What is the reasoning that crossbow diffs effect against cav and foot while bow doesn't

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

What is the reasoning that crossbow diffs effect against cav and foot while bow doesn't

Post by melm »

Curious to know the historicity behind the design.
Meditans ex luce mundi
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: What is the reasoning that crossbow diffs effect against cav and foot while bow doesn't

Post by MVP7 »

What difference exactly do you mean? I thought the only difference between the two was that crossbow has lower base damage but ignores armour.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: What is the reasoning that crossbow diffs effect against cav and foot while bow doesn't

Post by jomni »

Must be the rate of fire.
Last edited by jomni on Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

melm wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:25 pm Curious to know the historicity behind the design.
We are drawing a balance between:

1) Crossbow lower rate of fire.
2) Chinese use of crossbows vs nomad cavalry.
3) Crossbow better vs armour than ordinary bows.
4) Crossbow loses in a duel vs longbows. (Although other reasons have been put forward for the debacle at Crecy)
Richard Bodley Scott

melm

Post by melm »

MVP7 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:47 am What difference exactly do you mean? I thought the only difference between the two was that crossbow has lower base damage but ignores armour.
I mean crossbow has -16% against cavalry but -41% against foot, but bow/sling/javelin doesn't differentiate the effect against mounted or foot. RBS's point #2 may be the reason.
Meditans ex luce mundi
melm

Post by melm »

Yes, I've read that lack of shield-bearer is the reason for the poor behavior of crossbowmen in Crecy.
Meditans ex luce mundi

Return to “Field of Glory II”