Pursuit after Combat

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Pursuit after Combat

Post by Old_Warrior »

Having played the Pike and Shot game - and not having been pleased with the pursuit distance - is FoG2 using the same length of pursuit for units? In other words will a pursuit suddenly veer away from following the routed troops and strike other units in the flank thus becoming a wild kamikaze unit?

Although I was a beta tester for FoG2 my system had slow graphics for most of the testing and I never got into the combat part of the game. Just asking as if I remember there is a way to shorten the pursuit path by adjusting the scenario file(s). I found the pursuit and breakoff to attack targets of opportunity most distasteful and if that is happening in FoG2 I will be sure to think over whether I buy the game for that reason AND for the fact the Slitherine never really did finish up the FoG game modules correctly. If this game goes the same path - well I am not investing a couple hundred dollars on the core game and all the modules just to find out it gets dropped again.....
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Pursuit after Combat

Post by rbodleyscott »

Only mounted troops, warbands and raw troops pursue in FOG2, so there is less pursuing than in Pike and Shot. But pursuing units will still attack targets of opportunity. Sorry you don't like that, but it is an intentional part of the design. You could alter it to your taste by modding the game scripts (C-script code), but not by altering scenario files.

FOG2 is developed by an entirely different developer (Byzantine Games) from both the original (HexWar) and the Unity (NewRoSoft) version of FOG1. I was one of the co-authors of the original tabletop rules, but had nothing to do with the development of either version of FOG1.

FOG1 Unity was supposed to be a 3-month conversion job, but after more than 5 years of development it still lacks certain features, so Slitherine eventually and reluctantly had to pull the plug on funding further development.

However, there is no reason to suppose that anything similar will happen to FOG2.
Richard Bodley Scott

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Pursuit after Combat

Post by Old_Warrior »

Good to hear that like P&S we can mod the game scripts. And yes, I feel that with you overseeing the project (FoG2) it has a MUCH better chance of finishing up! :)

Return to “Field of Glory II”