Ancient Brits

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Ancient Brits

Post by AlexDetrojan »

In the original FOG 1, Ancient British Warbands were classified as Medium Foot-Impact. In FOG 2 they are now classified as Heavy Foot-Impact. I was wondering what came to light in reclassifying them to Heavy Foot? Just Curious.
Cheers
Alex
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Ancient Brits

Post by Ludendorf »

They're medium foot. Loose order warbands are classed as warriors, as opposed to undrilled heavy foot. They don't get disrupted by rough ground, they take a cohesion penalty when fighting in the open, and they don't get disrupted so badly moving through forest and marsh. So, functionally at least, they act like unwieldy medium impact foot in a deep formation.

...unless I missed something in a patch? I haven't played Ancient Brits lately.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Yes, they are definitely Medium Warbands. I don't know why you would think they were not?
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

So if I'm understanding you guys then, loose order warband are medium warband which equals medium foot? I know FOG 1 and FOG 2 are miles apart, but medium foot that were impact foot in FOG 1 were not necessarily classified as warband as far as I can tell( or am I wrong here developers?). Heavy foot that were impact foot COULD be classified as warband but not always, as in Roman Legions in the Principate era which were definately impact foot but NOT warband. As a different example Early Pictish warriors were medium foot with impact capabilities but I don't believe were labelled warband? You see my quandary? I suppose I'm missing something here because not all units that are labelled impact foot are warband. Sorry to be so obtuse and certainly not wanting to make a mountain out of a molehill, just trying to understand how medium foot that were not warband in one iteration of this game can become warband in the other iteration of this game. I thought maybe new information came up in research that led the developers to reclassify them.
Cheers
Alex
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

AlexDetrojan wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 am So if I'm understanding you guys then, loose order warband are medium warband which equals medium foot? I know FOG 1 and FOG 2 are miles apart, but medium foot that were impact foot in FOG 1 were not necessarily classified as warband as far as I can tell( or am I wrong here developers?). Heavy foot that were impact foot COULD be classified as warband but not always, as in Roman Legions in the Principate era which were definately impact foot but NOT warband. As a different example Early Pictish warriors were medium foot with impact capabilities but I don't believe were labelled warband? You see my quandary? I suppose I'm missing something here because not all units that are labelled impact foot are warband. Sorry to be so obtuse and certainly not wanting to make a mountain out of a molehill, just trying to understand how medium foot that were not warband in one iteration of this game can become warband in the other iteration of this game. I thought maybe new information came up in research that led the developers to reclassify them.
Cheers
Alex
Not sure what you are trying to say here. Warband is not a classification in FoG2, it's just the name of the unit. The classification of the loose warband is warriors/medium foot and their capabilities include impact foot.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

In FOG2 there are four units called Warbands:

Warband (Close Order), these are Average, Undrilled Heavy Foot
Superior Warband (Close Order), these are Superior, Undrilled Heavy Foot
Warband (Loose Order), these are Average, Warriors
Picked Warband (Loose Order), these are Superior, Warriors

Warriors have many of the same attributes as Medium Foot, but are also counted as unmaneuverable. As MVP7 says, Warband is just a unit name.

All the above are also Impact Foot. Impact Foot is a Combat Capability. There are many unit types in FOG2 that have Impact foot capability and are not Warbands: Roman Legionaries (Heavy Foot), Spanish Scutarii (Medium Foot) etc.

The Ancient Brits use the two Loose Order Warbands.

I have never played or owned FOG1, so cannot comment on the classifications in that game. Maybe things were slightly different in FOG1, and that has confused you?
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Yep, got it now Paul59, makes sense. Sorry for being so obtuse!
Searry
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Searry »

Can British charioteers dismount now? I remember asking about this before release.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Searry wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:10 pm Can British charioteers dismount now? I remember asking about this before release.
Not explicitly. They wouldn't make a very large or effective foot unit if they did - there are only 100 men in the unit, and half of those are the drivers, who did not dismount.

So if they dismounted they would make a unit of 50 infantry, which would be a tenth of the size of a normal infantry unit, represented by a single model figure, and would simply be rolled over by any normal unit.

Instead, their normal chariot close combat ability is assumed to be a package including dismounting when required.
Richard Bodley Scott

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

I like the Ancient Brits.
A campaign Brits vs Romans would be fun or a British invasion of Gaul. Actually that was the first sandbox campaign I tried and I got whipped.

Return to “Field of Glory II”