Impact Phase and Armour

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Impact Phase and Armour

Post by Kabill »

I'm wondering what the reason is for armour providing no bonus in the impact phase of melee. Substantively, I don't think it matters (and the units are costed around it anyway), but it's not something I find intuitive (and something I've overlooked in the past, e.g. cataphracts being much less good on the charge than I expected them to be) so I'm interested to know what's underpinning it.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
shawkhan2
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Impact Phase and Armour

Post by shawkhan2 »

Armor is heavy, slows you down, lessens impact as energy generated is reduced?
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

Armour doesn't slow you down as much as you might think. People in plate armour can do gymnastics and have a good range of movement. What armour probably does do is tire you out, forcing you to be more conservative with your movements. Heavily armoured infantry would have to maintain a slower rate of movement compared to equally fit lightly armoured infantry in order to not exhaust themselves before the main clash.

That's not to say soldiers and especially cavalry are incapable of bursts of speed. They just can't maintain it for as long.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I wouldn’t look for any for concrete reasons in terms of “ simulation”, more likely a mechanic from the tabletop to streamline/balance combat. My own spin is it could imply impact is mostly psychological “shock”. IMHO it should matter( could make a nice mod)
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

TheGrayMouser wrote:I wouldn’t look for any for concrete reasons in terms of “ simulation”, more likely a mechanic from the tabletop to streamline/balance combat. My own spin is it could imply impact is mostly psychological “shock”. IMHO it should matter( could make a nice mod)
That was kind of the thrust of my question. I can see it as a balance decision, in the same way that armour generally feels like it is less impactful than I would expect, presumably to avoid compounding the advantage of elite units which will also tend to be more heavily armoured. But given Richard's commitment to historical accuracy, I was wondering whether there was a simulation-based rationale as well/instead.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by edb1815 »

The Grey Mouser has it. The Impact phase is more of the psychological part of the charge and less about coming to direct blows where armor would matter or rather have a more significant impact. At least that is my understanding from the TT game. The melee phase is where the armor matters enough to create an advantage, i.e.; Greeks vs. Persians.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

edb1815 wrote:The Grey Mouser has it. The Impact phase is more of the psychological part of the charge and less about coming to direct blows where armor would matter or rather have a more significant impact. At least that is my understanding from the TT game. The melee phase is where the armor matters enough to create an advantage, i.e.; Greeks vs. Persians.
That is more or less the thinking behind the design decision, which harks back to the tabletop game.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”