorrow evening.

Further to my previous post, I'm in no doubt now that I need to drop out of the game, at least in terms of playing. As such, since they seem agreeable, Morbio will take over the Spanish from this coming turn forwards.

I will continue in the role of GM for at least this next turn. I'm currently a bit less confident than before about the long-term viability of doing that but I'm going to see how it goes.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Turn 14

Spanish forces sweep across the coast of the Eastern Mediterranean, winning a number of decisive battles which consolidate Spanish control of the region while a Ptolemaic counter-attack is repelled back to sea. In the Spanish capital of Carthage, however, things are afoot. One Autumn morning, the body of the Spanish Emperor is found crumpled and crushed at the base of his grand observatory. There are no witnesses to the event - at least none who speak - but as accounts come forward of his oftentimes temperamental and brooding nature, it is eventually concluded to be a tragic suicide. Without an heir, leading Spanish nobles begin plotting to seize the vacant Spanish throne. Within a matter of days, the leading claimant is found washed up in the Carthaginian harbour, drowned in what is reported as a boating accident. Soon after, one of the minor factions comes forward to present a young man they claim to be a lost cousin of the late Emperor. The other pretenders laugh at this seemingly outrageous ploy. But when the evidence is put to the high priests and lawmen of the city, it is concluded unanimously that the man is the rightful heir to the Spanish Empire. Over the following months, a handful of dissenters would note with suspicion the sudden wealth of Greek silver flowing through the streets of Carthage; and the beneficent favour granted to notable Syracusian figures who arrived in Carthage not long before the late Emperor's death to pledge their loyalty to their recent conquerors. But after two such dissenters were found slain in a late-night brawl, they learned to keep their grumbling to themselves. And still, however circumspect, the Spanish empire remained secure and prosperous. At least for now.

Meanwhile, in the north, Galatian, Etruscan and Roman forces launch a massive coordinated attack against the Dacian dominion which stretches the Dacian defences to breaking point and achieves the first significant victories of their extensive and bloody war. The aggressors are bloodied in the process, however, with armies suffering significant losses and loosing territories to Dacian counter-attacks, including the Roman's remaining strongholds in Italy. The war, no doubt, will continue.

The situation at the beginning of Turn 14 is below. Here again is a synopsis of the territories held by each player:

Morbio: 16
Ludendorf: 13
paulmcneil: 10
Nosy_Rat: 8
batesmotel: 8
Cunningcairn: 5
nyczar: 2

As implied previously and in my write-up above, Morbio will take my place as the Spanish player. It's not my intention to return to playing - I'm going to be swallowed by work for the next six months or so by which time I would expect the game to be over.

I'll set a rough deadline for orders as 6pm GMT on Friday 28th September. I'm going to be away over the weekend and travelling at that specific time, so it doesn't matter if you're a bit late. But I will aim to be sorting things out Saturday morning so before then please :)
Campaign Map turn 14.jpg
Campaign Map turn 14.jpg (476.56 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
nyczar

Post by nyczar »

All, I ought to have 5 in the East Med as my failed attack on 25 was with five armies. Hence 4 are destroyed and one retreats back to East Med.
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

Kabill wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:06 pm Turn 14

Spanish forces sweep across the coast of the Eastern Mediterranean, winning a number of decisive battles which consolidate Spanish control of the region while a Ptolemaic counter-attack is repelled back to sea. In the Spanish capital of Carthage, however, things are afoot. One Autumn morning, the body of the Spanish Emperor is found crumpled and crushed at the base of his grand observatory. There are no witnesses to the event - at least none who speak - but as accounts come forward of his oftentimes temperamental and brooding nature, it is eventually concluded to be a tragic suicide. Without an heir, leading Spanish nobles begin plotting to seize the vacant Spanish throne. Within a matter of days, the leading claimant is found washed up in the Carthaginian harbour, drowned in what is reported as a boating accident. Soon after, one of the minor factions comes forward to present a young man they claim to be a lost cousin of the late Emperor. The other pretenders laugh at this seemingly outrageous ploy. But when the evidence is put to the high priests and lawmen of the city, it is concluded unanimously that the man is the rightful heir to the Spanish Empire. Over the following months, a handful of dissenters would note with suspicion the sudden wealth of Greek silver flowing through the streets of Carthage; and the beneficent favour granted to notable Syracusian figures who arrived in Carthage not long before the late Emperor's death to pledge their loyalty to their recent conquerors. But after two such dissenters were found slain in a late-night brawl, they learned to keep their grumbling to themselves. And still, however circumspect, the Spanish empire remained secure and prosperous. At least for now.

Meanwhile, in the north, Galatian, Etruscan and Roman forces launch a massive coordinated attack against the Dacian dominion which stretches the Dacian defences to breaking point and achieves the first significant victories of their extensive and bloody war. The aggressors are bloodied in the process, however, with armies suffering significant losses and loosing territories to Dacian counter-attacks, including the Roman's remaining strongholds in Italy. The war, no doubt, will continue.

The situation at the beginning of Turn 14 is below. Here again is a synopsis of the territories held by each player:

Morbio: 16
Ludendorf: 13
paulmcneil: 10
Nosy_Rat: 8
batesmotel: 8
Cunningcairn: 5
nyczar: 2

As implied previously and in my write-up above, Morbio will take my place as the Spanish player. It's not my intention to return to playing - I'm going to be swallowed by work for the next six months or so by which time I would expect the game to be over.
Wow! What a position... so much to live up to!
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

nyczar wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 pm All, I ought to have 5 in the East Med as my failed attack on 25 was with five armies. Hence 4 are destroyed and one retreats back to East Med.
Sorry, you're right, I forgot to check this when I was updating for the battle results. I'll leave the map but I've updated my spreadsheet.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

Hi Everyone!

I'm afraid I am going to have to pull out as well as I'll be away for well over a month and won't be able to play. Thanks to everyone for some great games and Kabill thank you for your work as Moderator you did a great job. Good luck everyone I hope to meet you all again on the FOG battlefield sometime in the not too distant future.

Rgrds
Martin

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”