Reducing Casualties in Field of Glory II?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
uneducated
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Reducing Casualties in Field of Glory II?

Post by uneducated »

If one wishes to chose victory with fewer casualties received at the expense of inflicting greater casualties, how can you achieve this?

For example, if your Raw Legionaries are not yet engaged in close combat with Veteran Legionaries but right in front of them, or even if they are engaged in combat with them, is it better to just skip your opportunity to attack?

Also, when there is a combat and yellow or red casualty figures appear, what do these numbers actually represent? It isn't deaths, is it?
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Re: Reducing Casualties in Field of Glory II?

Post by MVP7 »

Melees are always resolved once for each side's turn. You can't skip the melees and if you leave some unresolved they will be resolved automatically once you end turn. Yellow casualty numbers mean low or even casualties while red numbers mean heavy casualties. Heavy casualties can cause cohesion tests.

Best way to reduce casualties is to end every fight quickly which usually involves flanking. You should never willingly start or offer a melee unless the odds of the combat are heavily in your favor, or if you know you can get a flanking attack on the enemy in the near future, or you just really have to lock down the enemy unit as a part of larger strategy.
Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

MVP7 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:26 pm Yellow casualty numbers mean low or even casualties while red numbers mean heavy casualties. Heavy casualties can cause cohesion tests.

I don't understand. What's the difference between 14 yellow casualties and 14 red casualties?

I was looking earlier today and couldn't find any mention in the manual.

Mord.
lapdog666
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by lapdog666 »

Mord wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:07 am
MVP7 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:26 pm Yellow casualty numbers mean low or even casualties while red numbers mean heavy casualties. Heavy casualties can cause cohesion tests.

I don't understand. What's the difference between 14 yellow casualties and 14 red casualties?

I was looking earlier today and couldn't find any mention in the manual.

Mord.

are you mord from the battlefront forums? Combat mission

yellow means you either had a draw or won the combat phase , red means you lost the combat and cohesion check is being applied to the unit

when you lose a combat you ll always have more casualties , RED just highlights that
Mord

Post by Mord »

lapdog666 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 am
That'd be me.
lapdog666 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:48 amyellow means you either had a draw or won the combat phase , red means you lost the combat and cohesion check is being applied to the unit

when you lose a combat you ll always have more casualties , RED just highlights that
Cool. Thanks. I kinda got it, I think.

Mord.
MeerkatRabbit
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by MeerkatRabbit »

uneducated wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:54 am For example, if your Raw Legionaries are not yet engaged in close combat with Veteran Legionaries but right in front of them, or even if they are engaged in combat with them, is it better to just skip your opportunity to attack?
It depends on your overall strategy I think. If you're facing superior enemy impact/shock troops like Roman legionaries or Gallic warbands, sometimes you really don't want to let them charge you first. If you let them attack you and you survive impact, and then the enemy loses a round of combat at some point in the ensuing melee, then they might be able to break off and disengage, which can be very bad. If they disengage, they will be able to charge you again on the next turn, allowing them to get that huge impact bonus once again. This can often be enough to finish off your unit for good if it somehow survived that first impact.

If YOU are the one to initiate combat though, and you try to charge them first, then they can't pull back and disengage. If they lose a round of combat, they can be pushed backward, but they can't disengage entirely, which can end up reducing your casualties in the long run. This means it can sometimes be a good idea to counter-charge the enemy all along the line even with your weaker troops, before they can charge you first.
Mord

Post by Mord »

What's your screen name on BFC?

Mord.
lapdog666

Post by lapdog666 »

Mord wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:17 pm

What's your screen name on BFC?

Mord.

lapdog,lacroix , steveisdictator etc

but i m not so active anymore. Playing Fog2 and other games mostly now

Return to “Field of Glory II”