Why no Tours/Poitiers?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
sIg3b
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Why no Tours/Poitiers?

Post by sIg3b » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:33 am

I was a bit surprised that the most important/most well-known battle of the period isn´t in the new add-on as either Epic or part of a Campaign?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Why no Tours/Poitiers?

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm

We were limited on the number of Epic Battles we could include, and we were trying to show off as many of the new armies as possible. Tours/Poitiers did not make the cut.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Dux Limitis » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:06 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm
We were limited on the number of Epic Battles we could include, and we were trying to show off as many of the new armies as possible. Tours/Poitiers did not make the cut.
Why did the game's new dlcs need to limited on the numbers of epic battles?Didn't more epic battles like in the based game and legions triumphant dlc aren't good?
I think the epic battle mode should add more most important and well known battles of the period,to let players take parts in it.Not just show off as many of the new armies as possible,because this can be well shown off in the custom battle mode.

sIg3b

Post by sIg3b » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:13 pm

I agree. If the number of Epic Battles is to be limited, then especially priority should be given to the most meaningful ones.

Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm

To be fair this is not so much a problem as an opportunity for scenario designers to use the editor to expand the number of what are lets face it really historical battles to fill in the gaps.

The scenario design process for FOG II is more complex than FOG I so this will take more time (although Paul59 has done that very detailed series of how to posts) but I am sure we will get there in the end. If you look at the number of scenarios that shipped with the original FOG I and its modules and compare that to the hundreds that are now available you will get an idea of where we are likely to end up in 3 to 4 years time.

Did the scenario for Tours for FOG I and once I retire will look at trying to rebuild it for FOG II along with all my other FOG I scenarios.

Take care
Ian

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 am

I have designed a multi-player version of Tours which is available now to download in-game.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:16 am

stockwellpete wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 am
I have designed a multi-player version of Tours which is available now to download in-game.
Thanks Pete
Richard Bodley Scott

Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:12 pm

Yes nice one Pete, playing in over the net now.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Hoplite1963 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:12 pm
Yes nice one Pete, playing in over the net now.
How did you get on with it? It is very tough for the Arab army.

Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Hi Pete
Playing your scenario as the Franks and about to loose. In my scenario the flaking route between the Frankish rear area and the Arab camp was blocked off by impassable hexes. I had forgotten that this was not the case in your scenario and send a large Frankish force down it only to have the Arabs cut in behind me. The weakened Frankish main battle line is just about to collapse.

Think you have done a nice job with the battle.

Kind regards
Ian

Return to “Field of Glory II”