failed to unpack community scenarios

Russki
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

failed to unpack community scenarios

Post by Russki »

Hi

For a while I have had the "failed to unpack community scenarios" issue with FOG2

I use Windows 10 64 bit and avast internet security
I tried the various forum possible solutions and none of them worked for me.
I was sure that the antivirus was the problem but had no success when I disabled all avast shields (right click on tray icon) or created an exception for the various FOG2 folders
However, when I disabled just the ransomware shield (which is protecting the documents folder) I immediately was able to download the community scenarios and mods

I really have no explanation why disabling all shields does not disable the ransomware shield - however thought I would share this in case anyone else is having this issue and uses Avast.

Regards

Mark
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: failed to unpack community scenarios

Post by zakblood »

welcome to the forum,

turn off or add the game to the avast whitelist or safelist etc, as it's known poor gaming AV, not an issue with the game tbh, just a poor program eg the anti virus package
Russki

Post by Russki »

Hi Zakblood...I had also tried what you suggested without success

regards

Mark
drewgalander
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by drewgalander »

Similar problem since changing my anti virus software to Bitdefender. I can play FOG II fine but the "download community scenarios" lists are empty. Clearly it's the ant virus software but as Russki has done I've included the game info in the "allow" section through the firewall etc. I assume it's the ransomware protection bit of the software that is causing the issue and have contacted Bitdefender to see what they say.....will update this if they come up with a solution. I would add the following two observations however:

1. A small number of my other games are affected - they appear to be ones where the game needs to contact a website during play rather than the loading sequence (i.e. you can easily list the exe. in the anti virus safe section but fore some games this doesn't appear to be enough). This lack of consistency on response from the program is the bit that threw me.

2. There may be an issue with Slitherine's website security certificate - or at least it is showing up as such. I mention this for two reasons - when I worked (happily now retired :D ) this was often an issue with a number of companies I dealt with online. Secondly Bitdefender produces this message:
"Online Threat Prevention firefox.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to prm.slitherine.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one."
- which could be the issue.

Any thoughts or am I simply missing something?

Update to above post:
Solved first issue. Deleted permissions in Bitdefender and then re-listed them - community scenarios now showing so seems to have been a glitch with the permissions in the anti-virus software (as suspected).
I'd still be interested in any thoughts on the second point!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I will draw this to Pip's attention.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

drewgalander wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:22 am Similar problem since changing my anti virus software to Bitdefender. I can play FOG II fine but the "download community scenarios" lists are empty. Clearly it's the ant virus software but as Russki has done I've included the game info in the "allow" section through the firewall etc. I assume it's the ransomware protection bit of the software that is causing the issue and have contacted Bitdefender to see what they say.....will update this if they come up with a solution. I would add the following two observations however:

1. A small number of my other games are affected - they appear to be ones where the game needs to contact a website during play rather than the loading sequence (i.e. you can easily list the exe. in the anti virus safe section but fore some games this doesn't appear to be enough). This lack of consistency on response from the program is the bit that threw me.

2. There may be an issue with Slitherine's website security certificate - or at least it is showing up as such. I mention this for two reasons - when I worked (happily now retired :D ) this was often an issue with a number of companies I dealt with online. Secondly Bitdefender produces this message:
"Online Threat Prevention firefox.exe attempted to establish a connection relying on an unmatching security certificate to prm.slitherine.com. We blocked the connection to keep your data safe since the used certificate was issued for a different web address than the targeted one."
- which could be the issue.

Any thoughts or am I simply missing something?

Update to above post:
Solved first issue. Deleted permissions in Bitdefender and then re-listed them - community scenarios now showing so seems to have been a glitch with the permissions in the anti-virus software (as suspected).
I'd still be interested in any thoughts on the second point!
I am glad to hear you have solved this, but just to be clear for other users, the community scenarios sit in the My Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory2/CAMPAIGNS folder. It is this folder that should be allowed in your anti virus software, not just the main game installation folder.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”