Tracks

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Tracks

Post by sIg3b »

They feature rather prominently on many maps. My question:
Do tracks and the trees lining them actually give a bonus to movement or defense to anything? Or are they just a distrack-tion? :)
Rodia
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Tracks

Post by Rodia »

Roads seem to be purely cosmetic. I've just made a test with LC and LI and they moved the same on road and without it.

And FOG2 manual only mentions roads in the context of the Scenario editor.
sIg3b wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 pm distrack-tion
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

They only really have an effect when they pass through woods or other non-open terrain. The track squares are treated as open terrain.
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 am They only really have an effect when they pass through woods or other non-open terrain. The track squares are treated as open terrain.
For movement only I hope? They do not negate any defensive benefits of terrain?

Could the alley trees in the open be made to stand out a little less? They tend to mislead me to think of the square as light woods.
SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

The entire square is considered open for both movement and combat.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

SpeedyCM wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 am The entire square is considered open for both movement and combat.
:shock:
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

SpeedyCM wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 am The entire square is considered open for both movement and combat.
Sure? This is a bit weird.

They seem to mostly run through open terrain, though. I actually can´t remember ever having seen a track run through marsh or woods.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

sIg3b wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pm

They seem to mostly run through open terrain, though. I actually can´t remember ever having seen a track run through marsh or woods.
I don't recall seeing them in marsh, but then marsh is quite rare. I see them in Woods all the time, and you sometimes get them in Rough or crossing Irrigation ditches.

I have a feeling that they only negate combat modifiers if the attack is across a square side that is also crossed by the track, but I might be wrong about that one, maybe I am thinking of another game.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul59 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:34 pm
sIg3b wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pm

I don't recall seeing them in marsh, but then marsh is quite rare. I see them in Woods all the time, and you sometimes get them in Rough or crossing Irrigation ditches.

I have a feeling that they only negate combat modifiers if the attack is across a square side that is also crossed by the track, but I might be wrong about that one, maybe I am thinking of another game.
It is just the way the engine works - the tracks negate the terrain effect completely. When you mouse over the square you will see that the tooltip reports "Tracks" rather than whatever else might be on the square.
Richard Bodley Scott

vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

Isn't it the case that tracks don't cause any terrain disadvantages but don't count as open terrain so cavalry in particular don't get their usual advantages for charging in open terrain if they cross a track?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

vakarr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 pm Isn't it the case that tracks don't cause any terrain disadvantages but don't count as open terrain so cavalry in particular don't get their usual advantages for charging in open terrain if they cross a track?
No, tracks are treated as Open
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

If that is so, I´d prefer getting rid of the tracks altogether. Imagine Varus being quite safe in the German woods as long as all his men are staying on tracks… :wink:
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

sIg3b wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:01 pm If that is so, I´d prefer getting rid of the tracks altogether. Imagine Varus being quite safe in the German woods as long as all his men are staying on tracks… :wink:
Even if the enemy attack from both flanks?
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Good point. Still believe HI should be disordered and LI be able to melee in woods, tracks or no tracks...
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

Wouldn't it make more sense for forest paths to be 'not open' rather than open?
melm

Post by melm »

Is ut possible to treat charge along the track as open, but orthogonal as not open?
Meditans ex luce mundi
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

melm wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:37 am Is ut possible to treat charge along the track as open, but orthogonal as not open?
It could probably be done, at the cost of some processing overhead, because the only way it could be done is to look at all the surrounding squares to see if they are woods.

However, we are currently not convinced there is a need.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7

Post by MVP7 »

Even when following a forest path I think it's pretty much as 'not-open' as it gets. Heavy infantry and cavalry that usually benefit from 'open' wouldn't be able to use their formations properly on some wagon trail flanked by trees while medium and light units wouldn't be inconvenienced so much.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

MVP7 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:13 pm Even when following a forest path I think it's pretty much as 'not-open' as it gets. Heavy infantry and cavalry that usually benefit from 'open' wouldn't be able to use their formations properly on some wagon trail flanked by trees while medium and light units wouldn't be inconvenienced so much.
+1
Froz
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Froz »

Assuming this is not going to be changed after all, perhaps changing the tooltip would be helpful. Currently it just says "Tracks." I would make it either "Tracks. Open ground." or "Open ground (Tracks).", similar to how stream and hill are presented.

On the other hand, I would agree that perhaps Non open would be better for tracks going through forests, because they indeed do not seem to be open.

Return to “Field of Glory II”