Field of Glory II 'Table Top Mod' - AVAILABLE NOW!

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
lapdog666
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Field of Glory II 'Table Top Mod' - AVAILABLE NOW!

Post by lapdog666 »

is it a bugg that seleucid argyraspides are protected instead of "some armor" every other sucessor's equivalent has "some armor"

Pontus is really fun faction to play with
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

lapdog666 wrote:is it a bugg that seleucid argyraspides are protected instead of "some armor" every other sucessor's equivalent has "some armor"

Pontus is really fun faction to play with
I wouldn't call it a bug. With the Macedonian and Ptolemaic elite units, I think I came across some hazy references to their elite pike units possibly having some armour. It's all a matter of interpretation and guess work really, no one really knows for sure. Also, as the Argyraspides were meant to number 10,000, I thought they were unlikely to be as well equipped as the other much smaller guard units.

In the TT Mod, Eumenes silver shields and the Hypaspist pike are only protected as well.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

After the next DLC is released I will update the TT Mod to the latest version of the game, including all the latest improvements and features. I will also be making some minor changes/improvements to the original mod.

Unfortunately due to the already huge size of the download, I will not be able to add my own versions of the new armies. What I may do is just add the vanilla versions of the new armies to the TT Mod Army List.

thanks to all for your kind comments and appreciation!

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

Hello Paul59,

can you upload your own versions of the new armies, that you write about in your post" in a download link?

Thank
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

matlegob wrote:Hello Paul59,

can you upload your own versions of the new armies, that you write about in your post" in a download link?

Thank
The size of the mod is a big issue, it already is too big for some people to download, you can see several posts in the forum from people who have experienced trouble with it. So, I cannot make the mod any bigger than it already is.

It's possible that I might make the new armies (from Legions Triumphant and Age of Belisarius) available as a separate mod, but that is going to take a lot of work. It certainly will not happen until well after the Age of Belisarius DLC is released, for obvious reasons.

However, some early versions of the Legions Triumphant armies are already available in my "Rise and Fall of the Roman Army" campaign: Jewish Revolt, Dacian, Palmyran, Sassanid, Late German Foot, Hunnic and many Roman armies.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

Hello Paul59,

I have made improvements for your TT mod by adding the experience system and much more new shields patterns

the file is really big 1.94 G

I can send it to you via a downloadlink if you like
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Thanks matlegob,

I have already added the experience system to the next update of the TT Mod, plus many other improvements.

Your new shields are interesting, if you have DropBox, or something similar, you could pm me a link.

cheers

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

There should be some way of transmitting the mod in smaller chunks that can be compiled by the user.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

julianbarker wrote:There should be some way of transmitting the mod in smaller chunks that can be compiled by the user.
The issue is that a few systems have difficulty unpacking the packed files downloaded in-game from the official FTP when the file is very large. This problem is only like to be more common with even larger files.

However, there is nothing to stop a very large mod from being downloaded from DropBox or some other repository on the internet, and manually put in the /Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory2/CAMPAIGNS or /Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory2/MULTIPLAYER folder as appropriate.
Richard Bodley Scott

julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

That's what I meant. I remember the days when games came on ten or more 1.44Mb floppy disks.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

julianbarker wrote:That's what I meant. I remember the days when games came on ten or more 1.44Mb floppy disks.
And matlegob's version of TT Mod would require 1,347 floppy disks.
Richard Bodley Scott

SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

Oh man good old floppies, I remember cutting notches in single sided 5.25 inch ones to make them double sided.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

I have a bit of a dilemma about how to take forward the TT Mod in the future.

The mod currently covers the base game (Rise of Rome) and the first DLC (Immortal Fire), but it is already so large that many people have experienced problems when trying to download it from within the game. To extend the mod to cover the later DLCs will inevitably mean the download size will increase even more.

There are three possible solutions that I can see:

1) Limit the TT Mod to cover just the base game and Immortal Fire
That will not be popular with the many gamers that want the TT Mod to cover the new DLCs. It would also not please me, because I would have to extract all the new stuff and then test what is left, before posting it!

