Romans v Warbands

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Bombax
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Romans v Warbands

Post by Bombax »

Hi folks, back to playing FoG II after a break, and I'm a bit bemused by a few recent games (against the AI). I've been playing late Romans in the Stilicho campaign. My bemusement is around why, when Roman infantry initiate melee, their chances of taking big casualties from the initial impact are so high - even if they're e.g. superior heavy infantry fighting average warbands. I thought the Roman regular infantry counted as impact foot, so why the poor stats for their initial impact? And is there a way to avoid this, other than just waiting for 'the other guy' to charge in?
Ta,
Jay
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Romans v Warbands

Post by MVP7 »

The late Roman infantry is light-spear & swordsmen (with darts and bows for extra defense) rather than Impact Foot. Romans (and later Byzantines) adopted increasingly defensive infantry doctrines compared to late republican and early imperial period. One of the reason was probably increasing number of mounted opponents while classical warbands and pikemen become rarer and ultimately disappeared.
Bombax

Re: Romans v Warbands

Post by Bombax »

Ah right. I *should* have realised that. Thanks for pointing it out, MVP7!

Return to “Field of Glory II”