Vanquisher of Rome Mini Campaign

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

klayeckles
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Vanquisher of Rome Mini Campaign

Post by klayeckles »

Rules of the Vanquisher of Rome.. A Campaign for Field of Glory II.

The idea of this campaign is to generate a round robin type event. The world is abstract as is the timeframe. The setting; Rome is struggling to rise above all her rivals…and there are many. The question is, will any of the rivals succeed in holding back the powerful threat called rome. From roughly 280 BC to 200BC Rome fought many other powers. In this campaign each player is both a rival of Rome as well as her protector. Here's how it works:

Based on randomness and moderator seeding (we may have some experienced players here) an army selection drafting order will be developed. Each player will choose two powers from the available powers list (note rome is not a choice) using a down and back drafting cycle (so the first drafter will also get the very last pick). The armies the player ends up with are his "vanquisher" powers. Players may then set up matches…with each player playing every other player. Typically a player will complete one or two turns a day, per battle, and is free to fight as many players at a given time as desired.

When a player wins a battle, he will score one point…and will have gained the ability to fight the romans! The losing player will fight the winning player again, but this time the losing player takes the roman army, and defends rome. If the non-roman player beats the romans, he will gain an additional 2 victory points…if the romans win, they will gain one victory point. So if there are 7 players in the campaign, each player will fight 12 battles, and could win between 0 and 18 victory points. The player that scores the most points will be the vanquisher.

Players normally get to choose which army they wish to field against a rival player…but they usually don't know which army the enemy will field. But there is one exception: When a player wins two battles in a row, the second one being Rome, he must start the next campaign using his other army (after defeating Rome his victorious army is settling part of the Italian peninsula).

For each battle one player will have initiative (denoted on the army score sheet by a highlighted score box). The player with initiative sets up the battle as skirmish, with all the default width for a typical 1200 pt skirmish and gets to choose any of his home terrains. Any player that is representing rome, always has initiative, and gets to choose terrain.
The moderator will participate in the campaign, but will be last in the army draft.

The list of armies in rough order of toughness in the moderator's opinion is shown here below. Note that the upper armies tend to have pike and more diversity of troop types…allowing a general to craft an army specific to the expected enemy. The very bottom armies have less diversity and also more loose order medium foot troops (which don't do will in open ground against cavalry or heavy foot) The middle ones are hoplite based, or impact foot based or cavalry without much heavy foot. Any army type can win if played correctly, and in home terrain may be deadly.
Army Home
Seleucid 320-206 BC MeH,MeA
Pontic 281-111 BC MeH,MeA
Macedonian 260-148 BC MH,MA
Roman 280-220 BC MH,MA,MW
Ptolemaic 320-167 Bc MeA,D
Pergamene 262-191 BC MA,MH
Greek 227-146 BC MA,MH
Galatian 280-63 BC MA,MH,MW
Carthaginian 235-146BC MA,D
Syracusan 280-211 BC MA
Gallic 300-101 BC EA,EW
Campanian 280 MA,MH,MM
Bithynian or Thracian 350 * MA,MH,MW
Spanish 300-10 BC MA,MH
Bruttian or Apulian* MA,MH,MM
*player gets both and the serve as one army, but he can field either
First terrain letter: M=med, Me= middle east, E= Europe
Second: A=agricultural, H=hill, M=mountains, W=woods, D=desert

this is the link to the spreadsheet for the game.
for the first round...everyone can simply challenge battle the opponent listed directly below them. so... because we want to get this going, lets assume everyone will use Army A (technically you wouldn't have to, but there would be a need for an exchange between players indicating which army each would be fielding).

so note that you will challenge the person below you, and when you read across the spreadsheet you'll notice that ther is an H in the box for the person below you, this means when you set up a battle with this person you have initiative. So you can use either his or your home terrain...see the table in instructions for home terrains for each army.

thus: set up a battle with your army A against the opponent below you and their army A, on your choice of the home turfs.
HERE IS THE LINK https://drive.google.com/open?id=1chVtg ... gerQHUaKzQ

WE SHOULD EACH END UP WITH 2 BATTLES, THE ONE WE SET UP AND ONE SET UP AGAINST US BY THE OPPONENT ABOVE US. POST YOUR TAUNTS AND PASSWORDS HERE

first battle posted for Ian:
Greeks are hosting the Macedons
PW: greektome
i quaking in my sandals already!
klayeckles

Postby rbodleyscott » November 11th, 2017, 11:16 am

Challenge set for Snugglebunnies. Pw: rumplestiltskin
Richard Bodley Scott

Postby TheGrayMouser » November 11th, 2017, 11:57 am

Challenge up for Ironclad
Pergolators vs Pytolemites
Med Hills
password: Round1
Last edited by klayeckles on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Vanquisher of Rome Mini Campaign

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Challenge up for klayeckles, PW Snuggles. Pontic vs Greek ME Ag. Hopefully I got it set up right...
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kilroy1 »

Challenge is up for Ian, Seleucid vs. Macedonian, MeA. The password is: successor.

kilroy
iandavidsmith
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by iandavidsmith »

Challenge up for TMG
Password = cheese

Ian
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

TheGrayMouser (Pergamum) win versus Ironclad (Ptolemy)
12% to 48%

The hills really helped our thuropo-lites, and I got lucky with a lot of rallies the last two turns.
klayeckles

