Unit Profiles for beginners: Offensive Spearman and Impact Foot

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Unit Profiles for beginners: Offensive Spearman and Impact Foot

Post by Lebo44 »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:02 pm Well, you could refer to the POA chart in the manual ;) But , swords count 100 poa versus non steady off spear, def spear and pike ( the manual does omit pike). Being disrupted is deemed non steady.
Thanks, so many exceptions in these POA calculations. I think I need to improve my tables and include steady/disordered cases as well.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Unit Profiles for beginners: Offensive Spearman and Impact Foot

Post by rbodleyscott »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:02 pm Well, you could refer to the POA chart in the manual ;) But , swords count 100 poa versus non steady off spear, def spear and pike ( the manual does omit pike).
That is because they get 100 POA vs pike even if the pike are steady.

This was necessary from a top-down point of view to get the overall balance in the pike vs legion matchup as we wanted it. If you want a bottom-up justification, the answer is that once they are past the points there isn't a whole lot a pikeman can do with his pike against them, whereas hoplites, with a shorter reach, would still be able to bring their spearheads to bear. However, as I have said before, the rules are a top-down design and in that design philosophy the overall effect is what matters, not how you get there.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”