Rise of Persia will come with a free update (Praetorian Guard and Peltasts incoming)

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Rise of Persia will come with a free update (Praetorian Guard and Peltasts incoming)

Post by Daniele »

Rise of Persia – the upcoming DLC for Field of Glory II – won’t just feature a tremendous collection of Army Lists from the factions of the period. As always, the DLC’s release will come with a free update improving many elements of the entire franchise, ranging from gameplay mechanics to AI behaviour.

But this time, the update is way juicier than ever. Some of you have asked about the lack of any direct reference to Praetorian Guard units and Peltasts in any Army Lists available. Well, your requests have been answered.

Rise of Persia will add - to the regular game and the other DLCs as well – units like the Praetorian Guard, Praetorian Guard (Late), Greek Peltasts, Thracian Peltasts, Massed Thracian Peltasts, Thracian Spearmen, and several other new units for free! These new units are part of a major army list overhaul affecting Greek, Thracian, 1st-3rd century AD Roman, Sassanid, Parthian, Indo-Parthian, Kushan and Byzantine army lists.

Kudos to the developer for this great work!

Look at the screenshots below!

Get more information about Rise of Persia from its official product page

Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Rise of Persia will come with a free update (Praetorian Guard and Peltasts incoming)

Post by Barrold713 »

These look great. I look forward to losing with them.
Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Rise of Persia will come with a free update (Praetorian Guard and Peltasts incoming)

Post by Dux Limitis »

For what I think is you can bring the tarentine light horseman in this update too,just use the greek peltasts' model with horses,and I hope in the future I can see the roman legionaries(late)(you're already made the praetorian guard (Late) right?) and roman ballistarii be bring into the game,carry on then,and thanks for your hard work.
Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

Wonderful new models, really!!
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

"....major army list overhaul affecting Greek, Thracian, 1st-3rd century AD Roman, Sassanid, Parthian, Indo-Parthian, Kushan and Byzantine army lists.",wait,you means the greek peltasts will not add to the army lists of the Successor Kingdoms?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Dux Limitis wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:31 pm "....major army list overhaul affecting Greek, Thracian, 1st-3rd century AD Roman, Sassanid, Parthian, Indo-Parthian, Kushan and Byzantine army lists.",wait,you means the greek peltasts will not add to the army lists of the Successor Kingdoms?
We were in two minds whether to do this, because traditional peltasts with the crescent shaped pelta were largely obsolete by the Successor period. Mercenary troops largely converted to the thureophoroi style of equipment, and although these could sometimes operate as Euzonoi light infantry (equivalent to the former peltasts), they would be equipped with thureos rather than pelta. The troops known as “peltasts” in Macedonian armies of the Antigonid dynasty are generally believed to have been pikemen rather than traditional peltasts, as demonstrated by their role as part of the main battle line.

We do not currently have specific Euzonoi models, so we were in two minds whether to use the Greek peltast models, which would be functionally identical but visually historically incorrect for Euzonoi. We may add them to the Successor armies in a future patch, or we may add specific Euzonoi models with thureos.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Lysimachos wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:03 am Wonderful new models, really!!
And you can find some of them in the revised Lysimachid list.
Richard Bodley Scott

Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

Nice! Excited for this update.
Image Image
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:29 pm
Dux Limitis wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:31 pm "....major army list overhaul affecting Greek, Thracian, 1st-3rd century AD Roman, Sassanid, Parthian, Indo-Parthian, Kushan and Byzantine army lists.",wait,you means the greek peltasts will not add to the army lists of the Successor Kingdoms?
We were in two minds whether to do this, because traditional peltasts with the crescent shaped pelta were largely obsolete by the Successor period. Mercenary troops largely converted to the thureophoroi style of equipment, and although these could sometimes operate as Euzonoi light infantry (equivalent to the former peltasts), they would be equipped with thureos rather than pelta. The troops known as “peltasts” in Macedonian armies of the Antigonid dynasty are generally believed to have been pikemen rather than traditional peltasts, as demonstrated by their role as part of the main battle line.

We do not currently have specific Euzonoi models, so we were in two minds whether to use the Greek peltast models, which would be functionally identical but visually historically incorrect for Euzonoi. We may add them to the Successor armies in a future patch, or we may add specific Euzonoi models with thureos.
thanks
canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by canuckgamer »

I saw this about the free update.

Rise of Persia – the upcoming DLC for Field of Glory II – won’t just feature a tremendous collection of Army Lists from the factions of the period. As always, the DLC’s release will come with a free update improving many elements of the entire franchise, ranging from gameplay mechanics to AI behaviour.

I will eventually purchase Rise of Persia but since I have not yet played all the scenarios and campaigns from Legions Triumphant and Immortal Fire, I am wondering about the change in gameplay mechanics, and AI behaviour. Will I be able to play someone who has the update PBEM? To me it really isn't a free update because you have to buy Rise of Persia.
TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TimDee58 »

Will there be a dipylon shield for (very) early (proto) Hoplites circa 700-650 bc?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

canuckgamer wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:43 am I will eventually purchase Rise of Persia but since I have not yet played all the scenarios and campaigns from Legions Triumphant and Immortal Fire, I am wondering about the change in gameplay mechanics, and AI behaviour. Will I be able to play someone who has the update PBEM? To me it really isn't a free update because you have to buy Rise of Persia.
It really is a free update, because you don't have to buy Rise of Persia to get it, we just release such updates at the same time as the DLC for logistical reasons.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:18 am Will there be a dipylon shield for (very) early (proto) Hoplites circa 700-650 bc?
No. The Rise of Persia DLC is primarily aimed at events in the "fertile crescent". The existing Greek list covers the entire period from 680-461 BC. Having separate models (and lists) for those 30 years from 680-650 BC (and all similar variations of appearance applying to other troops over the whole of Europe and western/south Asia) is a little beyond our budget.

Of course we would love to have every variation in appearance that occurred across this huge era and geographical expanse, but then we would go bust and there would be no more game.
Richard Bodley Scott

TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

okidoki, as long as people appreciate that modders work within those constraints thats cool
canuckgamer

Post by canuckgamer »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:16 am
canuckgamer wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:43 am I will eventually purchase Rise of Persia but since I have not yet played all the scenarios and campaigns from Legions Triumphant and Immortal Fire, I am wondering about the change in gameplay mechanics, and AI behaviour. Will I be able to play someone who has the update PBEM? To me it really isn't a free update because you have to buy Rise of Persia.
It really is a free update, because you don't have to buy Rise of Persia to get it, we just release such updates at the same time as the DLC for logistical reasons.
Sorry my mistake, I misunderstood. In my case the update when I start the game on the 27th or later whereas my friend who has the Steam version will be update automatically. Thank you for the prompt reply.
NardsSteph
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by NardsSteph »

Sounds good really exiting for the update can't wait :wink:

Return to “Field of Glory II”