Changing the names.

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Changing the names.

Post by AlexDetrojan »

I would like to change the names of all the units in the armies(yes, a huge task, I know) to better reflect each army and get a more 'flavorful' immersion as I'm playing, as opposed to having generic vanilla units.(ie: horse archers or noble lancers or warband, could become as an example: Hunnic Steppe horse archers or Ostrogothic Lancers or Foederati Warband...) You get the idea.
So what I wish to know(maybe from RBS or Pip) is how/what do I need to change to accomplish this? Also when I change it(txt?) will it be displayed in my game when I play? And lastly will it impact multiplayer games negatively?
I realize everyone in Slitherine is quite busy, so answers may not be coming forthrightly. Anyways, much appreciated.
Cheers
Alex
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Changing the names.

Post by Paul59 »

Well, my TT Mod already does that to a certain extent:

viewtopic.php?f=477&t=87260

I have not gone to the extreme of renaming every conceivable combination of unit and army, but a lot of the more important unit types have been given distinctive textures and/or changed models, and I have renamed them in the process.

If you did want to rename every combination of unit and army it would be a huge amount of work, although it would only involve editing three files; the Squads.csv, a text file to add the new names, and the ArmyList.txt. But it would be a huge project, and you would probably exceed the maximum size of the Squads.csv file!

The end result could not be used in MP, unless of course your opponent had exactly the same mod.

Much better to try the TT Mod, BTW a new version of it will be posted soon!
Last edited by Paul59 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul59 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:37 pm But it would be a huge project, and you would probably exceed the maximum size of the Squads.csv file!
As Paul says, you would need a Squads.csv file line for each and every differently named unit.

The maximum number of units permitted in the Squads.csv file (as far as I know) is 1028.

Once all of the DLCs are done, the base game will probably use more than half of this limit.

This is of course why the game uses more generic names, except in preset scenarios, where the Editor allows units to be given individual names, and also campaigns, where the player can rename the units himself.
Richard Bodley Scott

AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Thank you both for your input. Was wondering why the game had more generic names...now I know. So Paul59, does your TT mod include the DLC's Belisarius and rise of Persia?
Cheers
Alex
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

AlexDetrojan wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:59 pm Thank you both for your input. Was wondering why the game had more generic names...now I know. So Paul59, does your TT mod include the DLC's Belisarius and rise of Persia?
Cheers
Alex
It includes Age of Belisarius, but not Rise of Persia, that DLC has only just come out.

The next update of the TT Mod will include Rise of Persia, all of the new armies will get new textures, names etc. The new update should be ready in a few weeks, I would not want to release it too soon after the DLC in any case.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Paul59, quick question. I downloaded your TT mod, but how do I know I am using your mod when I fire up my game?
EDIT: never mind, figured it out. :idea:

Return to “Field of Glory II”