Hellenistic Campaign circa 280 B.C.

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

mceochaidh
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Hellenistic Campaign circa 280 B.C.

Post by mceochaidh »

This will be the landing page for information regarding the ongoing campaign. New information will be posted here. Players, you have received an email regarding the next year/turn.

For others who may be interested, I have set up a longer term campaign that is in operation. Since the concept is new and somewhat complex, right now just a few players are involved. I am sure changes will be made, but I plan to roll out another version when Immortal Fire is released.

Mac
mceochaidh

Re: Hellenistic Campaign circa 280 B.C.

Post by mceochaidh »

It is now 279 B.c. Antigonus has invaded the Seleucid Empire. Carthage now has a decision to make.
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

This is a summary of activities in 280 B.C.

1. Epirus - Beginning treasury 20,000 Talents. Epirus spent 1,000 talents to invade Roman territory and defeated Rome in battle. It was not a decisive victory. Epirus received 500 Talents in booty. Epirus received 1,000 Talents in annual income. Ending treasury was then 20,500 talents. Epirus can attack Rome again during 279 B.C. (Assuming Epirus is not attacked first or required to play as a minor state)

2. Rome - Beginning treasury 20,000 Talents. Rome spent 500 talents to defend its territory from the invasion by Phyrrus of Epirus. It lost a battle against Phyrrus, but it was not a decisive loss, so cost the Romans 500 Talents. Rome received 1,000 Talents in annual income. Ending treasury was then 20,000 Talents. Rome cannot attack Epirus during 279 B.C.

3. Macedon - Beginning treasury 20,000 Talents. Macedon spent 500 talents to invade the Galatians and lost decisively. This cost Macedon an additional 500 Talents in booty taken by the Galatians. The Galatians are deemed a minor state. Since this was not an invasion by the Galatians, they are not occupying part of Macedon. (If they choose to attack Macedon in a subsequent turn and win again, in addition to receiving booty, they will occupy a part of Macedon and receive annual payments from Macedon. This is counted in the game as a reduction of Macedon's annual income.) Annual income received was 1,000 Talents. Ending treasury was 20,000 Talents.

4. Carthage - Beginning treasury 20,000 Talents. Carthage spent 500 talents to invade the territory of Syracuse, a minor power. The battle resulted in a draw. This draw cost Carthage a further 200 Talents. Annual income received was 1,000 Talents. Ending treasury was 20,300 Talents.

5. Seleucids - Beginning treasury 20,000 Talents. There were no battles during the year. Annual income received was 1,000 Talents. Ending treasury was 21,000 Talents.

6. Ptolemaic Empire - Beginning treasury 20,000 Talents. There were no battles during the year. Annual income received was 1,000 Talents. Ending treasury was 21,000 Talents.

For future reference, I will use a capital "T" to represent Talents.
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

279 B.C. moves

Ptolemaic Empire moves first, but decides to bankroll Antigonus Gonatus to attack Seleucids. That wily Ptolemy! Seleucids have set up reception party somewhere in Stria.
Carthage really wants to control Syracuse, so is invading. Syracuse, played by Epirus, will defend and set up the battle.
Macedon wants to meddle in Greece, so has invaded the Aetolian League, which has drafted a Roman consul to be its general. Aetolian League will determine the place to defend.

All comments and results can now come here. It seems easier for all.

Mac
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I'm going to set up the Carthage-Syracuse battle , but I cant find the rules on terrain ...
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

The terrain should be what would be available in Sicily. Mediterranean of any kind. It should be a large battle.

Mac
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

Here is the beginning map. Color coded so I can change minor powers to Client States. Still learning to make maps, as you can see! If the map is not visible, then I will try something else, but I can see it.
Attachments
Hellenistic Campaign 280 B.C. Map 1 (1).gif
Hellenistic Campaign 280 B.C. Map 1 (1).gif (113.77 KiB) Viewed 7436 times
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

mceochaidh wrote:The terrain should be what would be available in Sicily. Mediterranean of any kind. It should be a large battle.

Mac
Your assuming I have been there! Ok, so I can do Mountain, Hills ,agricultural. Forrest though?? Am I over complicating things here?
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

TGM, This is from Wikipedia:

Flora and fauna[edit]

Zingaro Natural Reserve
Sicily is an often-quoted example of man-made deforestation, which has occurred since Roman times, when the island was turned into an agricultural region.[11] This gradually dried the climate, leading to a decline in rainfall and the drying of rivers. The central and southwest provinces are practically devoid of any forest.[14] In Northern Sicily, there are three important forests; near Mount Etna, in the Nebrodi Mountains and in the Bosco della Ficuzza's Natural Reserve near Palermo. The Nebrodi Mountains Regional Park, established on 4 August 1993 and covering 86,000 hectares (210,000 acres), is the largest protected natural area of Sicily; and contains the largest forest in Sicily, the Caronia. The Hundred Horse Chestnut (Castagno dei Cento Cavalli), in Sant'Alfio, on the eastern slopes of Mount Etna, is the largest and oldest known chestnut tree in the world at 2,000 – 4,000 years old.[15]

Sicily has a good variety of fauna. Species include fox, least weasel, pine marten, roe deer, wild boar, crested porcupine, hedgehog, common toad, Vipera aspis, golden eagle, peregrine falcon, hoopoe and black-winged stilt.[16] Sicily is an important habitat for the survival of several species, an example being the subspecies of hooded crow Corvus cornix which is only found in Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica.[17]

The Zingaro Natural Reserve is one of the best examples of unspoiled coastal wilderness in Sicily.[18]

So forests are still there but not the most common landscape. In ancient times, they would be more plentiful, so although agricultural, hilly and mountains would be most common, forests would be possible. I think this is your choice!