2) Split the Mod into parts
I am not sure if this is possible for the Slitherine download system to handle, but I don’t see why not. The problem is that there would be an ever increasing number of mod parts on the system, which might get very confusing. Remember, there are already 3 different TT Mods for download: Campaigns, Custom Battles and MP. So as we go forward there would be multiple parts for each one. I would also have to split the mod into smaller chunks, maybe 500Mb or less, a little more work for me, and it would of course cause problems for people who forget to download one of the parts.

3) Put the whole Mod on Dropbox.
This would be much easier for me. All I would have to do is copy my version of the mod into my Dropbox and post a link. But if the mod was no longer available as an in game download it would probably considerably reduce the number of people using it. How many players of the game come to this forum, and would see the download link thread? I would also have to give instructions on how to install the mod, and I am sure many people would have problems. It would also quickly use up my Dropbox storage limit, but I know there are ways to increase that.

Any thoughts?

FOGII TT Mod Creator

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Maybe split it up.
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

Two, if practicable, sounds like the best compromise between manageability and accessibility.
Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Kabill »

I've had a similar dilemma with a mod I made for another game in the past. Personally, I think 2 is your only option. Assuming you actually want to expand the mod (and posting the question implies you do), (1) doesn't seem to be an option. I might be misunderstanding the issue, but (3) is still going to have the problem of the mod being a large download, even if it's a bit more reliable than using the official method. As such, (2) is the only approach which actually resolves the issue, and while it does rely on people downloading all the relevant parts, I suspect you'll have fewer issues than having to explain to people how to install the mod manually (which I would argue has more points of confusion than simply realising you need to download multiple components from the in-game list).

However, as a fourth suggestion, aimed at resolving (3)'s problem of traffic: you could keep a partial version of the mod available via the in-game downloader but include in the description of the mod that for the full version covering all DLCs, there is an externally available download. That way, people are still aware of the mod, even if they have to go to some extra trouble to download it. I still think (2) is a better option overall, but if you were going to do (3) then that's how I'd approach it.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
lapdog666

Post by lapdog666 »

i'd actually like 1)

i'd flesh out existing major factions in TT vanila and Immortal fire. to the maximum, and then delete all the unnecessary generic star wars factions completely.

leave the game with 10-15 factions and their army lists

then when we get true medieval 1000+ AD era dlc, then focus on that fully. its comming, next dlc is probably pre med or med

i bet its charlemagne in 800s ad

do you people really want all these intermediary generic transitions? i cant even decide which dlc to play anymore, and they are all same. lets play some real medieval plate armour battles
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Kabill wrote:I've had a similar dilemma with a mod I made for another game in the past. Personally, I think 2 is your only option. Assuming you actually want to expand the mod (and posting the question implies you do), (1) doesn't seem to be an option. I might be misunderstanding the issue, but (3) is still going to have the problem of the mod being a large download, even if it's a bit more reliable than using the official method. As such, (2) is the only approach which actually resolves the issue, and while it does rely on people downloading all the relevant parts, I suspect you'll have fewer issues than having to explain to people how to install the mod manually (which I would argue has more points of confusion than simply realising you need to download multiple components from the in-game list).

However, as a fourth suggestion, aimed at resolving (3)'s problem of traffic: you could keep a partial version of the mod available via the in-game downloader but include in the description of the mod that for the full version covering all DLCs, there is an externally available download. That way, people are still aware of the mod, even if they have to go to some extra trouble to download it. I still think (2) is a better option overall, but if you were going to do (3) then that's how I'd approach it.
Thanks Kabill

Yes, I think I agree that option (2) is probably the best, if the Slitherine download system can handle it.

I think your option (4) would be very problematic when it comes to Multiplayer. You might have players with different versions of the mod trying to play against each other, which would lead to all sorts of mismatches and problems. Of course the same problem could occur with option (2), but I could design the parts so that you need all of them for the mod to work at all.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

I think (2) is probably the best way to go. (4) looks a good option though, but probably a lot more work for all concerned.
matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

Optio 2 and 4 for me

Return to “Field of Glory II”