Scenario creation guide part 6 (Scenario Descriptions)

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Scenario creation guide part 6 (Scenario Descriptions)

Post by Paul59 »

Next let’s complete the scenario description texts.

For that we need to click on the “Scenario Description Exporter” button:

The “Scenario Description Editor” window pops up:

The Scenario Name field is automatically filled in with the name of your scenario file, in this case Kynoskephalai. The rest of the fields are left blank for you to complete. There are some brief descriptions on the window, of what these various fields are, but it may be helpful if I explain in more detail:

Scenario Name: This is the name that will appear in the Field of Glory 2 Scenario selection screen. It’s best not to have the battle name too long, as the text can get in the way of the date on screen.

Scenario Description: The description that appears underneath the world map in the Scenarios selection screen.

Scenario Title: This is the name of the battle that appears at the very start of the scenario on the scroll. It also appears in the top left hand corner of the battle screen.

Scenario Subtitle: This appears below the scenario title in the top left hand corner of the battle screen. For official scenarios (and mine) this is the name of the province/area that the battle took place in, and the date. I use this format: Thessaly – 197 BC.

Scenario Briefing: This is what appears on the scroll at the start of the scenario, beneath the Victory Conditions. I normally use it to give a very brief outline of the strengths and weaknesses of the two armies, and any special rules or circumstances that might apply. I would not mention if there is an ambush or other nasty surprise for the player!

When you are finished, just click “Export Description” and close the window.

The Editor saves all these entries to the Text9.txt file that sits in the scenario folder. Once saved to that file any amendments can be made by directly editing that file, you do not need to do it all through the editor.

There is also a description that appears on the Module selection screen, this cannot be written in the editor, but you just add it directly to the Text9.txt file. The entry is called IDS_CAMPAIGN_TEXT.

Once completed the Text9.txt file will look like this:

IDS_CAMPAIGN_TEXT,"Kynoskephalai. Thessaly, 197 BC. King Philip V of Macedon made the serious mistake of allying with Hannibal during the Second Punic War. Now with that war at an end, Rome was free to punish him. Fortunately, Rome's allies in Greece, alarmed by Philip's aggressive foreign policy, appealed to Rome for help. For two years the war was a stalemate, but in 198 BC the Consul Titus Quinctius Flamininus was sent to Greece to take command of the Roman legions and their Greek allies.",
IDS_SCENARIO_KYNOSKEPHALAI,"Battle of Kynoskephalai",
IDS_SCENARIO_DESC_KYNOSKEPHALAI,"After some skirmishing in difficult terrain near Pherae, Philip decided to march his army westwards, hoping to find more suitable ground to deploy his phalanx. Flamininus marched after him, the two armies seperated by a range of low hills. One morning the Macedonian and Roman scouting parties ran into each other on top of a ridge called Kynoskephalai, on account of it's similarity to a dog's head. The skirmish rapidly got out of hand, both sides receiving frequent reinforcement, until the majority of both armies cavalry and light troops were involved. With the Macedonians getting the upper hand, Philip was persuaded to mobilise his phalanx and launch an all out attack. Meanwhile on the other side of the ridge, the Roman legions were forming up.~~Historical Victor: Romans.~~Aftermath: The war at an end, Flamininus imposed quite generous peace terms on Macedon, and he was allowed to keep his crown, but Flamininus declared that all Greek cities free, for now.",
IDS_SCENARIO_DESC_KYNOSKEPHALAI_B,"Battle of Kynoskephalai",
IDS_SCENARIO_DESC_KYNOSKEPHALAI_C,"Thessaly - 197 BC",
IDS_SCENARIO_DESC_KYNOSKEPHALAI_D,"The Macedonian army has marched to the top of the ridge, but half the phalanx has been slow forming up and is still marching up the hill. The light troops of both sides have retreated behind their heavy infantry and will probably play little role in the battle to come. Philip's phalanx has the advantage of having gained the high ground before the Roman legions.",
Last edited by Paul59 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Scenario creation guide part 6 (Scenario Descritions)

Post by vakarr »

So now we know how to create a single scenario.One more section is needed - how to create a campaign.
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

How do you get your scenario details included in this list?
Scenario list screen
Scenario list screen
scenario list.png (461.43 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
OK I get it, it's in here:

[ODRYSIANS_VS_TRIBALLI]
SIDE0 20 - where do I find the list of possible armies and their numbers? What number is Thracian?
SIDE1 19
DATE 2576 // All dates start from 3000 BC - so deduct from 2576 from 3000 this gives 424 BC
MAPX 610 // Pixel x location of battle in EpicMap_Ptolemy.dds - got this right, it's in Thrace
MAPY 410 // Pixel y location of battle in EpicMap_Ptolemy.dds - got that done

Just need that army number detail to finish my scenario (assuming I don't try to change anything about the strengths and weaknesses of individual units)
The battle worked out well - Sitalkes got killed as he did in real life, though the Odrysians won.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Look for the IDS_SIDENAME tags in /Data/Text2.txt

Thracians are 41
Richard Bodley Scott

vakarr

Post by vakarr »

OK, found it, thankyou!

Return to “Field of Glory II: Scenario Design”