Wedge Formation!

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Blastom1016
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Wedge Formation!

Post by Blastom1016 »

I saw lots of historical armies use wedge formation, but the explanation on the reason behind it was always obscure.
They just said it's like a nail or a drill to break the center of enemy formation, etc.

So I tried it in game. It worked!
:wink: From my experience, it not something about the physics of a sharp point. It's a line-up, when a small elite force facing a larger less-qualified force, to delay the contact on the wings and bring time for the center to break through, before the wings get overwhelmed (as smaller force will mostly have a shorter line).

So I think the reversed wedge formation is for larger mob force to make contact on the wings (and provide flank attacks), while delay the contact at the center.

This is my line-up, there're some mistakes on the ones in circle - they should be closer to the top to zoc flankers for the second line.
WedgetSetUp.jpg
WedgetSetUp.jpg (924.05 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
It worked as expected, and the riot force didn't had enough time to mob my flanks :)

Thank the devs for bringing us such a masterpiece.

Return to “Field of Glory II”