Field of Glory II 'Table Top Mod' - AVAILABLE NOW!

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Field of Glory II 'Table Top Mod' - AVAILABLE NOW!

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul59 wrote:Yes, I think I agree that option (2) is probably the best, if the Slitherine download system can handle it.
As far as I know, it can't.
Richard Bodley Scott

Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Kabill »

rbodleyscott wrote:As far as I know, it can't.
Could it not be done by breaking it down into individual modules, e.g. one for the base game period, one for Immortal Fires, one for Legions Triumphant etc.? You'd lose the ability to play ahistorical match-ups across modules, but that's how I (mistakenly?) thought it would be operationalised, so each download can operate independent of the others.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Kabill wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:As far as I know, it can't.
Could it not be done by breaking it down into individual modules, e.g. one for the base game period, one for Immortal Fires, one for Legions Triumphant etc.? You'd lose the ability to play ahistorical match-ups across modules, but that's how I (mistakenly?) thought it would be operationalised, so each download can operate independent of the others.
Of course, yes, it can be done like that. I thought the proposal was that it should be one big mod but downloaded in sections.
Richard Bodley Scott

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Oh you mean cut it up but they are not stand-alone? Need all parts to work? All parts load to load one folder... Does that work?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

jomni wrote:Oh you mean cut it up but they are not stand-alone? Need all parts to work? All parts load to load one folder... Does that work?
No
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

rbodleyscott wrote:
jomni wrote:Oh you mean cut it up but they are not stand-alone? Need all parts to work? All parts load to load one folder... Does that work?
No
That is a great shame.

I suppose I could chop the mod up into separate stand alone parts. We would have Rise of Rome/Immortal Fire, and then LegionsTriumphant/Age of Belisarius, and then whatever DLCs follow in the future. That would disappoint the players that want to have non historical matchups, like Seleucids v Late Romans.

More importantly it would be a huge amount of work for me to split the mod up, and then maintain an ever increasing number of TT Mods.

I might need to think about this more!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul59 wrote:That would disappoint the players that want to have non historical matchups, like Seleucids v Late Romans.
True, but then again it is a bit strange to want to have the extra historical detail of the mod, and then use the armies to fight anachronistic opponents. If they want to do that, they can use the vanilla game.
Richard Bodley Scott

Scutarii
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Scutarii »

With the high quality of the mod and offering how offer a solution to the "problems" with vainilla version i dont think be a bad solution offer "official support" and release it as a game patch... maybe in separate packs based in DLCs to prevent need relaunch again it when appear a new DLC... apart is possible work in mod in pieces and not in a single file.

For me working like you are doing in mod that help a lot cover game weak point in art-army composition variety devs could give the mod ofiicial support and as i said release it as official game patches... or put you working in future DLCs because looks you have more idea of how made quality armies.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Paul59 wrote:More importantly it would be a huge amount of work for me to split the mod up, and then maintain an ever increasing number of TT Mods.

What kind of work is involved exactly? Is it something someone else could help with, without them being intimately familiar with the mods insides? (I can't make any promises - I'm often very busy with work - but this is an implicit offer to help with the maintenance side of things if that's viable).
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Kabill wrote:
Paul59 wrote:More importantly it would be a huge amount of work for me to split the mod up, and then maintain an ever increasing number of TT Mods.

What kind of work is involved exactly? Is it something someone else could help with, without them being intimately familiar with the mods insides? (I can't make any promises - I'm often very busy with work - but this is an implicit offer to help with the maintenance side of things if that's viable).
At the moment the TT Mod sits on my hard drive in one folder, that is all the units and armies for Rise of Rome, Immortal Fire, Legions Triumphant and Age of Belisarius.

So to create a Rise of Rome/Immortal Fire only mod, I would have to remove all the unwanted armies from the ArmyList.txt, that in itself is not too time consuming. The hard part is deleting all the unnecessary units and textures from Rise of Rome/Immortal Fire, and then testing all the armies to make sure that I have not deleted a unit by mistake.

