Streams

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Streams

Post by vakarr »

What is the effect of streams now? I've been told that all they do is provide a line of squares that are not counted as clear terrain, and they are not an obstacle. Is that correct?
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Streams

Post by MVP7 »

I'm pretty sure that's correct. It means some cavalry and heavy infantry specific bonuses and penalties are null and light infantry can charge non-light that are in the stream. Deep stream has movement penalty and disorders units on top of that.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

There are multiple types of streams. Some simply cost more AP to move across and count as not open, some cause disorder. Mouse over them with detailed tooltips enabled and the game will tell you.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

I thought that none caused disorder after the last update?
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

That is not true. The rules as to streams have not changed... I think ever.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

Ok the exact text from the patch notes is: "Light Foot can only charge non-light troops if the latter are in Rough or Difficult terrain. (They could previously charge them in non-Open terrain that was neither of these - e.g. small Streams)."

"Unless they are in Rough or Difficult terrain, or defending an obstacle, Light Foot will now always evade non-light troops."

So, why don't small streams count as an obstacle? It's now no use stationing light troops behind a stream. Oh, it's part of the war on light troops... I have a solution, the "No light troops" mod, I shall get cracking on it.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

vakarr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:42 am Ok the exact text from the patch notes is: "Light Foot can only charge non-light troops if the latter are in Rough or Difficult terrain. (They could previously charge them in non-Open terrain that was neither of these - e.g. small Streams)."

"Unless they are in Rough or Difficult terrain, or defending an obstacle, Light Foot will now always evade non-light troops."

So, why don't small streams count as an obstacle? It's now no use stationing light troops behind a stream. Oh, it's part of the war on light troops... I have a solution, the "No light troops" mod, I shall get cracking on it.
I have made a quick test scenario, to test the effects of all types of streams on Light Infantry;

Normal Small Stream

LI cannot charge non-lights.

Large Stream

LI can charge non-lights.

Large Stream counts as Rough Terrain so disorders mounted, elephants and heavy foot, severely disorders cataphracts, heavy chariots and scythed chariots.

Deep Stream

LI can charge non-lights.

Deep Stream counts as Difficult Terrain so severely disorders mounted, elephants and heavy foot, disorders others except light foot.

So you can definitely still use lights to defend large and deep streams. The change only affects the normal non disordering "small" streams.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

I keep confusing Large Stream and Deep Stream. Wouldn't it make sense to just call them Small Stream, Stream and Deep Stream?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MVP7 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:49 pm I keep confusing Large Stream and Deep Stream. Wouldn't it make sense to just call them Small Stream, Stream and Deep Stream?
Maybe, but really small streams would not even need to be shown on the map at all.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 pm
MVP7 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:49 pm I keep confusing Large Stream and Deep Stream. Wouldn't it make sense to just call them Small Stream, Stream and Deep Stream?
Maybe, but really small streams would not even need to be shown on the map at all.
True. I'm not that familiar with the English waterbody terminology but would 'small river' make sense if the stream types were 'stream', 'large stream' and 'small river'?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MVP7 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:51 pm
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 pm
True. I'm not that familiar with the English waterbody terminology but would 'small river' make sense if the stream types were 'stream', 'large stream' and 'small river'?
Maybe, but some people would find that confusing, so I am inclined to leave it as it is.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”