Mac
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

Definition of a Draw: Due to the longer term nature of this campaign, In order to avoid results which are not meaningful, we will define a draw as any result in which neither side scores less than 20% in default losses (Percent lost in routed at the end of the game). For example, side A loses 19%, side B loses 10%. This is considered a draw. Draws cost Major Powers 200T.

Mac
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Ironclad »

Challenge up Aetolia (Greeks( V Macedon, Large Battle pw battle.

Can't remember who is playing Macedon and can't find the reference in emails received. Can a list of players and their countries be added to the thread, please.
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

Sorry: That should read Both sides score less than 20% for the game to be a draw.
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow »

Ironclad wrote:Challenge up Aetolia (Greeks( V Macedon, Large Battle pw battle.

Can't remember who is playing Macedon and can't find the reference in emails received. Can a list of players and their countries be added to the thread, please.
You are fighting me Nigel. Btw your password 'battle' doesn't work.

Have set up a new game. pw battle
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Thanks. Ominous for the real thing if my battle pw doesn't work!
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

The players are:

Epirus - TheGrayMouser
Rome - Ironclad
Macedon - Ianiow
Carthage - StockwellPete
Seleucids - mceochaidh
Ptolemaic Empire - Richard

Mac
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Thanks.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

game is up for stockwellpete
Carthos vs Syracuse
large/open/hills
pw: Turn279
ianiow

Post by ianiow »

Macedonia (ianiow) 12 : 46 Aetolian League (ironclad)

Ptolemy Keraunos' bruised ego has been soothed with a mighty victory against the Aetolian League. His macedonian pikemen, elephants and warbands made short work of the greek hoplites. The galatian debarkle is now just a faded memory. :mrgreen:
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

My Carthaginians defeated TGM's Syracusans 45%-14%.
mceochaidh

Post by mceochaidh »

This is a summary of activities in 279 B.C. and beginning treasuries for 278 B.C.

1. Epirus (TGM) - Beginning treasury 20,500T. Epirus was not active during the year. Epirus received 1,000 Talents in annual income. Ending treasury was then 21,500T. Epirus will move first and has no restrictions. It may invade powers in the Central, East or West.

2. Rome (Ironclad) - Beginning treasury 20,000T. Rome was not active during the year. Rome received 1,000 Talents in annual income. Ending treasury was then 21,000T. Rome will move second and has no restrictions, other than it cannot invade powers in the East.

3. Macedon (Ianiow) - Beginning treasury 20,000T. Macedon spent 500 talents to invade the Aetolian League and won decisively (12:46). Macedon did not receive booty, as the Aetolian League is a minor power. However, due to the decisive victory, the Aetolian League is now a client state of Macedon. Therefore, Macedon receives 200T in income in addition to its own income of 1,000T. In 280 B.C., Macedon was defeated decisively by the Galatians. The Galatians remain in Macedon and will cost Macedon 200T each year they remain or wander off in pursuit of other prey. Ending treasury was then 21,000T. Macedon will move third. Macedon may invade in East, Central or West.

4. Carthage (Pete) - Beginning treasury 20,300 Talents. Carthage spent 500 talents to invade the territory of Syracuse, a minor power. The battle was a decisive victory for Carthage. Carthage did not receive booty as Syracuse is a minor power. However, due to the decisive victory, Syracuse is now a client state of Carthage. Therefore, Carthage receives 200T in income in addition to its own income of 1,000T. Ending treasury was 21,500T. Carthage can invade any power in Central, West or can invade Ptolemaic Empire. Carthage moves fourth.

5. Seleucids (Mac) - Beginning treasury 21,000T. Seleucids spent 500T to mobilize against the invasion of Antigonus Gonatus, winning the battle 38:61, not a decisive victory (If fact, it was a very close, highly contested battle, only won by luck and an elephant charge!). Antigonus retreated back to his enclave and cannot attack the Seleucids during 278 B.C. Annual income received was 1,000T. Ending treasury was 21,500T. Seleucids move fifth and may invade any power in East or Central.

6. Ptolemaic Empire (Richard) - Beginning treasury 21,000T. There were no battles during the year. Annual income received was 1,000T. Ending treasury was 22,000T. Ptolemaics move sixth and can invade in East, Central or Carthage.

Remember that those that move 4.5.6 are more than likely to be playing other powers due to the choices of those that move 1,2,3.

Please note that I am going to update the map and have made a change to the rules in the section - Economics - Minor Powers. This will correct an oversight that I noticed when I was doing my tally of the results for 279 B.C. This change will be effective for 278 B.C. I will post it shortly.

Mac

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”