Can't change the army's number(men) and add more deploy points in the custom battle and (custom)campaign mode

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Can't change the army's number(men) and add more deploy points in the custom battle and (custom)campaign mode

Post by Dux Limitis »

@rbodleyscott As the title said,in some epic battles and campaigns the deploy points and one unit's men are more than custom mode(I think it's also affect the quick battle mode).For example,in battle of Thapsus(epic battle),the player will have 3128 total deploy points when started,and one unit's roman legionaries have 1627 or more men(strength),but in the custom mode,one unit's roman legionaries only have 480 men,and the maximum deploy points in the custom mode only can be set to 2000,even I chose the force size to the v.largest,still can't change these things.
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Can't change the army's number(men) and add more deploy points in the custom battle and (custom)campaign mode

Post by Rosseau »

You can change the number of men by editing the Squads.csv in the Field of GloryII/Data folder. Of course make a backup, and also the dev does not recommend changing the original files. There is another way but I don't know it off-hand.

Easiest way to change deploy points is to use CheatEngine.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: Can't change the army's number(men) and add more deploy points in the custom battle and (custom)campaign mode

Post by jomni »

There is a force modifier line in campaign and scenario scripts to change the default number of men. That said, it’s just cosmetic and doesn’t change anything gameplay wise. I do not suggest changing the squads file since it affects everything.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

jomni wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:25 am There is a force modifier line in campaign and scenario scripts to change the default number of men. That said, it’s just cosmetic and doesn’t change anything gameplay wise. I do not suggest changing the squads file since it affects everything.
Too bad,I wanna see more units and men in the custom battle and campaign mode,that will makes battle more spectacular.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

There are technical reasons why the limit was set to 2000 points for custom battles. Allowing it to be increased further is on the wish list.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:03 am There are technical reasons why the limit was set to 2000 points for custom battles. Allowing it to be increased further is on the wish list.
And make unit's strength(men) can be adjustabled in custom battle and custom campaign mode in the future,please.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

@rbodleyscott I suggest when you will make players can adjustable their army's unit's (later supplement:I means the mechanical-to avoid others misunderstanding it to visual )strength(mechanical number) in two custom mode in the future ,you can refer to the total war,set an option named "unit size",which contain some minor option include small,medium,large,very large,each option corresponds to an unit's strength numbers,for instance,one unit's roman legionaries,small=480men,medium=980men,large=1500men,very large=2000men.
Last edited by Dux Limitis on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TimDee58 »

I fancy that Dux is talking about 'visual' strength rather than 'mechanical' strength mate
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Visual strength would be more challenging due to the engine. People created a mod with more men already. But I guess it hit maximum already.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

TimDee58 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:55 pm I fancy that Dux is talking about 'visual' strength rather than 'mechanical' strength mate
No,I'm saying the 'mechanical' strength,not visual.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

jomni wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:21 am Visual strength would be more challenging due to the engine. People created a mod with more men already. But I guess it hit maximum already.
No no no,not visual,I means the mechanical strength number,sorry.
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

in squads.csv file there are columns for both man count (the visual), total men (mechanical) and unit size (I'm guessing this is notional and I've tweaked mine to be the same as total men without problems)

Perhaps RBS can confirm (perhaps I've missed something?)

Check in 'Modding Forum' and 'Squads.csv' topic, its all in there (mostly lol) viewtopic.php?f=492&t=80096
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

It may be possible to put a scale slider when setting up a custom game. Because there is already a specific line for that in the scenario script. Let’s see what Richard has to say.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

TimDee58 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:19 am in squads.csv file there are columns for both man count (the visual), total men (mechanical) and unit size (I'm guessing this is notional and I've tweaked mine to be the same as total men without problems)

Perhaps RBS can confirm (perhaps I've missed something?)

