Field of Glory II - Indian Spring Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory II - Indian Spring Tournament

Post by Daniele »

India. At the fringe of the Hellenistic World. In these lands, Alexander the Great fought his last main battle. Here the cultural heritage of Hellas and Persia met Buddhism. Here the blood of many courageous and daring soldiers was spilled along the centuries. This is not a land for the faint of heart.

It is your time to prove your valour now!

We are pleased to announce another Field of Glory 2 public tournament. This will be played using the normal Field of Glory 2 Multiplayer system and our automated tournament system.

Anyone who has Field of Glory II can enter. You do not need to own any DLCs to enter.

To enter, go to the tournament page here:

http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/tournaments.asp

The general tournament rules can be found here:

http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/r ... terStatus=

The first round will commence on Wednesday 3rd April 2019 at 10.00 am GMT. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun.

Specific tournament rules:

This tournament will involve three rounds. The battles will be medium-sized custom battles.
Round 1: 327 BC. Macedonian invasion of India. Indian (500 BC-310 AD) vs Macedonian (328-321 BC). Tropical.
Round 2: 140 BC. Kingdom of Menander. Indian (500 BC-310 AD) vs Indo-Greek (175 BC-10 AD). Tropical.
Round 3: 500 AD. Sassanids in India. Indian (320-545 AD) vs Sassanid Persian (477-590 AD). Tropical.
Games are paired, so each matchup will be played both ways. Each player will be able to choose his forces using the normal force selection system. In each round, all players will be playing on the same randomly generated map for both games.
First round pairings will be selected randomly, subsequent rounds using the Swiss Chess system. Nobody will play the same opponent in more than one round.

The scoring system is as follows:

If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below.
If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed.

Examples:

1) If Ben defeats Tamas's army, and has inflicted 45% routed on Tamas, and Tamas has inflicted 15% on Ben, Ben will score 60 + (45 – 15) = 90, Tamas will score 15.

2) However, if Ben defeated Tamas’s army by inflicting 62% routed on Tamas, and Tamas had inflicted 56% routed on Ben, Ben would get 60 + (62 – 56) = 66 points, and Tamas would get 56.

3) If the game is unfinished (or it reached the turn limit) with Ben inflicting 20% routed on Tamas, and Tamas inflicting 10% routed on Ben, Ben would score 20, and Tamas would score 10. (Provided that between them they have played at least 24 turns in all – see below).

Note that this system rewards aggressive play over desultory skirmishing. If you rout an enemy unit then hide for the rest of the game, both players will get extremely low scores - lower than if they played hard and lost.

Byes:

If an odd number of players sign up for the tournament, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score. The score for a BYE is 75 points for each game.

Round times and timing out:

Each round will last 14 days.

Any battles that are not completed by the end of the round will be timed out. The player who has had the game in his “My Turns” box the longest overall will be the one who is deemed to be timed out. This will not normally incur any penalties, unless insufficient turns have been played: If the timed-out player has played less than 12 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score. If the timed-out player has played less than 6 turns, he will not be included in the draw for the next round. This is to prevent someone else’s enjoyment being spoiled by being drawn against someone who has apparently dropped out of the tournament.
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Re: Field of Glory II - Indian Spring Tournament

Post by pantherboy »

Could you please delete Zardoz02 from the tournament as he stopped playing over a week ago with the score at 30-0 (I was about to break him to make it a 40+ to zero victory) while the other was at 7-0 with him badly positioned and looking to be defeated in detail. I tried PM'ing him but no response. Please don't let him play another player.

Cheers,

Steve
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pantherboy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:37 pm Could you please delete Zardoz02 from the tournament as he stopped playing over a week ago with the score at 30-0 (I was about to break him to make it a 40+ to zero victory) while the other was at 7-0 with him badly positioned and looking to be defeated in detail. I tried PM'ing him but no response. Please don't let him play another player.

Cheers,

Steve
Hi Steve. How many turns were played in each game?
Richard Bodley Scott

pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

Not sure what turn it was but he stopped playing on the 5th of April. I guess I had 5 or 6 turns in both. Definitely was still early. All I had time was to move forward in both. One match he came forward too but was poorly displaced and was hammered with poor matchups (basically a line of archers versus my mix of cavalry, spears and elephants) which I suspect took the wind out of his sails to play on but in the other he held a defensive position and I was just getting into shooting range after simply moving forward though I did eliminate his skirmisher screen.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pantherboy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:13 pm Not sure what turn it was but he stopped playing on the 5th of April. I guess I had 5 or 6 turns in both. Definitely was still early. All I had time was to move forward in both. One match he came forward too but was poorly displaced and was hammered with poor matchups (basically a line of archers versus my mix of cavalry, spears and elephants) which I suspect took the wind out of his sails to play on but in the other he held a defensive position and I was just getting into shooting range after simply moving forward though I did eliminate his skirmisher screen.
If the total number of turns played by both sides is less than 12 he will automatically get booted from the tournament. We can't manually remove people without risking breaking the system.

My opponent did not show up at all!

You and I should both get the Bye points.

(OMG that means I might have to play you in the next round).
Richard Bodley Scott

blobka
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by blobka »

Good day!

I feel obliged to inform you, honest public, that I do not have the Age of Belisarious DLC thus having this sort of texture issue. Not a general problem and is to this particular occasion related so I decided to put it here https://imgur.com/a/XkHjdoy :roll:

Regards,
blobka
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

blobka wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 pm Good day!

