Wars for Thesium

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Wars for Thesium

Post by Ironclad »

The accompanying map shows the draft of an imaginary world of Thesium which is the arena for a new campaign that I am thinking about running. It would involve seven players participating to control the main powers and to take occasional battle commands of the other states as required.

This is just early notification of the possibility. If I do proceed with it I would request the submission of formal expressions of interest at a later time. Thesium is meant as a substitute for the Imperium 2 campaign that I had intended to follow my original Fog 1 campaign Imperium and as such was going to be far more detailed. The aim with Thesium is to arrive at more streamlined and simplified effort than Imperium 2, as well as utilising a very different map than the latter.
Attachments
Thesium.PNG
Thesium.PNG (720.33 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Wars for Thesium

Post by devoncop »

Really nice concept. Only today if I was wondering if FOG2 could be used in a "Hyboria" type ancient fantasy campaign (for those elder players like myself who remember that masterpiece!).

Will keep my eye on how you progress this ....
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

Looks good. I once ran a fantasy campaign for 16 players using Ancients miniatures. I just picked a year, I think that it was 250 BC, and each player chose an army list that was active for that year so that the armies were contemporary. This was a mature set of rules so we had quite a geographic mix like Yayoi Japanese, Polybian Romans, and Classical Indians. I didn't want New Kingdom Egyptians fighting 100 Years War English.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

devoncop wrote:Really nice concept. Only today if I was wondering if FOG2 could be used in a "Hyboria" type ancient fantasy campaign (for those elder players like myself who remember that masterpiece!).

We need medieval armies to do a Hyborian campaign but I suppose cataphacts could substitute knights. No cross bows yet thought!

Ironclad, I m interested!
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

TheGrayMouser wrote:
devoncop wrote:Really nice concept. Only today if I was wondering if FOG2 could be used in a "Hyboria" type ancient fantasy campaign (for those elder players like myself who remember that masterpiece!).

We need medieval armies to do a Hyborian campaign but I suppose cataphacts could substitute knights. No cross bows yet thought!

Ironclad, I m interested!
We could do "Hyboria" in an ancient setting no problem....random events/ plotting/strengths and weaknesses of different factions ....marvellous :D
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Please don't over anticipate. This is meant to be a modest endeavour.
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

Are there any wargames which allow for multiple sides which could be used for something like this, with mods? You could probably use something like TOAW, but you can only have two sides and trying to change the game to reflect FOG results could be tough.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Don't need mods or multiple sides for this.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Ironclad wrote:Don't need mods or multiple sides for this.
But there is seven sides, right? Or are the seven players aligned onto two teams?
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Yes, seven.
ulysisgrunt

Post by ulysisgrunt »

Sign me up!
Danny Weitz
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
iandavidsmith

Post by iandavidsmith »

I am interested as well if there is room for me
Ian
klayeckles
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by klayeckles »

so i've done a few of these types of things...and a couple thoughts:
focus should be on getting some interesting battles against different players
be careful of maps...they can limit players to fighting the same players over and over,
an abstract system can work well...think of each turn as 25 years...so declaring on someone on the other side of the world may be no problem,

one game i had, players each had a set of cards, and each war/battle they could play a card prior and it might cause a special event (treachery--maybe the enemy loses a unit and has to park it in the corner of the map, or Local Ally-- you get an extra 100 pts, or Surprise--the enemy must grant you a free move (ie he doesn't move his first turn)... cancel an opponent's card.etc etc.) once a card/tactic was played it was gone.

read my rules to vanquisher of rome for some basic ideas...in that game each round was two battles, first with your home army, then the second one had the loser representing rome. its very simple, abstract,and open for much improvement :wink:
i'd be interested and will keep tabs on this..
klay
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

klayeckles wrote:so i've done a few of these types of things...and a couple thoughts:
focus should be on getting some interesting battles against different players
be careful of maps...they can limit players to fighting the same players over and over,
an abstract system can work well...think of each turn as 25 years...so declaring on someone on the other side of the world may be no problem,

one game i had, players each had a set of cards, and each war/battle they could play a card prior and it might cause a special event (treachery--maybe the enemy loses a unit and has to park it in the corner of the map, or Local Ally-- you get an extra 100 pts, or Surprise--the enemy must grant you a free move (ie he doesn't move his first turn)... cancel an opponent's card.etc etc.) once a card/tactic was played it was gone.

read my rules to vanquisher of rome for some basic ideas...in that game each round was two battles, first with your home army, then the second one had the loser representing rome. its very simple, abstract,and open for much improvement :wink:
i'd be interested and will keep tabs on this..
klay
Thanks. I appreciate your advice and suggestions and my current draft rules already incorporate some of these concepts. This is my second campaign so perhaps not surprisingly several features are being carried through from its predecessor. Must admit that I love maps in campaigns both as a player and GM although I'm totally impressed by the imagination and cleverness of those who create wonderfully entertaining and challenging campaigns without them. Fortunately there is plenty of scope for both types, thank goodness as well as apparently enthusiastic support from FOG 2 players for the offered campaigns. Long may it continue.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

klayeckles wrote:...be careful of maps...they can limit players to fighting the same players over and over...
klay
Very good advice. I once ran a Peloponnesian War campaign with a map and Corinth prevented Sparta and Athens from engaging, so players were restricted to fighting nations on their side of the divide repeatedly.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

w_michael wrote:
klayeckles wrote:...be careful of maps...they can limit players to fighting the same players over and over...
klay
Very good advice. I once ran a Peloponnesian War campaign with a map and Corinth prevented Sparta and Athens from engaging, so players were restricted to fighting nations on their side of the divide repeatedly.
A campaign I once played in got around this by having a mechanic where to simulate the endemic treachery and mercenary spirit of the times a player could pay a small (but nonetheless useful) payment to the nation or nations in the way of the intended target. This had the secondary benefit of creating non continuous territories which then created further strategic vulnerabilities as well as allowing all players to play each other.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”