Wine and Linux

Philotomy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Wine and Linux

Post by Philotomy »

Has anyone had any success running Field of Glory II on Linux using Wine?

I've run the original Field of Glory using Linux/Wine for years, but I haven't purchased Field of Glory II (I don't have a PC running Windows, at this point). Wondering if there's any hope.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Wine and Linux

Post by zakblood »

sorry not unless the developer can comment, not something support can answer on a pc release, but dont give up, someone on main maybe able to answer, so feel free to post there and good luck on finding a answer
Philotomy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Philotomy »

I went ahead and purchased it. I'm happy to say that I was able to get it running on Linux with Wine. I just played through the first tutorial battle and so far everything seems to be working, so I'm pleased.

I did have an initial issue with the game not being able to set the graphics mode, but I changed the OPTIONS.TXT to turn off fullscreen and specified the max resolution of my monitor, which got me past that.

FWIW (and for reference for anyone else trying to run the game on Linux), I'm running the game on Arch Linux (kernel 4.16.3) with Wine 3.9, Xorg 1.20.0, and the amdgpu open source video driver (18.0.1).
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

glad you got it working and also glad you enjoy the game
Philotomy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Philotomy »

Thanks! I'm enjoying it. Great game, and it has more of the "feel" of the tabletop game.

Also, another Linux/Wine tech note: I switched to Wine 3.10 (staging) with the Gallium Nine patches (native Linux Direct3D 9 via Mesa). When using Gallium Nine, the fullscreen mode works fine, and I'm seeing smoother/better graphic performance (I suppose because it avoids the translation from Direct3D -> OpenGL).

[EDIT/UPDATE]:

I got in contact with one of the Wine developers, who created a patch that fixes the fullscreen mode issue when running with standard Wine. Hopefully it will be incorporated into the stable branch of Wine, at some point in the future. For now, the options that have worked for me are:
  • Run with standard/stable Wine (3.10) with fullscreen off and the resolution set to maximum for the monitor (in OPTIONS.TXT)
  • Run with Wine staging (3.10) with the Gallium Nine patches. (No need to modify OPTIONS.TXT)
  • Run with Wine staging (3.10) with the new patch (the patch file can be found here). (If you want to do this, you'll need to compile Wine from source, applying the patch as part of your build.)

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”