The same process would be required for the Legions Triumphant/Age of Belisarius TT Mod. In that case I would have to delete all the units and textures relating to earlier armies that are not needed in the later time frame.

It don't sound too bad, but when you are dealing with so many army lists, with many that crossover into both time frames, it will get complicated. The potential for making a mistake and deleting something that is actually required is huge.

It might be a good idea to delete the unwanted units from the respective Squads.csv files, but that would also be potentially dangerous if a mistake is made.

Once that is done, creating new TT Mods to cover any future DLCs would be easier. I would just start each new mod from scratch. Of course any changes I make to existing units would require me to make the same changes in those earlier mods.

In short, you would have to be intimately familiar with modding and the armies/units in the TT Mod.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

Hello Paul59,

if the full version of TTmod is ready, could you put it on a download link?

thanks
lapdog666
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by lapdog666 »

one issue if find with TT mod is

Seleucid Cataphracts

they look weird, vanila cataphracts are better, more symetrical and natural
that breastplate on them just doesnt fit and seleucid cataphract , if they were to look unique, should have macedonian/thracian styled helmet or boeotian
golden color is also not very pleasing to the eye (armour)
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

lapdog666 wrote:one issue if find with TT mod is

Seleucid Cataphracts

they look weird, vanila cataphracts are better, more symetrical and natural
that breastplate on them just doesnt fit and seleucid cataphract , if they were to look unique, should have macedonian/thracian styled helmet or boeotian
golden color is also not very pleasing to the eye (armour)
Trust me, I would love to change the helmets, but that would need some serious 3D skills that I do not have. So I am stuck with the original models, and I can only make them look different by using different textures, and sometimes alpha layers to hide certain pieces of equipment. An alternative solution that I looked into was adding horse armour to the Xystophoroi model, but that was not possible.

I actually quite like the Seleucid Cataphracts, they are the same "golden" colour as one of the vanilla Cataphract textures, I just made the arm and leg armour the same colour and added the breastplate from the Armoured Hoplites. The Cataphract model was not designed to "wear" a breastplate, so it might not be ideal, just don't look close if it upsets you!

FOGII TT Mod Creator

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Same problem with my Chinese Heavy Cavalry
matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

Hello Paul59,

can we hope a full release with a dropbox link of your mod?

Thanks
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

matlegob wrote:Hello Paul59,

can we hope a full release with a dropbox link of your mod?

Thanks
I would rather release through the Slitherine's in game download system, but for the various reasons that were discussed earlier in this thread that is not possible, unless I split the TT Mod into parts. I am reluctant to do that for the following reasons:

1) I think it would disappoint some players who want to have everything together in one mod.

2) It would be a lot of work for me, both initially to separate the mod into different sub mods, and then into the future when I would have an ever increasing number of mods to maintain.

3) I think it would get very confusing for everyone to have 3 versions (Campaigns, Custom Battles, and MP) of each sub mod.

So at the moment it looks like I will decide to release the full mod via a DropBox link on this forum. But I need to think about this more, and I will not be rushed. I also want to add some more things to the Mod before the next release. I also do not want to release the Mod so soon after Age of Belisarius.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

Thank for your reply,

I am a bit impatient...
julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

Sounds like a good plan! I can be patient!
lapdog666

Post by lapdog666 »

a suggestion, wouldnt it be better to call* Ptolemaic regular phalanx " Ptolemaic Klerouchoi Pikemen/phalanx"

regular just seems off, especially since other successors have unique names
Last edited by lapdog666 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

lapdog666 wrote:a suggestion, wouldnt it be better to called Ptolemaic regular phalanx " Ptolemaic Klerouchoi Pikemen/phalanx"

regular just seems off, especially since other successors have unique names
Thanks, I will look into changing it.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Return to “Field of Glory II”