Clovis I series now available!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Clovis I series now available!

Post by stockwellpete »

My Clovis I multi-player series is now available for download from the in-game "Community" area. These three scenarios can be played individually, or they may be played as a "challenge" between the same two players. To play the "challenge" take it in turns too be Clovis I and the Salian Franks and see if you can win all three battle to emulate the achievements of the Merovingian king. To make it even harder finish with a fourth battle, a medium-sized Frankish civil war battle using the "Skirmish mode" to represent the final subjugation of other Frankish kings (e.g. Ragnachar, Sigebert the Lame) by Clovis I in the final years of his life.

Design notes: Soissons 486AD

Franks v Gallo-Romans

The only source for this is Gregory of Tour's "Historia Francorum". He lived 538-594AD.

The Frankish army was comprised of two main groups. Clovis I commanded the army, and was leader of the larger Salian Frank contingent. Ragnachar was leader of the smaller group of Cambrian Franks.
I have distinguished between these two groups of Franks by giving the Salian Franks some skirmishers and Clovis I himself is represented by a mounted cavalry unit. Ragnarchar's Cambrians are all represented by foot soldiers.

Syagrius was the leader of the Gallo-Roman army, which was most likely of a similar size to that of the Franks. It consisted of Gallo-Roman infantry and cavalry, but also had recruited significant groups of Germanic and Alan mercenaries.

Army points for this scenario – Franks 1524, Gallo-Romans 1435.

Design notes: Tolbiac 496AD

Franks v Alemanni

Again, the only source for this is Gregory of Tour's "Historia Francorum".

There is very little definite information about this battle and some historians actually suggest 506AD as an alternative date, while others think that there were actually two separate battles of Tolbiac. We do know the Frankish invasion of the Alamanni domains was undertaken by two Frankish groups, the Salians led by Clovis I and the Ripuarians commanded by Sigebert the Lame. There had been a number of border incidents between the Alemanni and the Ripuarian Franks prior to this joint invasion.

The name of the Alemanni commander is not known. For the purposes of this scenario he is called Gibuld, who was the last known king of the Alemanni. It is thought that his successor, whoever that was, led the Alemanni army at Tolbiac.
There is a very important legend connected to this battle. Gregory of Tours records in his "Historia Francorum" that Clovis I, being hard-pressed by the Alemanni, called out to God for help. When his enemies fled the field he subsequently converted to Christianity in a ceremony at Reims at Christmas 496.

To reflect this legend I have represented this battle as an evenly matched encounter where the Alamanni were able to ambush the Franks at the start of the battle. I have also made it a "Kill the King" scenario to increase the likelihood of a leader death ending the battle very quickly.

Army points for this scenario – Franks 1384 Allemani 1308.

Design notes: Vouille 507AD

Franks v Visigoths

The sources for this battle are Gregory of Tours "Historia Francorum" again; Jordanes "The Getica" and Isidore of Seville "Historia de regibus Gothorum, Vandalorum et Suevorum."

Clovis I attacked the territories of the Visigoths, whose king was Alaric II. The Franks were now Catholics while the Visigoths remained Arian. Clovis and the Salian Franks were assisted by Chloderic, king of the Ripuarian Franks, and possibly by the Burgundians and Armoricans as well. I have chosen to represent all four contingents in this scenario.

Alaric's army combined Visigoths and "post-Roman" Auvergnat and Clermont soldiers, the last group being commanded by Apollinaris of Clermont. Gregory of Tours can be interpreted to give the Visigoths a larger number of archers (represented here by light foot skirmishers), while Jordanes suggests that Alaric's army had been weakened in the years leading up to the invasion by the movement of some noble Visigothic families to Spain. It is for this reason that the Visigothic army has fewer leader figures than the Frankish army.

Army points for this scenario – Franks 1537, Visigoths 1468 (amended for v3).

Any comments/suggestions are most welcome. :D
Last edited by stockwellpete on Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Clovis I series now available!

Post by stockwellpete »

I am getting a bit of feedback on this series. There are a couple of minor errors and balancing issues that I will address in due course with version 2's. Soissons will be made a "Kill the King" scenario like the others and there will be a few modifications to the Frankish side. With Tolbiac, some of the Alamanni skirmishers are visible in the deployment phase when they should be hidden. It has also been suggested to me that the Alamanni army should have more cavalry.
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

Hello, Pete!

Do you have any plans to make SP versions of your scernarios available too?

Cheers,

A.

IC XC
NI KA
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Adebar wrote:Hello, Pete!

Do you have any plans to make SP versions of your scernarios available too?

Cheers,

A.
I don't at the moment as I hardly play single player at all. My main area of interest is later medieval so I will be do lots of multi-player scenarios for that period in due course. :wink:
mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdavis41 »

Sorry for my ignorance, but how does one download these scenarios from the "Community" Area? In fact, what is the Community Area? I download everything I see in the downloads section but I have not seen any of your interesting scenarios post there. Thanks for any help.
mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdavis41 »

Is it possible I can't see these new scenarios because I'm currently involved in Beta testing?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

mdavis41 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:54 am Is it possible I can't see these new scenarios because I'm currently involved in Beta testing?
No, Beta testing shouldn't affect it at all. When you are loading the game up you press "Play Game" at first and then in the very next screen look in the top left hand corner of the screen and it is the fourth icon called "Download Community Scenarios". Mine should be there. If they are not I have no idea why not.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

stockwellpete wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:23 am
mdavis41 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:54 am Is it possible I can't see these new scenarios because I'm currently involved in Beta testing?
No, Beta testing shouldn't affect it at all. When you are loading the game up you press "Play Game" at first and then in the very next screen look in the top left hand corner of the screen and it is the fourth icon called "Download Community Scenarios". Mine should be there. If they are not I have no idea why not.
The usual reason would be that one has already downloaded them.
Richard Bodley Scott

mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdavis41 »

No, Richard, I have not downloaded them! However I have downloaded other Community scenarios as they have appeared ready to download. These have not. Have others been able to download them? Are there any other reasons why they are not visible to download? I am very interested in stockwellpete's work and would really like to see/play these.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

mdavis41 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:31 pm No, Richard, I have not downloaded them! However I have downloaded other Community scenarios as they have appeared ready to download. These have not. Have others been able to download them? Are there any other reasons why they are not visible to download? I am very interested in stockwellpete's work and would really like to see/play these.
It should be noted that they are all MP only. So you would not see them if you had the MP filter turned off.
Richard Bodley Scott

mdavis41
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mdavis41 »

Richard, thank you. I have located them now in the MP section. I thought they were available as standard games. They are all there and I appreciate the help and stockwellpete's wonderful scenarios. What great community support for a magnificent game.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

An updated version of Vouille 507 will be available shortly. It is a substantial re-write and the army points totals have been amended to Franks 1537, Visigoths 1468.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Scenario Design”