Post by klayeckles »

TheGrayMouser wrote:TheGrayMouser (Pergamum) win versus Ironclad (Ptolemy)
12% to 48%

The hills really helped our thuropo-lites, and I got lucky with a lot of rallies the last two turns.
so now you can start the next phase where the pergamum fight Ironclad as the Romans....ironclad is home and can pick terrain type.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

12% to 48%

Good win for TGM who made rapid progress in the final stages of a tough fight which showed how illusory was my apparent opening success. Just for clarification the results screen showed 53% to 15%.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

rbodleyscott (Carthage) win vs SnugglesBunnies (Pontus) 20%:53%

Oblique attack by the infantry and cavalry superiority on the refused wing decided the day.
Richard Bodley Scott

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

klayeckles wrote:
12% to 48%

so now you can start the next phase where the pergamum fight Ironclad as the Romans....ironclad is home and can pick terrain type.
Ah ok, Ironclad, It seems you should set up the challenge as you get to choose the ground. The Pergamene 5th Amphibious Fleet awaits off the Ostia littoral.
klayeckles

Post by klayeckles »

rbodleyscott wrote:rbodleyscott (Carthage) win vs SnugglesBunnies (Pontus) 20%:53%

Oblique attack by the infantry and cavalry superiority on the refused wing decided the day.
so snuggles, you can set up a battle with the romans 260bc, and choose any of the home terrain types shown in the army lists for roma or carthage.

FYI, the percentages won't be recorded in the standings table, just the pts. One interesting tidbit...if we have a situation where both armies break, it will be a draw...and no pts will be given to either side. If this happens on the opening battle, nobody will be rome, and instead both players will face each other again using their "B" army (with one point hanging in the balance)...could be interesting!
klayeckles

Post by klayeckles »

HERE IS THE LINK

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1chVtg ... gerQHUaKzQ
this is the score sheet...it reflects the two completed battles

so if you've completed you should be moving to round two with the romans...
others keep the swords swinging and the turns rolling!
Note, it would be conceivable that we could have additional battles underway between differnt players, but i prefer we keep things at 2 battles for now, while we are all getting the feel of the campaign, and the moderator is smoothing out the wrinkles :?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

iandavidsmith wrote:Challenge up for TMG
Password = cheese

Ian
I just looked at the chart, shouldn't you be playing Kilroy ? !

And I think Kilroy is to send me a challenge?
kilroy1

Post by kilroy1 »

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Password = cheese

Ian

Ian and I have a match going on, but I thought we were supposed to play the games in order. If not, I'll go ahead and set up the match with you. Klay can you clarify this?

kilroy
klayeckles

Post by klayeckles »

kilroy1 wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote:
Password = cheese

Ian

Ian and I have a match going on, but I thought we were supposed to play the games in order. If not, I'll go ahead and set up the match with you. Klay can you clarify this?

kilroy
so the link a couple posts above shows the matrix of opponents.
in order to get everyone a couple games going i suggested we each challenge the person directly below us...that way we'd get 2 games going each. so, if Ian has a game out of order, and is playing TGM, perhaps you want to see if he wants another one? eventually we'll play every player twice, once against an army on our list, and once against/as rome. so it isn't critical we do it in that order, but helps manage things. if that doesn't work, someone else can join in...or i'd be happy to indulge you!
klayeckles

Post by klayeckles »

The greeks faced off against the pontic host, and they met on a rock strewn hill. the greeks managed to pierce the pontic center with a strong cavalry charge, and from there on the greeks held the center and managed many flank attacks, sending the pontic army into full retreat. the AAR said 57% pontic losses 19% greek.

now the greeks are sailing for the boot...snuggles, you can go ahead and set up a battle when you are ready...1200pt each, romans choose terrain from their home and the greeks home.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I am confused.

I have played one battle against Snugglebunnies (Carthage vs Pontic) and now he is to set up a challenge Romans vs Carthage? Correct?

Shouldn't I have been challenged by Ironclad to a first game already?
Richard Bodley Scott

Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Sorry Richard, my confusion too - forgot that I had to use the old brain cells and follow the opening instructions! ( TGM's mob destroying my pikes probably contributed to my befuddlement!)

So I need to set up a challenge with my Ptolemaics against your Carthaginians and choose the terrain from our homes ones. Will do so - pw confusion.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ironclad wrote:So I need to set up a challenge with my Ptolemaics against your Carthaginians and choose the terrain from our homes ones. Will do so - pw confusion.
Accepted.
Richard Bodley Scott

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Wait, so... what am I doing? Setting up 1 battle? 2? Would it be:

1 with myself as Romans vs klayeckles Greeks

1 with myself as Romans vs Richards Carthaginians
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

So to be clear

2 battles should be fought based on positioning in the chart ( ie everyone is issuing a challenge to the player directly below them
Thus I have completed my battle with ironclad, but need to have Kilroy issue me a challenge as he is above me

Then: the winner of each of those battles then fights that particular player using Rome So I currently am waiting for Ironclad to set up a challenge with him as Rome and me as Pergamene, he choses the terrain.

So you will play between 2-4 battles each round.

Is this right?

what happens next round and when do the "B" armies come into play?

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”