I feel obliged to inform you, honest public, that I do not have the Age of Belisarious DLC thus having this sort of texture issue. Not a general problem and is to this particular occasion related so I decided to put it here https://imgur.com/a/XkHjdoy :roll:

Regards,
blobka
Hmm, you should have all of the textures, whether or not you have unlocked all of the DLCs.

Did the same thing happen to the Sassanid cavalry in the game where you are playing the Indian side?

If not, one possibility is that your opponent has added additional textures to his build. (This would not trigger a "scripts changed" alert as it does not alter gameplay). The textures to the units of both sides are assigned randomly from the textures available for that unit type when the first (in this case the Indian) player starts his first turn. If he has more textures available for that unit type than you do, then if any of the extra textures are allocated, they won't be in your build and so the game won't be able to find them when it is your turn.

If it happens in both games, then your build is probably corrupt, as it is missing textures that it should have.

Are you using the STEAM or the Slitherine/Matrix version of the game?

If you are using the Slitherine/Matrix version then you should reinstall the latest version. If you are using STEAM you should perform a file check. (Right-click on Field of Glory 2 in your STEAM library, then click on Properties, Local Files, then Verify Integrity of Games files.
Richard Bodley Scott

blobka
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by blobka »

Thank you for the reply.

I have Steam version of the game, tried verification of the files integrity - to no avail. On the contrary my opponent's textures are present as can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/HZDQc1F

I started first on the Indian side. My opponent is yet to reply to my question considering the use of mods.

Regards,
blobka
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

This does suggest that he may have extra textures on his system. In the game where you played the first turn, as the Indians, textures would have been allocated to both sides’s units (including his cavalry) based on the textures available on your system - hence you can see the correct textures, because they are available on your system.

Question: In the other game, are all of his expert armoured horse archers showing the cyan missing texture appearance, or do some have proper textures? How many units of them does he have?
Richard Bodley Scott

blobka
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by blobka »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm This does suggest that he may have extra textures on his system. In the game where you played the first turn, as the Indians, textures would have been allocated to both sides’s units (including his cavalry) based on the textures available on your system - hence you can see the correct textures, because they are available on your system.

Question: In the other game, are all of his expert armoured horse archers showing the cyan missing texture appearance, or do some have proper textures? How many units of them does he have?
No, sir, the opponent's expert armoured horse archers have textures as supposed in the game where I play the Indians, the cyan missing textures appear only when it comes to the game where I play as Sassanid Persian and is the game I joined secondly.

Regards,
blobka
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

blobka wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:29 pm
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:34 pm This does suggest that he may have extra textures on his system. In the game where you played the first turn, as the Indians, textures would have been allocated to both sides’s units (including his cavalry) based on the textures available on your system - hence you can see the correct textures, because they are available on your system.

No, sir, the opponent's expert armoured horse archers have textures as supposed in the game where I play the Indians, the cyan missing textures appear only when it comes to the game where I play as Sassanid Persian and is the game I joined secondly.

Regards,
blobka
That is consistent with the theory that your opponent has added extra textures for that unit type to his system. The game automatically allocates textures to the individual units based on the number of variant textures available for that unit type when the units are first setup (i.e. on the first player's turn for both sides' units). Side A units are randomly allocated a texture from the first half of the available texture variants, Side B units from the second half of the available texture variants. The program records for each unit which folder it should take its texture from, so that it doesn't vary from turn to turn.

Normally, of course, with unmodded builds, both players have the same number of texture variants for each unit. (Whether or not they have unlocked any DLCs). However, if one player has added extra textures to their main build, the system won't work correctly.

In the game in which you played second, the unit textures would be set up using the data on his system. As the Sassanids are the second side, their textures would be allocated from the higher numbered half of the available textures (on his system). When you come to play your turn, the game attempts to allocate the unit textures using the same sub-folder reference. But as your (un-modded) build does not have any textures for that unit type in those higher numbered folders, the missing texture appearance occurs.

In the game in which you played first, the Sassanid textures would be allocated using the available textures in your (un-modded) build, so you won't get the missing texture appearance, because the referenced textures are present on your system.

The issue is almost certainly that his build has additional textures added. We have repeatedly advised players not to mod their main builds, particularly if they are going to play multiplayer, but we can't actually stop them from doing so against our advice. The game checks for mods to the scripts or squads file, and issues a warning if they don't match, but does not do so for textures as that would not affect gameplay, and would take much longer to check.

The game has a proper mod system which does not involve making any changes to the main build, and which prevents this sort of thing from happening. All officially sanctioned mods (including TT Mod and Silk Road) use the official mod system, so won't cause this issue. MP games using those mods can only be played if both players have those mods on their system, and the game then automatically uses the modded files in place of the vanilla ones. So when the proper mod system is used, texture mismatches such as you have experienced will not occur.

Please could you ask your opponent if he has added additional textures to his build? If so, the mystery is solved.
Richard Bodley Scott

blobka
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by blobka »

Thank you, this one is very sufficient analysis and I'm certain this is exactly the case. I did ask my opponent and didn't receive any answer so far.. .

Good news I'm the only one who has this issue :lol: but is only in theory as I can see, maybe more though, now we know exactly whom to blame for :lol:

Regards,
blobka
Mirek69
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Mirek69 »

What is your opponent's name? I will not play with him :D
My channel : www.youtube.com/user/Uszatek444/feed

Return to “Field of Glory II”