Fantasy game

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Wodin
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Fantasy game

Post by Wodin »

I'd love to see a fantasy game using this engine.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: Fantasy game

Post by jomni »

I toyed with the idea of doing a mod but... I needed 3D models. So I shelved it.
Adraeth
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adraeth »

Agree, it would be an excellent game
Gwydion2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Gwydion2 »

I've done a few fantasy battles using this engine. 3D models for orks, dwarves etc would be great, but you can work around it if you don't need it to be that perfect visually.

For instance, making goblin units, I increased the number of men without altering unit strength and used resized existing models, to represent lots of weak soldiers making up for it with numbers.
For giants, modify an elephant unit to use a single large human figure.
Magic can be done by adding limited light artillery capability (20% is a good start) to the unit the wizard is attached too.

Obviously you can't get troops to fly over enemy soldiers, but you can always increase mobility by playing with movement points.
Similarly, dwarves could be given an armour bonus and slightly reduced movement.
Elves could be given 150% bow capability etc
Pixel

Post by Pixel »

Check out Hell. Older engine version but similar (the one Battle Academy was made on). http://www.slitherine.com/products/prod ... atformID=1

Deal on it and and bunch of other older back catalog slitherine titles here (8 days left as of the date of this post): https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/sli ... e-reloaded

Also perhaps Wesnoth might scratch this itch too although somewhat different in style, not in this engine, and hex based: https://www.wesnoth.org/
Image Image
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

I have Hell, and yes the units were excellent; in addition, and i beg your pardon for i have no knolewdge in modding, some sanctus reach model might be used for a fantasy, for istance orcs, or snortlings for goblins
Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii »

The question is how many magic game can support before enter in the "magic kills tactical fun" terrain... i think in a mix of FOGII+Sanctus Reach "abilities" but with limitations to avoid kill the pure combat part, for me when magic enter in wargames usually finish playing a "cheating role" when made you or enemy skip a shit tactical decision with the power of magic.

Other point is the ambientation... Fantasy is relative open and not allways fantasy means magic...

Of course is possible do something generic like orcs VS human empire VS elfs VS undead VS barbarians (+ variants in every faction with orientation to certain combat units - magic style) but i think use something with a NAME is maybe a better option to attract new players/customers, here Game of Thrones (better use this and not the true name of books serie... you know TV guys need easy plots :mrgreen: ) is a good start because is well know, lacks a proper battle game (in general lacks a proper games) and is going to have limited magic (only 1 faction enter in this area and could work like undead faction... dragons for me are a mix of elephants+flam unit)... in general could be a medieval FOGII.... if we see someday FOGII become medieval.

But now i doubt we can see a fantasy version in the moment medieval FOGII looks very far in time...

Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

When thinking about FOG2 fantasy i often think about Hordes of the Things DBA system or Warmaster from GW where magic is present but it is often a push an enemy away, for istance casting "fear" or maybe you might cast something that disprut the enemy or fragment it; so something "in" the game and more "in the mood" of a wargame
Philotomy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Philotomy »

If you go back to something like Chainmail (the miniature rules that spawned D&D), the fantasy elements basically modified the existing rules in different ways.

Different kinds of fantasy units are pretty straightforward: give them different types, capabilities, and modifiers on cohesion tests. Non-humanoid or very large monster units can be a little trickier, but still fall within that concept (maybe using elephants as a starting point).

The real trick is stuff like wizards. In Chainmail, wizard spells did stuff like this:
  • Phantasmal Forces: create an illusionary unit
  • Darkness/Light: change the illumination in an area
  • Detection: find hidden units/magical effects
  • Concealment: hide units
  • Conjure Elemental: conjure a powerful unit
  • Moving Terrain: shift terrain around
  • Protection from Evil: prevent certain units from entering an area
  • Levitate: lift the wizard off the ground (no close combat)
  • Slowness: half the speed of a unit
  • Haste: double the speed of a unit
  • Polymorph: change the wizard into a different unit type (e.g., a giant)
  • Confusion: cause a unit to react to orders in an opposite manner
  • Hallucinatory Terrain: create the illusion of terrain (until contacted by a unit)
  • Cloudkill: create a poisonous cloud in an area
  • Anti-Magic Shell: Create a protective bubble around the wizard which cancels all magic (entering or leaving) the bubble
Wizards also had two kinds of missile attack: fire balls and lightning bolts. A fire ball is treated as a catapult. A lightning bolt is treated as a heavy field gun (i.e. cannon).

In FoG, a wizard would probably be treated like a commander for purposes of keeping track of him and killing him.
MasterChief81
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MasterChief81 »

I would pay good money for this!! Most fantasy worlds I'm aware of have more of a medieval flavor vice ancients, but I'm hoping FOG2 goes medieval soon!
lk2500
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by lk2500 »

If anybody is counting, I'd pay money for a Fantasy mod as well!
Scutarii

Post by Scutarii »

Other option could be a WH game... they are now selling licenses to do videogames... Slitherine has a pair of licenses but from WH40k... i think FOG2 is a very solid game and is really a lot over other WH universe titles, could be a great pure battle title, of course only grab the ambientation to use the units from WH universe and be base FOG2 with some magic to made it more fantasy.

Return to “Field of Glory II”