Check in 'Modding Forum' and 'Squads.csv' topic, its all in there (mostly lol) viewtopic.php?f=492&t=80096
The "Unitsize" has a huge impact on the game, and you should not change it to be exactly the same as the total men. By doing so you have radically reduced the fighting power of your units, some more than others!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

care to enlighten Paul please? (the relationship between that variable and others and its impact on the games mechanics)

The impact that you've alluded to isn't a disaster for me because I'm working with 240 strong elements of heavy infantry
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

TimDee58 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:49 am care to enlighten Paul please? (the relationship between that variable and others and its impact on the games mechanics)

The impact that you've alluded to isn't a disaster for me because I'm working with 240 strong elements of heavy infantry
The game uses the UnitSize in all it's combat calculations, the TotalMen value is only used in the UI display.

It is the UnitSize that is the important value, for infantry (except Mobs) it should be 1.25 times the TotalMen value, for Mobs it is 0.73 times the TotalMen value, for cavalry it is 1.67 times the TotalMen value, for Elephants it is 20 times the TotalMen value, for Light Chariots it is 4 times the TotalMen value, for Heavy Chariots it is 2 times the TotalMen value, for Scythed Chariots it is 8 times the TotalMen value, for Artillery it is 2 times the TotalMen value.

So by changing the UnitSize to equal TotalMen you are increasing the fighting power of Mobs, and reducing the fighting power of everything else. You would also be reducing the power of cavalry and chariots etc by a much greater amount than infantry.

A 240 man strong infantry unit should have a UnitSize of 300 (see the Triarii).
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Great response, thanks thats very helpful to know
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul's answer is semi-correct.

However, even if you reduce the UnitSize in the correct ratio, you are still unbalancing the game, because units have a maximum effective UnitSize of 600, beyond which the extra do not contribute to shooting or close combat strength. This means that vanilla warbands and pikes do not "fight" with all of their men, because they are too far back in the formation. So if you reduce most infantry to UnitSize 300 and Warbands to 450, and pikes to 600, you will be drastically increasing the relative fighting power of the warbands and especially the pikes.

I strongly recommend leaving the UnitSize variable alone, and only using the values used in the vanilla game. You can reduce the TotalMen value without having any real impact on game balance as it is essentially cosmetic.

So, if you want to halve the size (in men) of all units in the game, by editing the squads file rather than editing scripts, you can set all of the TotalMen values to half their current value, but should leave the UnitSize values the same as in the vanilla game.

Of course if you are into modding scripts, there is a much simpler way of getting the same effect by replacing

SetUniversalVar("StrengthMultiplier", 100) ;

wherever it appears in the scripts with

SetUniversalVar("StrengthMultiplier", 50);

Once again, I should say that you should not mod the scripts or the squads files (or anything else) in your game build, you should only mod stuff in custom "campaign" folders.

http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index.php/Modding

Global Mods mainly are not the answer, as the global mod system is a late addition to the engine, with incomplete functionality - e.g. it does not allow modded version army lists and various other things.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm Paul's answer is semi-correct.

However, even if you reduce the UnitSize in the correct ratio, you are still unbalancing the game, because units have a maximum effective UnitSize of 600, beyond which the extra do not contribute to shooting or close combat strength. This means that vanilla warbands and pikes do not "fight" with all of their men, because they are too far back in the formation. So if you reduce most infantry to UnitSize 300 and Warbands to 450, and pikes to 600, you will be drastically increasing the relative fighting power of the warbands and especially the pikes.

I strongly recommend leaving the UnitSize variable alone, and only using the values used in the vanilla game. You can reduce the TotalMen value without having any real impact on game balance as it is essentially cosmetic.

So, if you want to halve the size (in men) of all units in the game, by editing the squads file rather than editing scripts, you can set all of the TotalMen values to half their current value, but should leave the UnitSize values the same as in the vanilla game.

Of course if you are into modding scripts, there is a much simpler way of getting the same effect by replacing

SetUniversalVar("StrengthMultiplier", 100) ;

wherever it appears in the scripts with

SetUniversalVar("StrengthMultiplier", 50);

Once again, I should say that you should not mod the scripts or the squads files (or anything else) in your game build, you should only mod stuff in custom "campaign" folders.

http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index.php/Modding

Global Mods mainly are not the answer, as the global mod system is a late addition to the engine, with incomplete functionality - e.g. it does not allow modded version army lists and various other things.
Seems....still because of technical reasons.......
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Thanks Richard for the further clarifications.

Return to “Field of Glory II”