Tides of Conquest campaign tool - new version with Bronze Age scenarios and icons out April 21 2023

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Tides of Conquest campaign tool - new version with Bronze Age scenarios and icons out April 21 2023

Post by Nijis »

900CEScreenshotSmall.png
900CEScreenshotSmall.png (331.38 KiB) Viewed 8716 times
What's this?
A unofficial stand-alone tool that can be used for single-player campaigns. Plan your campaigns here, fight battles in FoG2, enter the results here, and follow the progress of your realm through history. There are 11 starting setups from 1500 BC through to 1500 CE, the entire period covered by FoG2 and its DLCs. The map covers Europe, northern Africa and Asia. Playing in the Far East will require the Silk Road mod.

Download link:
LATEST VERSION
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q88bpy1aem8z ... 2.rar?dl=0
(Link moved to Dropbox from Mediafire on 5.25.2023)

I plan to run two new multiplayer campaigns using this tool. Sign up here if interested...
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111935

Thanks to Miguel Sales for the new icons!

Features include
* A relatively realistic ebb and flow of power that will yield believable alternate histories. Even the biggest empires will crash eventually, urban civilization will slowly spread outward from its cradles into more peripheral regions, etc..
* FoG2 army lists assigned dynamically according to a realm's culture, the time period, social organization, and its location
* In addition to realm vs realm conflict, fight battles triggered by religious upheaval to social unrest to nomad migrations
* Players can fight FoG2 battles at their preferred level of difficulty, with low levels representing cautious campaigns and high levels represent Alexander- or Caesar-style high stakes gambles.
* A broad range of institutions that differentiate realms from one another. You can borrow ideas from your neighbors and spread them to the successor states that follow after you.

1.02x includes...
* Bronze Age and 1400 CE scenarios for Swifter than Eagles and Sublime Porte/Rise of the Swiss
* New icons showing provinces' religions and social organization

Installation instructions for the Unity version
The tool comes in a WinRar archive. You'll need some version of WinRar. First you extract the file into a folder, which is a WinRar option if you right-click on the package.
When you open it, click on the TidesOfConquestUnity icon with the Unity symbol.
The game was written and was tested on 64-bit Windows 10.

There is a "Help" link at the top-right corner of the page which gives advice on basic game concepts.

A number of issues related to bugs encountered while installing it are on page 5 and 6 of this thread, and also page 13. These apply to the older Monogame version, and not the new Unity version.

CREDIT: Province sprites were made by Miguel Sales and myself, modifying icons found at https://game-icons.net/ and https://thenounproject.com/.
Attachments
900CEScreenshotSmall.png
900CEScreenshotSmall.png (331.38 KiB) Viewed 8721 times
Last edited by Nijis on Thu May 25, 2023 9:05 am, edited 57 times in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Tides of Conquest: An FoG Multiplayer Campaign Tool

Post by rbodleyscott »

I tried but was unable to get it to do anything.

All I got was the screen below. Clicking on the two items in the top left did nothing. Clicking on Save crashed it..

Maybe some more detailed instructions would overcome the hurdle. Or maybe some run-time library which I do not have is required.
Attachments
Screenshot (17).jpg
Screenshot (17).jpg (70.45 KiB) Viewed 22742 times
Richard Bodley Scott

Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

My apologies. I suspect it's that you need to click very close to the beginning of the text in the link. If a link is active the text should turn purple. I'll redo with bigger links, and also expand the instructions a bit.

The programming is all very simple stuff and I've tried it on a computer that does not have Monogame installed. so I don't think there would be any runtime library issues. But if clicking close to the beginning of the link doesn't work, I'd welcome any suggestions from anyone on what else could be wrong.
Last edited by Nijis on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Nijis wrote:I suspect it's that you need to click very close to the beginning of the text in the link.
Knowing that makes all the difference!

Now all I have to figure out is how to enter orders.
Richard Bodley Scott

Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

Seems really very, very interesting!!! :mrgreen:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Thanks!

For most orders, left-click on a province with an army, then right-click on the target. You can also give province orders, listed down on the right. I will make the instructions more detailed and also include them in a separate text document.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Any plans for a map editor?
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

I'm hoping to add one fairly soon. In the meantime, if you have a version of Visual Studio and can download Monogame, I can send you the C# solution and you could do a scenario that way. One could also start a game, save it, and edit the xml files. To start that scenario you'd just load the edited saved game. Did you have a particular scenario in mind? I'm hoping to add your Silk Road powers to a pan-Eurasian mega-scenario, maybe set around 250 BC to catch the end of the Warring States.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Nijis wrote:
I'm hoping to add one fairly soon. In the meantime, if you have a version of Visual Studio and can download Monogame, I can send you the C# solution and you could do a scenario that way. One could also start a game, save it, and edit the xml files. To start that scenario you'd just load the edited saved game. Did you have a particular scenario in mind? I'm hoping to add your Silk Road powers to a pan-Eurasian mega-scenario, maybe set around 250 BC to catch the end of the Warring States.
Not really planning to do one myself at the moment. But the idea of extending to China is cool.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

