Magnificent DLC

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Magnificent DLC

Post by vaalen »

I am really enjoying Legions Triumphant. Historically valid, fun to play, beautiful to see. Smooth, almost instinctive system, very exciting battles. This DLC explores new ares of conflict, like using the Huns, and I get very immersed in the battles, which the excellent AI always makes challenging, but not impossible.

Ut us trtkt unnersubg ti analyse the terrain, and decide where to fight the battle in a way that will help your army the best. Alll kinds of stategems and tactics can work, though you have to be disciplined to use them to advantage.

The irregular foot have been greatly improved, and have theri advantages, especially when used in rough terrain. The patch that accompanied the DLC has made many other improbements to an already great game.

I am running out of words to describe how much I like, appreciate, and thoroughly enjoy this series. I hope to see DLC's expand it through the Dark ages, the middle ages, and beyond.

Thank you, Richard and team. You have created something truly remarkable, and you have my gratitude and respect.

All the best,

Vaalen
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Magnificent DLC

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thanks for your kind words. We are glad you enjoy it.
Richard Bodley Scott

clive bradbury
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by clive bradbury »

Has any consideration been made to travelling in the opposite direction? I for one would love to see Sumeria, Assyria, Babylon and Egypt in this fantastic game!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

clive bradbury wrote:Has any consideration been made to travelling in the opposite direction? I for one would love to see Sumeria, Assyria, Babylon and Egypt in this fantastic game!
Yes.
Richard Bodley Scott

Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

rbodleyscott wrote:
clive bradbury wrote:Has any consideration been made to travelling in the opposite direction? I for one would love to see Sumeria, Assyria, Babylon and Egypt in this fantastic game!
Yes.
While the new DLC is really great, Swifter than Eagles would be fantastic.

Apart from this, after being sceptic at first, I regard FoG2 as the game to end all games (at least for me :wink:).

IC XC
NI KA
clive bradbury

Post by clive bradbury »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Yes.
That is brilliant news. Can I just take the chance to say how grateful I am for this game. I love the fact that it pays almost as much homage to table wargaming as it does to history. No more painting, trying to lean over a table with a bad back, and the rest of the family losing the sitting room for three hours! It's the ultimate in nostagia for me without the back pain!

Thanks to everyone involved.
vaalen
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by vaalen »

I have also found this game to be a much better way of enjoying ancient battles than my favorite board game series, the Great Battles of History from GMT.
Mo need to spend an hour or more setting up a hundred or more tiny pieces while trying to find tiny numbers on a map. No more struggling with manipulating stacks of counters in close proximity, where the wrong move can send many crashing down. No more making dozens of dice rolls and consulting many charts every turn.

so much easier to play, and the system is more historical and you have the benefit of a great AI when you play by yourself.

I never thought it would be possible for anything to overtake GBOH in tactical ancient gaming, but this game has done it, and it is not even close.
wzfcns
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by wzfcns »

vaalen wrote:I have also found this game to be a much better way of enjoying ancient battles than my favorite board game series, the Great Battles of History from GMT.
Mo need to spend an hour or more setting up a hundred or more tiny pieces while trying to find tiny numbers on a map. No more struggling with manipulating stacks of counters in close proximity, where the wrong move can send many crashing down. No more making dozens of dice rolls and consulting many charts every turn.

so much easier to play, and the system is more historical and you have the benefit of a great AI when you play by yourself.

I never thought it would be possible for anything to overtake GBOH in tactical ancient gaming, but this game has done it, and it is not even close.
GBOH is really a great board game
Working on the Silk Road mod for FOG2 and FOG2:Medieval.
BillLottJr
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by BillLottJr »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Yes.
Awsome! I'll be a first day purchaser.
Adraeth

Post by Adraeth »

Totally agree, this update and the DLC are great for they show just how the team listen to suggestions; sandbox campaign is improved thanks to feedback and team work, great!!

For incoming DLCs please go back in time, forward in time .... simple.... just cover "Field of Glory" tabletop.

Signed
Another wargamer without enough space and time to paint and build up a wargame table :D
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

Thoroughly impressed with the DLC so far. One of the things I've been experimenting with is taking the old factions and pitting them against the newer ones. Soissons vs Spartans is an interesting match-up; the Spartans field much stronger infantry, but Soissons has access to mediums and cavalry, so it becomes a battle of strength vs flexibility.
Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

Another vote for the "Swifter than Eagles" expansions!!! :D

I can'really t wait to use Assyrians vs Hittites and Elamites vs Babylonians ... :mrgreen:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
BillLottJr

Post by BillLottJr »

Lysimachos wrote:Another vote for the "Swifter than Eagles" expansions!!! :D

I can'really t wait to use Assyrians vs Hittites and Elamites vs Babylonians ... :mrgreen:
Plus owners of Immortal Fire could recreate the Persian conquests of Babylon & Egypt.

"Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting. Thy kingdom is divided, and given to the Medes and Persians".
Odenathus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Odenathus »

I'm going to be the fly in the ointment and say that I'd prefer the series to move forward in time, if only because the troop types and battles are more fully documented. I know we've the Bible, and bits from archaeology, but surely Assyrians and Babylonians, let alone the lads from Elam and Moab and Philistia, are going to be highly speculative?
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

Odenathus wrote:I'm going to be the fly in the ointment and say that I'd prefer the series to move forward in time, if only because the troop types and battles are more fully documented. I know we've the Bible, and bits from archaeology, but surely Assyrians and Babylonians, let alone the lads from Elam and Moab and Philistia, are going to be highly speculative?
Not significantly worse I think than what we already have in the game. There are next to no first hand accounts of anything in antiquity and we are relying on writers who were not there and if were are very lucky, they would be contemporaries of those who actually fought.

We already have rules in place for things like chariots. If we are willing to abandon the notion that these are serious simulations, the flavour would be quite nice to have.
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

I'm more of a fan of medieval warfare myself, so I'd quite like to move on to the dark ages. I want to play with Frankish cavalry, Norman knights and viking raiders!
shawkhan2

Post by shawkhan2 »

As Veruka demanded of Willie Wonka, I want Everything and I want it Now! :)

It looks like it will take me some time to assimilate Legions Triumphant so personally I can be patient (within reason)
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

Great DLC and sandbox campaign update! Legions Triumphant covers a very interesting period especially for the Roman army.

I'm most looking forward to medieval times (from 11th to 15th centuries especially). Another interesting option could be expanding further East to China and the neighboring areas. From what I have read most of the earliest civilizations mainly used light infantry and chariots in war which seems pretty limited.
cfeicht_slith
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by cfeicht_slith »

MVP7 wrote:Great DLC and sandbox campaign update! Legions Triumphant covers a very interesting period especially for the Roman army.

I'm most looking forward to medieval times (from 11th to 15th centuries especially). Another interesting option could be expanding further East to China and the neighboring areas. From what I have read most of the earliest civilizations mainly used light infantry and chariots in war which seems pretty limited.
I believe that there is a community created mega-mod out there that covers China.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

cfeicht_slith wrote:
MVP7 wrote:Great DLC and sandbox campaign update! Legions Triumphant covers a very interesting period especially for the Roman army.

I believe that there is a community created mega-mod out there that covers China.
A new extended version of which has just been made available.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”