Warbands visible in forest.

Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Warbands visible in forest.

Post by Ludendorf »

In a tournament match between Batesmotel and myself, I noticed one of his warband models in the woods. I am obviously not supposed to be able to see this unit fully yet there it is. Is this by design for large units?
Attachments
Warbands visible in forest.jpg
Warbands visible in forest.jpg (693.63 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Warbands visible in forest.

Post by Morbio »

I have an issue, which is somewhat linked, why do units that rally when hidden in forest have their rallying visible to the opponent? It makes no sense and at best gives away the fact it has rallied, and at worst it tells the opponent that there is a unit there which may otherwise be unknown.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Ludendorf wrote:In a tournament match between Batesmotel and myself, I noticed one of his warband models in the woods. I am obviously not supposed to be able to see this unit fully yet there it is. Is this by design for large units?
I don't think either of those are actually woods squares. One of them would be, but the wood is trumped by the track through it, so it is treated as track rather than woods.
Richard Bodley Scott

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Ludendorf wrote:In a tournament match between Batesmotel and myself, I noticed one of his warband models in the woods. I am obviously not supposed to be able to see this unit fully yet there it is. Is this by design for large units?
I don't think either of those are actually woods squares. One of them would be, but the wood is trumped by the track through it, so it is treated as track rather than woods.
I'm not referring to the squares where the warbands are fully visible. If you look at the woods themselves towards the centre right, you can just about see a little blue banner and a warband soldier standing on a wood tile. I'm pretty certain there's no track there. Apologies; I could've been more clear.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

It appears to be because the footprint of the warband unit is so large that when it is faced diagonally, one of the men is actually on the adjacent non-woods square. The engine apparently renders each man depending on whether the square it is on is visible, rather than the square its unit is on. It also seems to be rendering the standard depending on whether any of the men are visible.

This may be curable, I will have to talk to Pip, who is in charge of the engine code. However, it could be justified on the grounds that the discipline of the warband is so poor that some of the men reveal themselves.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Morbio wrote:I have an issue, which is somewhat linked, why do units that rally when hidden in forest have their rallying visible to the opponent? It makes no sense and at best gives away the fact it has rallied, and at worst it tells the opponent that there is a unit there which may otherwise be unknown.
Your logic is impeccable.

However, we would need to weigh the advantages of fixing this against the slew of posts we would then get about the enemy rout % going down for no apparent reason.

On balance it may be better to leave things as they are, even though it would be more realistic as you suggest.
Richard Bodley Scott

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Morbio wrote:I have an issue, which is somewhat linked, why do units that rally when hidden in forest have their rallying visible to the opponent? It makes no sense and at best gives away the fact it has rallied, and at worst it tells the opponent that there is a unit there which may otherwise be unknown.

However, we would need to weigh the advantages of fixing this against the slew of posts we would then get about the enemy rout % going down for no apparent reason.

On balance it may be better to leave things as they are, even though it would be more realistic as you suggest.
Maybe a textbox saying 'an enemy unit has rallied somewhere' rather than the usual big rally horn?
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

Ludendorf wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

Maybe a textbox saying 'an enemy unit has rallied somewhere' rather than the usual big rally horn?
That seems like a reasonable solution.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”