This is very cool :)

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Archaeologist1970
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Archaeologist1970 »

I think on one hand its awesome, on the other hand, I'd be pretty embarrassed as the developer that a lone dude with no resources pretty much made a single player campaign for you. Just saying, maybe offer this guy a job and see what he can do getting paid....
mceochaidh
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by mceochaidh »

This is outstanding. It does so much more than I am able to do manually in my Hellenistic Campaign 280 B.C. I will download and try to learn to use it.

Mac
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

This looks really exciting, Nijis.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Thanks for the kind words, all! The single player campaign is still very much a work in progress, though, as there's no AI yet, let alone one that has been extensively playtested.

The way I was thinking of going with the single-player: as you gain legacy points, your empire loses its political cohesion, Ibn Khaldoun's asabiya. Your rulers become worse and worse, swayed this way and that by factionalized petty court politics, and consequently the difficulty rating of your battles becomes higher and higher (or at least the suggested difficulty - you start your own battles so players can adjust as they see fit.) You start off as an Alexander or Caesar, sweeping all before you, and end up as Stilicho or Yue Fei, scrambling to hold things together for as long as possible with fewer and fewer resources. Random events could add a bit of narrative drama to the decline.
Last edited by Nijis on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

From my limited knowledge of game design, it might be best to playtest something small and basic; just the pieces on the board. I remember this from a free game design course which admittedly I did not complete, and there are way more experienced people here (you know; actual game designers) who can run roughshod over what I'm saying if I'm wrong, but one of the principles of game design is to come up with a core mechanic and then slowly add or subtract rules from it depending on how the mechanic works out.

As empires grow up, I imagine coalitions of players will band together to keep the large empire in check. Just as the Roman empire had threats on every border towards the end, big players are likely going to find their resources stretched thin as everybody tries to take them down. It's only when a player's position becomes truly overwhelming that I see this breaking down, and by that point, that player has probably conclusively won the campaign anyway.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Thanks for the feedback - the multiplayer basically just is pieces on the board. I was counting on peripheral players to keep the big empires busy.

The imperial decay system described above would be for single-player games, where I can't count on the AI to cooperate against a player. Ancient empires did have a tendency to collapse rather quickly, though, the Byzantines being a relatively rare example of a regional hegemon power being reduced to a regional peer power.

So, given that there already is a variable difficulty system in single-player FoG, I thought I'd take advantage of that. Sometimes when I play single-player it feels that I'm choosing whether I win or lose when I select the difficulty rating. I was thinking I might actually welcome another party telling me when I should play at a hard level, or when I should give myself a break by playing at a lower level.

I want just enough complexity in the multiplayer game to model most of the major map-altering political and military events of the ancient world in some way. One of the best parts of multiplayer campaigns I think are the AARs, and one of the things that make AARs interesting are narrative turning points. So it would be fun, for example, to have a major migration of tribes spark a crisis from time to time. That means I need a few basic mechanisms for migrations, and civil wars, and a couple of other things.

However, sometimes it's fun between turns to look over your position at leisure, to tweak things here and there. So I might add a layer of chrome that has very subtle effects on small things - ie, regional decisions that add extra units to a custom army list, for example, assuming that custom lists can be handled easily.

The one pitfall is that I want battles to always be at least as competitive as a potluck custom battle. Ie, the point of the game is to put competitive FoG battles into an interesting narrative context, not to make people play FoG battles that were decided beforehand on the strategic map, because I don't think players will do that.
SteveD64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by SteveD64 »

Thank you for this. I agree with your design philosophy as well, I hope you stick with this.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It would not be outside the realms of possibility to allow some way to spawn the FoG2 EXE with a command line to start up battles. Obviously we would need to determine what is needed to kick off a game, and the level of customisation required, i.e. specific unit selections vs potluck etc.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

That's great to hear!

Right now, the battles are generated when the orders are in and the GM hits the button, "Process orders." The way I envisioned things for the time being would be that the game would tell the players what battlefield type to use and what lists to use. The players would then select their own units, as though playing a custom game.

In the case of a solitaire campaign, the tool (ToC) would also set the difficulty level for battles. (I'm currently envisioning a Stilicho solo scenario, where the more success you have, the fewer resources the emperor will grant you.) This is not essential, though.

Customized lists is set for a bit in the future.
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

I tried to have a go with this very interesting tool but I have to say I was nearly able to do nothing because it's quite impossible to have the pointer rightly clicking on the province or the orders I wanted to select.

It's a real pity because the idea is great and seems very well developed ...
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)

Return to “Field of Glory II”