Freezes / hangs

Mich_7
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Freezes / hangs

Post by Mich_7 »

Hi Tech support,

I play on maximum settings (with also AA 8X) and experience occasional freezes/hangs, particularly when selecting units ingame.
With my system specs I think I should be able to play the game on full settings without problems:

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K 4.2 GHZ
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI 11GB
32 GB RAM
Windows 10

The issue goes away with lower AA but occurs pretty random so I was wondering if this is a problem more people experience?
Does a solution exist apart from lowering the graphics?

Greetings
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Freezes / hangs

Post by VPaulus »

Check if you also experience freezes in Windowed mode.
Could you please also zip and attach a DxDiag report file?

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8/10 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8/10)
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice
6. Zip it and attach to your post
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Do you mean the game hangs forever, that is crashes, or that there is a judder or stall after which the game continues?

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Mich_7

Post by Mich_7 »

Thanks for the reactions.
There are short hangs of the screen/mouse (< 1 second), no long freezes or crashes. And as I said this does usually only occassionaly occur when selecting units, after which the game continues.
I already tried windowed mode but it didn't help, also tried different NVIDIA settings but didn't help.

DXDIAG file = attached.

Greetings
Attachments
DxDiag1.zip
(14.78 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

try and remove all USB devices and just have a standard USB keyboard and mouse and retry

what version of Razer's Hardware Configuration Tool do you use? there is quite a few gaming issues with Razer's Hardware and some windows 10 games

try and run the game with a clean start up with as many apps and programs disabled as you can
ccleaner.jpg
ccleaner.jpg (84.46 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
and see if this and standard USB device makes the game work any better

my main startup is steam and my windows AV, and that's it

my sound, is onboard and like almost everything that gets pushed into the startup, works 100% without needing to be in there, stuff like work eg words / office etc and almost everything else works fine without being in startup, just taking maybe a fraction of a second longer to load, than having it pre loaded each and every boot.

i can't replicate the error with lessor hardware, so something isn't right on the driver or hardware side to make it happen, with your CPU and GPU being much better than my test rig so a conflict is there somewhere, but to find out what, i'd need a copy of screenshot of the start up and info like does it work better with what's been mentioned above or not?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Yes, I too, think that can be related with the Razer software.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

The game sometimes has to load up a new mesh when you select a unit, so it is likely that - if the AV (as an example) steps in then the fact that the actual data is likely cached by Windows won't help as the AV will still want to do its thing. That is my best guess anyway.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Mich_7

Post by Mich_7 »

Thanks all! I think the issue indeed might be mouse related, I will look into this later.
Furthermore, I again tried windowed mode + used alternative NVIDIA settings (no vertical synchronisation, no triple buffering and maximum GPU energy).
And now the issue occurs only rarely.

So the game works fine enough now!

Greetings
Mich_7

Post by Mich_7 »

Hi,

Looked like the issue was solved but it kept coming back randomly in game (sometimes no hangs at all, sometimes some hangs), until I moved the whole
game location to another harddrive: my system (C) drive. This is also a SSD drive so quicker compared to my normal hard drive. It seems now the issue is entirely
gone.

Greetings
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

glad to hear it, so now you can enjoy the game

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”