A Little Suggestion Regarding the Game's Shadows

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Vingry
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

A Little Suggestion Regarding the Game's Shadows

Post by Vingry »

As what the title suggests, this is merely a suggestion.

I think it would be better if the game were to divide/classify its shadows' setting into two parts; the shadows for the environment, and the shadows for the miniatures. The reason as to why I came up with the suggestion is because somehow it always takes away my immersion from the game whenever both the shadows of the environment and miniatures mesh with one another. Perhaps it's because I've always used the combination of both the miniature models and the extensive environment as my way to imagine how the battle would actually look like if I were to zoom in real close to the battlefield and see the armies clashing with one another in their actual correct formation size (I don't know what other term to describe the exact number of people comprised in each formation). And the small trees, bushes, lakes, and buildings, really do help me enhance the experience as through them, I can get the feel of how big is the scale of the battle. Therefore, the moment both the shadows of the environment and the miniatures come in contact and overlap, my mind would begin to think as if the sizes of the miniatures are already correct, making them look like actual giants in the map. If this suggestion were to be implemented, I would only enable the shadows for the environment and disable the ones for the miniatures. As for the meantime, I'll stick to having the overall shadows for the game disabled.

Again, this is only a suggestion. I might one day see this become materialized, or not. It's fine with me either way.

One thing for sure, you developers have developed a really great game and I appreciate all the work and efforts that have gone into the making of this game. Have a nice day! :)
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: A Little Suggestion Regarding the Game's Shadows

Post by jomni »

To add, can we have shadows shifting as the day goes by? Assuming the standard number of turns corresponds to daylight hours.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you suggesting the option to turn off the shadows for the men? I suspect that would look even more odd.
Richard Bodley Scott

Vingry

Post by Vingry »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:02 am Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you suggesting the option to turn off the shadows for the men? I suspect that would look even more odd.
Now that you mentioned it, I think an option like that is the one that I've long been wanting for the game to have. I mean, the game would definitely look ugly if both the shadows of the environment and the miniatures were to be of different quality (for example, quality of the shadows for the environment being high and the miniatures' being low), assuming that the suggestion to have a separate shadows settings in the menu options were to be implemented into the game. So perhaps an option to turn off the shadows for the men is a better idea than the one which I have just suggested (I bet now you're thinking,"I didn't mean for him to turn this into a good idea"). Additionally, I believe that it would help players with low end PCs or laptops to be able to enjoy the game with higher performance while at the same time, not compromising too much of the game's quality. That is, if they were to be given the option to disable the shadows for the miniatures.

I know the game may not look as aesthetically pleasing with its miniatures' shadows being turned off as compared to just having the shadows being applied to everything in the map, but I just have this strong feeling that it will definitely improve my immersion within the game.

Thanks for the quick response btw.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

jomni wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 am To add, can we have shadows shifting as the day goes by? Assuming the standard number of turns corresponds to daylight hours.
The shadows follow the light, so if you change the lighting the shadows will change.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 pm
jomni wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 am To add, can we have shadows shifting as the day goes by? Assuming the standard number of turns corresponds to daylight hours.
The shadows follow the light, so if you change the lighting the shadows will change.

Cheers

Pip
Good info so we can slip in a code that adjusts the light per game turn?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

jomni wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:04 am
pipfromslitherine wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 pm

Cheers

Pip
Good info so we can slip in a code that adjusts the light per game turn?
I suspect you would need to swap to a different lighting file each time you want the light to change.
Richard Bodley Scott

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Correct - there is no way to tweak the lighting bit by bit - you would need to use SetLightingFile.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Vingry

Post by Vingry »

Firstly, I'd like to say sorry if by bringing this topic back for a second time might irritate some of you developers, but I would like to just make sure that you guys (Byzantine Games) consider this suggestion regarding the game's shadows that I think might just improve the game's performance for many players who use low end PCs or laptops to play the game.

To be more specific, this is the kind of suggestion that I'm referring to:
rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:02 am Are you suggesting the option to turn off the shadows for the men?
Thank you. :)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

We have considered the suggestion, but have not yet decided whether to implement it.

As you can imagine, we have to prioritise use of development time.
Richard Bodley Scott

Vingry

Post by Vingry »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:28 pm We have considered the suggestion, but have not yet decided whether to implement it.

As you can imagine, we have to prioritise use of development time.
Oh I see. I was just afraid that you guys might have forgotten about it. Anyway, good luck on the development!

Return to “Field of Glory II”