Scenario creation guide part 5 (Assigning Custom Unit Names)

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Scenario creation guide part 5 (Assigning Custom Unit Names)

Post by Paul59 »

Normally when units are placed on the map, they carry the standard unit name for that unit type, ie; Pike Phalanx, Light Javelinmen, Superior Warband (Close Order) and so on.
However, the editor allows us to assign custom unit names to the units on the map. This can add a little bit of flavor to the scenario. You don’t have to do this, you can just leave the standard unit names if you wish.

First, make sure that you are in the “Unit Placement Mode” (see Part 2 of these guides) and click on the “Custom Unit Names” button:

The “Custom Named Units” subscreen appears.

When you first open the subscreen the two top fields will be blank, but in the screen here I have already been entering some new names as you can see.

In the Name field, type in the new name that you want to apply to a unit (or units), in this screenshot I have typed in “Aetolian Thureophoroi”;

Then click on the “Add New Unit Name” button, this adds the new unit name to the available list in the field above:

Then, click on the name in the list, and it will be highlighted by a grey background;

Now click on the unit on the map that you want to rename:

In this instance, I have clicked on the Thureophoroi unit in map reference 26,53.

Then, click on the “Assign Name” button:

As you can now see when I mouse over the unit, the new unit name has been applied. It also appears in the top field of the “Custom Named Units” subscreen, alongside it’s standard name and its map reference.

Just carry on naming units, and when you have finished click on the “Close” button to remove the “Custom Named Units” subscreen.

If you make a mistake, just highlight the unit name that you want to remove in the top field and click on the “Remove Custom Name” button. Alternatively, all the custom unit names are saved to the Text9.txt file in the scenario folder, so you can open that and directly edit any name that is in there.

So, that’s how to change unit names through the editor. You can also change the unit names by modding the scenario Text1.txt file, but I will show you how to do that in a later instalment!
Last edited by Paul59 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Scenario creation guide part 5 (Assigning Custom Unit Na

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thanks Paul.
Richard Bodley Scott

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Paul
Thanks very much for this. If you make mistakes on creating your list of custom unit names such as typeo’s duplicate entries blank lines etc, is there any way of correcting them ? Also is there any way of importing a existing list made for an earlier scenario into another one ?

Many thanks
Ian
Last edited by Hoplite1963 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Hoplite1963 wrote:Hi Richard
Thanks very much for this.
Thank Paul, not me.
If you make mistakes on creating your list of custom unit names such as typeo’s duplicate entries blank lines etc, is there any way of correcting them ?
You can't actually correct them in the editor but you can either delete them in the editor and type them in again, or correct them in the text9.txt file that the editor writes them to.
Also is there any way of importing a existing list made for an earlier scenario into another one ?
I guess copy them from that scenario's text9.txt file, and change the index numbers if there are any duplicates.
Richard Bodley Scott

Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Thanks Richard. Deleting the file the incorrect names are in and starting again seems to work quite well here.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Hoplite1963 wrote:Thanks Richard. Deleting the file the incorrect names are in and starting again seems to work quite well here.
No need to do that. Just edit the incorrect strings in the file. (Use Notepad, or better, Notepad++)
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Re: Scenario creation guide part 5 (Assigning Custom Unit Names)

Post by fogman »

You can edit names, but can you edit attributes (number of men, armour, weapons, etc.)?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

fogman wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:23 pm You can edit names, but can you edit attributes (number of men, armour, weapons, etc.)?
Yes, you can. For official scenarios I have to use code in the scenarios .bsf file, which is quite complicated, and limited in some respects.

But for a user created scenario, the best way is just include a custom Squads.csv file in your scenario folder. When the game runs your scenario it will read the custom Squads,csv file rather than the vanilla game version, so you can change any value you want. You can even create new units with stats of your choosing.

This thread discusses the Squads.csv file:

viewtopic.php?f=492&t=80096

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

this is giving me some Pike and Shot vibes... not sure if that is good.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Is there a ready made file somewhere so it can used as a template?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

fogman wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:45 pm Is there a ready made file somewhere so it can used as a template?
In the main directory of the game build there is a file called

SCENARIOTEMPLATE.BSF

which is a template scenario script.

Just copy it into your custom scenario directory and change the name to match that of your scenario's .BAM file.

------------------------

But it is much easier to added modded units to a custom Squads.csv file in your custom "Campaign" folder.

Just copy Squads.csv and Squads.xlsx from /DATA in the main game build, to the main folder (NOT /Data folder) of your custom folder.

Squads.csv is what the game actually uses, but I find it easier to make changes in Squads.xlsx, which is fully formatted, and then save them also as Squads.csv
Richard Bodley Scott

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

1) Which column refers to the graphic of the unit?
IconID or AssetFilename ?

I noticed though the a 'pikes' IconID is had by many non pikes units...

2) Is it right that I can essentially delete any unit I won't be using, creating, editing?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

fogman wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:31 am 1) Which column refers to the graphic of the unit?
IconID or AssetFilename ?
AssetFilename
I noticed though the a 'pikes' IconID is had by many non pikes units...
IconID isn't used at all, it is a hangover from previous games. I can't remove it because it is required by the engine.
2) Is it right that I can essentially delete any unit I won't be using, creating, editing?
Probably, but it might be safer to just add new ones at the end.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Scenario Design”