Late Roman Plumbata

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Late Roman Plumbata

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Developers, what happened to plumbata equipped late Roman troops? Not to be found in this iteration of FOG? Fog 1 as I recall had them, why their absence now? Feels like I'm not even playing with late Roman troops without this feature. In FOG 1 they had a one hex range and a +1 firing combat modifier I believe. Would like to see this possibly in your next update?
Cheers
Alex
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Late Roman Plumbata

Post by rbodleyscott »

The plumbata are the Darts with which Legio Palatina, Auxilia Palatina and Legio Comitatenses are equipped in FOG2. They are not treated as long distance shooting weapons on the premise that they are being saved to repel an enemy charge, when they grant an extra +100 POA on top of the +100 POA for light spear.

I am surprised to hear that FOG1 had them, as it was very closely based on the tabletop rules, which didn't have them as a separate capability at all, shooting or close combat. Are you sure you aren't thinking of something else?
Richard Bodley Scott

AlexDetrojan

Post by AlexDetrojan »

Hi Richard, yes I just fired up a game of FOG 1, and indeed the Legio and Auxilia have shooting capabilities(am assuming plumbata) one hex distance with a less than 25% disruption level chance. Obviously I play them differently in FOG 1 than in FOG 2. ;)
Cheers
Alex
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

AlexDetrojan wrote:Hi Richard, yes I just fired up a game of FOG 1, and indeed the Legio and Auxilia have shooting capabilities(am assuming plumbata) one hex distance with a less than 25% disruption level chance. Obviously I play them differently in FOG 1 than in FOG 2. ;)
I was not aware of that. The tabletop version did not have them (partly because they made Late Roman infantry ridiculously overpowered in earlier tabletop wargaming rules) but just treated them as part of the impact foot capability.

As FOG2 is based on the tabletop rules and not on FOG1, although we have added them (to better reflect the character of late Roman units by having light spear + darts, instead of impact foot capability) we have added them in a different way from the way they were added in FOG1.
Richard Bodley Scott

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

AlexDetrojan wrote:Hi Richard, yes I just fired up a game of FOG 1, and indeed the Legio and Auxilia have shooting capabilities(am assuming plumbata) one hex distance with a less than 25% disruption level chance. Obviously I play them differently in FOG 1 than in FOG 2. ;)
Cheers
Alex

They were not plumbata but light foot bow support. They gave 2 xtra impact dice if charged by cavalry from the front arc. The shooting I beveive was only two dice, and since you needed three hits in FOG1 to force a cohesion test, they could never cause cohesion loss ( and missle attacks did not cumulatively accrue for such purposes in FOG1.)

interesting though some of the 4th century lists allowed both impact or light spear... apparently hedging their bets.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TheGrayMouser wrote:interesting though some of the 4th century lists allowed both impact or light spear... apparently hedging their bets.
We decided not to do this. Impact Foot + Darts would be a monster.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”