Unrealistic Tactic

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Unrealistic Tactic

Post by canuckgamer »

A tactic that my friend and I use is to attack routed units. The routed units run and the attacking unit follows giving it additional movement. This is helpful when you are trying to move a unit to an area on the battlefield as your unit gets there quicker. My suggestion is that when a unit attacks a routed unit, the routed unit still runs but the attacking unit stays in the hex that it attacked from.
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Unrealistic Tactic

Post by AlexDetrojan »

+1
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

canuckgamer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 pm A tactic that my friend and I use is to attack routed units. The routed units run and the attacking unit follows giving it additional movement. This is helpful when you are trying to move a unit to an area on the battlefield as your unit gets there quicker. My suggestion is that when a unit attacks a routed unit, the routed unit still runs but the attacking unit stays in the hex that it attacked from.
If they are infantry (apart from warbands and raw) they already do.

Mounted troops pursue routed troops that they charge, because this was one of their historical roles - to prevent the enemy from rallying. Of course, it may backfire, and they may pursue into the sunset.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

canuckgamer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 pm The routed units run and the attacking unit follows giving it additional movement. This is helpful when you are trying to move a unit to an area on the battlefield as your unit gets there quicker.
I secretly hoped nobody would ever notice this. :mrgreen:

IC XC
NI KA
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm
If they are infantry (apart from warbands and raw) they already do.

Mounted troops pursue routed troops that they charge, because this was one of their historical roles - to prevent the enemy from rallying. Of course, it may backfire, and they may pursue into the sunset.
I agree, and would not want this changed. It is historical to use cavalry to charge routed enemy, and it is hardly cheating as it is a very unpredictable tactic to use. You have no control over where your unit ends up, or when it will rally.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

My friend and I have been using this tactic for some time now without any of our cavalry pursuing off the map. If you have a routed unit close to the east map edge and you attack from the east it runs to the west toward the centre of the map. Similarily if the routed unit is in the middle of the map it would take multiple pursuit moves by the cavalry to exit the map and that doesn't happen often ever if at all. Basically you can pick and choose which routed units to attack to gain the extra movement. Neither of us ever attack routed units to prevent them from rallying because even if they do rally, their cohesion is fragmented so they are still pretty well useless.
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

"Increased movement" from chasing routed units is perfectly reasonable. There are countless examples of routed units being pursued with the unpredictable outcomes varying from routing the entire enemy army to the pursuers (or the rest of their army) getting completely destroyed. It can be presumed that maneuvering units are moving at a sustainable marching pace aka no running of galloping but when in pursuit they will be driven by their bloodthirst.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

canuckgamer wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 pm Neither of us ever attack routed units to prevent them from rallying because even if they do rally, their cohesion is fragmented so they are still pretty well useless.

Not entirely useless as they reduce the rout score.
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

If you experienced cavalry rallies for two successive turns just by the flank of your unit, you will reconsider the usefulness of pursuing the rout. ;)
Meditans ex luce mundi
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Indeed. Even with pursuit, routers sometimes manage to dodge and rally. One reason I prefer lists with a bit of light horse is for the express purpose of chasing routers off the board or to dispersal.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

I had to say that I have just charged a routed unit to prevent it from rallying.

Wolves from the Sea 2 Campaign battle, my Byzantines versus Rus, last turn, I am 50% to 54% ahead. During the previous few turns the AI has had a severe case of rallingitis (as I call it). So to prevent any more of their units rallying in the last turn, and denying me the victory, I charged a routed shieldwall unit.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

Return to “Field of Glory II”