Tides of Conquest - Successors Mod

SteveD64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Tides of Conquest - Successors Mod

Post by SteveD64 »

Hello all,

In order to teach myself coding and Monogame I decided to take the source code for Tides of Conquest and mod it so that it's just an expanded Successors scenario. The game starts right after the Battle of Ipsus, where the Antigonids were dealt a near fatal blow. I'll be testing the game from the Antigonids side, single player. After Ipsus they still controlled Cyprus, some areas of Phoenicia and a small part of the western coast of Asia Minor but they were barely hanging on.

I've never coded anything before so I tried to limit the damage by mainly modding the existing code. Obviously the forthcoming game from AGEOD will be far more involved and no doubt much better than this effort, which is still in the initial stages. I took this as a learning opportunity to teach myself some basic C# concepts.

Anyway, the first turn is 301BC (yearly turns). TOC is two year turns, hopefully I didn't break anything in converting the time scale. Special thanks to Nijis for giving me the original solution.
Last edited by SteveD64 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveD64

Re: Tides of Conquest - Successors Mod

Post by SteveD64 »

Here is the Western Map:

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

And the mainly Seleucid Eastern map:

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Areas with Greek columns are controlled by the realm. Off color areas (no columns) are allies and all gray areas are neutral/unaligned. White lines connecting the areas are "clear" terrain (no movement penalties). Colored lines represent moving through deserts or mountains and cost more resources to use.

The port symbols represent major ports and give the owning player a nice discount on moving by the sea when leaving from the port space (sea movement is essentially halved if your army leaves via one of the ports).

The helmets represent armies.

Powers represented:

Aechean League
Aetolian League
Lysimachids
Pyrrhus (who for some reason do not have the Greek columns on their territory - I have no idea why not)
Antipatrids
Antigonids (orange color)
Seleucids
Ptolemies
Parthians
and Rome (not too crazy about this as they should only make a late appearance - I might try to get rid of them altogether).
Last edited by SteveD64 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

I changed some colors around - Antigonids are now plum colored.

First order is to move the Antigonid army from Cyprus to Cilicia.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Here's the situation now, next turn. The Antipatrids (salmon colored) and Lysimachids (reddish brown) are battling for control of my possession in western Asia Minor and the Ptolemies (gold colored) are raiding Cyprus. Battles are denoted by crossed spears underneath the province square. It is hard to see because the coastline is so dark - I will have to lighten that up. It looks like the Antipatrids took advantage of their major port in Chalcidice and moved their army by sea to Caria.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

The good news is I barely defeated the Ptolemy raid, the bad news is my home province of Cyprus is devastated. In hindsight it was a bad move to ship my army to the mainland. It would've been better to stay and accumulate resources.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Situation in 299BC as it looks now. The Antipatrids and Lysimachids exhausted their armies fighting over Caria and it remains in my control for now. The Ptolemaic army was also disbanded after their raid was defeated. It will give me a little reprieve as I see the Seleucids are coming to pick the bones of the Antigonid empire in Cilicia.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

So it looks like Ptolemies reconstituted their army a little faster than I had expected. The Middle East looks ripe for them. The Seleucids are now trying to conquer Cilicia where my army is. We will have a large battle at level IV (I'm an average player at best so this is going to be tough one).

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

I managed to defeat the Seleucids in a close one. The next turn I decided to head back to Cyprus - I'm still recovering from that raid and I need to make sure it doesn't happen again. I may have to sacrifice my mainland possessions in doing so. Here's the situation in 297BC.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

So the Ptolemies made a move, not against me but against the Nabataeans. I didn't think that would happen. The Lysimachids decided to raid Caria.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

I managed to tie the Lysimachids (51-51) which I think means I win! But I completely mis-played the Nabataeans. I've never played as a predominately archer army before and got slaughtered by the Ptolemies. They conquer the province but get a low level rebellion (the flame symbol). My province in Caria has seen the writing on the wall however and is slowly moving away from the Antigonids - I don't blame them.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

296BC sees the Seleucids try again in Cilicia. Also allied armies are being raised in a couple of provinces, you can recognize them by the olive branch above their helmets. I don't think allied armies can move so this looks like a defensive measure. Up in the top left of the map there is the province of the Agrianes where rival factions have claimed the province for themselves. You can recognize a rival faction event by the two boxing Greeks fighting it out.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

The battle for Cilicia was a wild one. I watched in awe as the Seleucid cavalry on my left flank moved into position and unleash one of most devastating charges the ancient world has seen. I managed to hold them up for a bit but my best cavalry unit, which I was going to move from the right to the left flank, pursued a victim off the map which sealed the fate of my left wing. My pikemen, who had won the center, were swept up by the Seleucid cavalry. Goodbye Cilicia.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Let's see what's happening out East. Looks like Bactria (the gray province) has separated itself from the Seleucids. The Seleucid army in Babylonia seems unconcerned about this. The Parthians remain docile for now as the sea monster in the Caspian Sea keeps an eye out.

Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Wow! You've really done a lot with the code. Beautiful map and icons!
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Thank you! I'll try to put some more thoughts together and continue with the AAR when I have more time tomorrow. Hopefully Nijis you'll monitor this thread, I may have some questions for you. :)
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

I will indeed - any questions you have, let me know.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Question: I'm currently testing in Single Player Empire mode. Twice now unaligned (gray) areas have been attacked by other realms and the unaligned area turns into my ally and I fight their battles. Is this intended? (I was guessing it was just a way to get the player involved in fighting battles)
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

294BC. Looks like the Ptolemies are raiding (or conquering) Lycia. The Lysimachids are slowing losing ground in Asia Minor. I've entered into negotiations with the Seleucids - I need to buy some time. When I get enough resources saved up I'm heading to Rhodes and following in the footsteps of the Besieger himself. I should've done that in the beginning.

Here's a funny thing - notice when two armies are in the same province their helmets are now facing each, it wasn't always like that (see second picture). This was one of the hardest challenges in modding this game! It took almost a week of trial and error to get those two helmets facing each other and it seems like such an easy thing. I put up a trophy for the gods when I finally got it to work. Now, I may have broken the game in other ways- god knows what will happen when a horde or an allied army occupy a space with an army.

Return to “Field of Glory II: After Action Reports”